Deep meditation

Who here meditates? I'm getting back to concentration meditation after a break. It killed every social overthinking but now my autobiographical memory went to shit because I don't think about the past.

I'm either asleep or awake though. I can't get much deep into it. Probably because a few minutes to half a hour a day isn't much, but I've done it on and off this year and I can't see stuff or lucid dream during a session. Not that I'm striving or expect to.

I've read about people who claim crazy shit cognitive-wise so I'd like to know if any of you science guys is into it for this purpose. I'd like to get some more motivation to continue since I'm doing fine without.

youtube.com/watch?v=yZgtsfj-W7g

Other urls found in this thread:

mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/whiteNoiseGenerator.php.
dharmatreasure.org/wp-content/uploads/LightOnMeditationHandout.pdf
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2740691
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't know about "deep meditation", but sitting a while calmly really helps.
For 15 minutes, just sit somewhere in the sun and watch the leaves blow in the wind and the insects buzz around the flowers.
Don't think of anything else. Nothing about how you feel about it.
Just what you see is all you are.

That really helps me. I don't know if that's meditation or what. But it's something that helps me stay grounded.

>I don't know if that's meditation or what.
It certainly is. Tonight I spent 45 min in a half asleep, half awake state before actually sleeping. Didn't get much out of it. Did not move though, only my mouth and eyes. Slipped in a few shallow dreams. I'm going to do this until I'm aware all night long.

>Who here meditates? I'm getting back to concentration meditation after a break. It killed every social overthinking

OP teach me how to meditate to stop social overthinking.

Playing some vydia or reading a book for about an hour has the same benefits.

>OP teach me how to meditate to stop social overthinking.
Sit in front of your PC and focus on white noise. This website is great:

mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/whiteNoiseGenerator.php.

Do it for 5 min. Do it for 1 min five times a day. You need to be focused on/mindful/aware only of the noise which is a continuous stimuli so you know it when you derail.

Doing it for 15, 30 min and more per session yields more benefits but not if you can't concentrate for more than 10 s at a time. So I'd say short duration and great focus would be preferred at first.

You can do this with your breath, with a picture, etc... the object of concentration may vary. Since you force control over your thoughts, you stop giving a shit.

This can be very hard for some people. Today rarely a session can be a complete failure and a source of frustration (i.e. I don't concentrate much and let stupid shit run in my head).

Then I fap like once a week for maintenance because of nofap so I don't give a shit about women as well. I can keep eye contact for how much time I want and I deliberately do so as exercise.

>Playing some vydia or reading a book for about an hour has the same benefits
Yeah, keep saying that to yourself, slob.

When I was trying out polyphasic sleep I used to meditate as a partial sleep replacement for those times I was supposed to take a nap but couldn't fall asleep. It works at least for that. Does OP do the thing were you focus on your breathing, or are there are ways to meditate?

Polyphasic sleep never worked for me, though.

I tried this polyphasic schedule: 12 PM to 03 AM, then again sleep from 12 AM to 03 PM. Surprisingly I had no much problem waking up. Like you say falling asleep was difficult though.

I read once on dharma overground of a guy claiming to have used hard jhanas as a substitute for sleep, needing thus an hour or so of rest very day If I'm not mistaken.

When you do polyphasic the only thing that matters is sleeping/resting only in your sleep windows. I halted my experimentation because of the inconvenience of sleeping during the day.

Now I only want to slip in a short and refreshing meditation session every time I feel tired. You need a lot of dedication and meditation experience to do so though. I have hard time napping as well.

>Does OP do the thing were you focus on your breathing, or are there are ways to meditate?

Yes, like I said in the other post you can focus on a lot of things; given that you don't start wandering with your thoughts.

>12 PM to 03 AM, then again sleep from 12 AM to 03 PM

12PM is 12:00, noon, sun in the sky. 12AM is 24:00/00:00, midnight, don't go outside time.

the way you posted makes it sound like you slept 15 hours

>12PM is 12:00, noon, sun in the sky. 12AM is 24:00/00:00, midnight, don't go outside time.
Thank you for clarifying. That doesn't make much sense though. You go from ..., 10 AM, 11 AM to 12 PM. Then from ..., 10 PM, 11 PM, to 12 AM.

[math]00:00=24:00[/math].
[math](00:00,12:00][/math] should be AM.
[math](12:00,24:00][/math] should be PM.

It's past meridiem, not past or equal meridiem, hence [math]x=12:00[/math] does not qualify.
Since [math]12:00[/math] can only be AM, [math]24:00[/math] should be called PM.

But [math]12:00[\math] does not qualify as ante meridiem either because can't be [math]12:00

My cognitive-wise claims:

Meditation is simply developing a parasympathetic dominance. And by meditation I of course am making a reference to the best kind of meditation: breath awareness. I don't believe in focusing on other things instead, but I assume some of the things people choose to focus on could have a similar but weaker effect. Meditation should be learned progressively, as in, at first you learn to meditate for at least one minute, than you go for two minutes, three minutes and so on. The benefits are realized as you progress like this daily, and don't happen without progress. It feels like getting used to a mysterious but better way of thinking, better in a way you can measure with cognitive tasks, specially working memory tests. These improvements disappear at the moment that you drop meditation as well, and this new way of thinking feels very slippery and easy to lose in the first weeks. Interestingly, your biggest distraction can be insights that you get when you raise the filter bar up for thoughts, there is a tendency that only great thoughts put you off of it. You get used to a lack of euphoria towards small, common things, your meditating mind starts to identify this kind of euphoria as a distraction. Instead, only greater, harder things can make you happy if you meditate. When listening to ideas, you will develop a more analytical approach as you fill your mind with more information than you were used to before reacting. As the days pass, you will certainly notice a process you will have strengthened that you will later learn to be called meta-cognition. You will realize the infinite dimension of intelligence and how low yours is, and how dumb humans/animals/computers are. You will see the binary basis of your own mind. You will stop doing something if you can't be aware of your breath while at it: most of these things will feel to be done in a "possessed" state of mind. This is the aspect that can develop into introspection.

Continuing: this is the aspect that can develop into introspection, because other people will not only often look "possessed" from your point of view, but will try to drag you to these activities where they and you couldn't be aware of your own breaths without great mastery. So in order to not lose your friends, you will have to progressively expose yourself in your own free time to such activities, they could be as simple as listening to music or jokes, without losing your breath awareness. The activity should be stopped as soon as you lose it, so that you regain it and continue. A meditator doing this is regulated by his fear of losing his power, so if he can only expose himself for small periods of time, that is what he will do. Eventually, in the example of listening to music, you develop the ability to meditate while at it, and certainly that same happens for every activity that was once distracting. It is a very beautiful process from introspection towards extrospection, your friends will notice something great about you which they can't put the finger on without being verbal slobs: they will say it is some kind of presence that makes their eyes shine with infinite curiosity as if you were the river of life and vigor, others will try to describe you mentioning someone ideally important to them. Even before such social recognition happens, you will learn to love the opportunity to meditate and succeed with the difficulty of external distractions, just like an athlete loves the challenge in sport. It is not an adrenaline rush, it is something that feels constant and defines you.

I don't know what meditation is.

Can you explain step by step how you do it. And why?

Thank you, much appreciated. I'm not much around people lately so I was wondering whether this change would be noticeable during cognitive demanding tasks such as mathematics, that is what I'm doing now for most of the day.

dharmatreasure.org/wp-content/uploads/LightOnMeditationHandout.pdf

>And by meditation I of course am making a reference to the best kind of meditation: breath awareness.
Are you supposed to try to breathe slower or deeper while this, or just normally?

>Are you supposed to try to breathe slower or deeper while this, or just normally?
Not him but I'd say you don't try to influence breath, just pay attention to it. It gets less and less detectable as meditation goes on.

Just normally. If you want to know if you are breathing correctly from a medical point of view, see if it is constant and not more frequent than 20 bpm while sitting. Ignore this >It gets less and less detectable as meditation goes on.
This is a common mistake beginners pick up somewhere

>This is a common mistake beginners pick up somewhere

You need less oxygen when you relax. That's not a misconception. That's how the body works.

>We measured oxygen consumption (VO2) in eight normal male volunteers during sleep, using the ventilated-hood method. Data were collected over 28 subject-nights. There was an overnight trend of gradually decreasing VO2 in the first 4 h, followed by a rise toward the morning.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2740691