thought on the film?

great fun
good adaptation
joaquin phoenix nails it

bet your wish joaqin pheonix nailed your mom so you were'nt born a loser LOL

liked it but have only read vineland and bleeding edge

you've read his two weakest
why

Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.

Yeah go read TCL49. Pocket Pynchon! Teeny but still good, and you don't have to work through like 10 pages of someone shitting in an elderly nazi's mouth.

tbf he's quite handsome, but there's a chance I would have inherited his hare lip

Perfect.

joaquin phoenix is hot

I haven't read the book (I've read the 3 big ones though) and I liked it. It felt like Pynchon-lite filtered through PTA, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It had the paranoia/control/conspiracy/coincidence/uncertainty angle, and executed it well. On the other hand it lacked Pynchonian weirdness, it was a little too normal.

I loved Brolin, the scene where Bigfoot eats the weed is fucking perfect.

Oh and Waterston is preposterously hot.

PTA toned down his formalism and upped the weirdness. okay as far as film adaptations go.

to be perfectly honest, I would've preferred the Coen brothers

I will forever love this copypasta and I won't ever dare to get tired of it.

It's pretty damn good.

That pasta is shitforced m8

just like pynchon, huh?

Too much on the short side, cut off some of the best parts of the book - but it was a better adaptation than anyone could have hoped for, which isn't saying much considering our expectations. Overall a pass, feels neutered and not weird enough.

>cut off some of the best parts of the book
This is a terrible reason to judge an adaptation. Butthurt Harry Potter fans dislike the films because of this, when the films are actually better. Not saying IV was better than the book, I'm just saying there more reasons than just narrative to judge the adaptation.

I was merely disappointed when I didn't get to see some of my favourite parts from the book, it's entirely subjective.

You're right though, it's unfair to judge a movie on this basis - let's just say that IV as a movie didn't strike me enough in any of its aspects to warrant a judgement independent from its being an adaptation, unlike say Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or Satantango. Our criteria on this issue may vary.

this

>I'm just saying there more reasons than just narrative to judge the adaptation.

he's just saying the shitty hollywood system PTA works within prevents a free adaptation of the novel

He's right

Spanky fucky scene was great.
Talked the girl I was dating when I saw it into letting me do that to her.
Actually I didn't really talk her into it. I just asked her if I could and she said yeah. She didn't even have to think it over.
It was pretty enjoyable desu

what print of the film are you watching because the picture quality is kind of bad

A: 10
V: 10

Thanks YIFY!

Still can't find Pynchon in the movie anywhere.

I didn't like it. I thought it was too serious

apparently in the mental hospital (?) scene but I can't be sure

do you mean too "by the books" (for a Pynchon adaptation) because if so I agree.

>nazi
actually read it this time

When Joaquin Phoenix and Owen Wilson are talking one-on-one at the band house, there's a glass wall behind them. Pynchon walks by and peeks through for a little bit.

Cool movie, shame they didn’t do it as a one-season mini-series, which would have allowed for all the elements to be included.

>film
It's a flick.

I have one gripe with the movie and it's the "emotional" string soundtrack by Johnny Greenwood that pops up a few times throughout the film. Just awful. Greenwood's score for the Golden Fang scene with Martin Short was alternatively perfect though.

I miss the YIFI shitposting on /tv/ and piratebay

it's kino

wasn't bad

wasn't great

the rumour that he was in it had no credibility to begin with

its an imax blue ray rip

this man knows

its buddy on the left, doc passes by him turns back around and points his finger at him

he's also the figure that appears lurching behind that glass

looks exactly like the pissed off guy who got photographed in manhattan with his kid

the book was shit and so was the movie

HBO Mason & Dixon adaptation when?

yeah im guessing thats it

cool stuff pops

Look a bit too young to be him, no?

I have a number of thoughts on the film and would appreciate if somebody could tell me if they are valid.

Keep in mind, I haven't gotten around to reading the book yet, so these ideas only apply to the film.

I think the ending is taken from The Sun Also Rises. As TSAR is a criticism of the 1920s, IV is a criticism of the inefficacy of the 1960s. Doc is alone as the last pure member of the 60s. Everybody else has either sold out like Shashta or has taken the drugs too far and got hooked on heroin. The police still violate civil rights and the oppression of minorities has shifted to gentrification. This is the inherent vice; the idealism of the 60s could only last so long before spoiling. In the end, Doc and Shasta end up in the same position they were at the beginning, just like the characters (fucking whatever their names were) in TSAR. I mean, the 60s stuff seems obvious, but is the TSAR allusion conceivable?

>you will never smoke weed with pynchon

damn shame

does JN have any screen time in this?

yes

she was fantastic. loved her

He does look like he's aged relatively well

There was this "artist's rendering" of what he could possibly have looked like. I think he knew what he looked like but made one change to preserve Pynchon's semi-anonymity: he gave him short hair.

This. The thing with his lip is hot

Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.

Any more?

hair could be a wig