Space Travel

So if I understand correctly, unless our scientists discover/invent something(s) miraculous we won't see space travel outside of our solar system in our lifetimes? Or maybe in Human history?

Other urls found in this thread:

convertalot.com/relativistic_star_ship_calculator.html
google.com/search?q=distance between stars in galactic center
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_starship
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
lmgtfy.com/?q=NASA using magnetic fields to bend spacetime
youtube.com/watch?v=EzZGPCyrpSU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes.

Pretty much.

Gotta get to arrakis nigga

Yes. But It's all just matter in different boring combinations anyway.

Space travel?
What you really mean is that you personally won't live your personal Buck Rodgers fantasy of walking barefoot on a alien world.
We've had viable starship designs since before you were born, the real obstacles are political and economic.

Time dilation makes traveling to the stars a lonely experience; whatever you leave behind you leave behind permanently. On the bright side, time dilation, if you're traveling at significant fractions of c, can make any journey to a star, from your perspective, short (everything is just a few days away at high enough fractions). But is it possible to propel yourself to significant fractions of c in a reasonable amount of time?

There have been several threads here through the years that went in to great detail about possible propulsion methods that could get you to significant fractions of c within a reasonable amount of time.

First, there is more than enough energy coming from the sun. If we ever find a propulsion method (fuel, energy storage method) which is powerful and dense enough to do this, the sun will provide more than enough energy to produce it. Antimatter is a fuel that could propel a ship to as fast as you want to go. Black holes are ultra-dense energy sources which could power any theoretical propulsion method, and the black holes themselves can in theory be created and manipulated with ultra-powerful lasers and a lot of energy (sun).

I think the effects of time dilation will insure that all but the closest stars are only ever explored by robots, as most humans won't be copacetic with leaving behind humanity permanently. Also, black holes and antimatter on my space ship? No thanks, I'll let the robots handle that shit. There will never be a future where humans live on multiple star systems and routinely visit each other in spaceships with commerce and such between stars. Time dilation will force everyone to live on an island. Exploration will be experienced vicariously through robotic exploration missions which take millennia to return data.

Distances in space are very, very big. Even when traveling at light speed.

It's like with terraforming. People watch a movie and think that shit is just 50 years away even though we're still burning coal to generate energy.

>everything is just a few days away at high enough fractions
Nope.
Not if you're limiting yourself to 1-2ish G's of acceleration.
At 1g, it takes 10 months to reach 0.707c, the speed where 1 light year takes 1 year of ship time (and 17 moths to an outside observer).

Unless you can survive really high g's for a long time, it's still gonna take years to get to the nearest stars.

Here, play with this:
convertalot.com/relativistic_star_ship_calculator.html

>There will never be a future where
Sentences that start this way are often wrong, and usually baseless.

My point didn't consider acceleration times, I simply stated that everything is a few days away at high enough fractions of c, which is a true statement which drive my point home that time dilation makes the stars accessible from the point of view of people on the ship; discussing acceleration times would be superfluous.

First you point out that if you consider acceleration times with a human on board it will actually take longer, which paints an even more challenging picture than what I said but doesn't change the point, then you say the skepticism for humans travelling around the stars is baseless

Nice

Hey, I too believe that there might be future discoveries which make interstellar space travel feasible, but at least I don't pretend that the current skepticism is baseless

And radiation...

>And radiation...
Not much of a problem if we keep speeds under, let's say 0.1c.
Generation ships are more plausible than near light speed travel and time dilation, they're just less appealing because you won't live to see your grandkid's new home.

>discussing acceleration times would be superfluous.
Except that you can't reach your high speeds without accelerating.
At one g, the closest star is 3.5 years away (ship time).
You just aren't going to get a human to another star in days, no matter how much you want to.

>at least I don't pretend that the current skepticism is baseless
OK, what IS the basis for your claim?

>There will never be a future where humans live on multiple star systems and routinely visit each other in spaceships with commerce and such between stars.
What if humans migrated to the galactic core?
Stars are much closer together there, and even radio communications might be plausible.
google.com/search?q=distance between stars in galactic center
> stellar density near the Galactic center is ~100 stars per cubic parsec (compared to ~1 star per cubic parsec in the stellar neighborhood).
>This corresponds (assuming I did my math right) to an average distance between stars of 0.13 parsecs (0.42 lightyears).

>most humans won't be copacetic with leaving behind humanity permanently
C'mon. at least 5% will be goddamnit

>tfw you will never leave humanity behind

Yup, no living human will reach any destination outside of the solar system.

They locked their prey on this rock in space.

sauce?

>So if I understand correctly, unless our scientists discover/invent something(s) miraculous we won't see space travel outside of our solar system in our lifetimes?

Wrong. Even if we find out about an intelligent civilization living on an Earth like planet around Proxima Centauri you STILL will not see interstellar space travel in the next 90 years.

>Or maybe in Human history?

Who cares after you're dead?

Worse, unless we discover something miraculous interstellar travel at relativistics speeds will remain impossible due to the huge energy demands.
And by miraculous I really mean upsetting physics more than the upset of the Newtonian model by the theory of relativity. Which if you look at it wasn't an upset at all. The new model kept the old one intact and just relegated it to being a special case that still holds true at low velocities.
Any future theory will most likely keep Newton and Einstein intact as well, which means we won't travel to other stars, sadly. Still, we gotta try and hope for freak chance.

The WARP DRIVE EXISTS AND WE CAN BUILD IT NOW!!!

Yes.
>mfw

living in a region densely populated by stars increases the risk of your space colony getting decimated by GRBs and high velocity star flybys.

I think he meant new technologies, rather than potential targets.

Tell someone from 150 years ago that you could be in China within a day and they would tell you it's impossible. Tell them you can fly there and they would probably say it's physically impossible.

Never underestimate human ingenuity.

goddamn i hate this shitty argument, typically spouted by people with zero scientific background

you can always opt for cryogenic sleep. by the time you can be awaken, they'll already have miraculous techies.

Correct just provide me with some negative mass and I'll take you to alpha centauri tomorrow

Yeah because you can trust some company who are shelling out thousands to keep your legally dead body on ice and not throw it in a ditch

Wrong. Interstellar travel is perfectly possible, just depends on the time you want to spend and energy resources you want to use.
If we would really want we could probably build a probe to nearest stars that could reach them within a century.

With 0.1-0.3c you can reach nearest stars within a lifetime.

> Exploration will be experienced vicariously through robotic exploration missions which take millennia to return data.
Why would it take millennia to reach Tau Ceti or Alpha Centauri?

>Worse, unless we discover something miraculous interstellar travel at relativistics speeds will remain impossible due to the huge energy demands
>And by miraculous I really mean upsetting physics more than the upset of the Newtonian model by the theory of relativity.

That's absurd, even with our current energy resources we could send a probe to other stars that would reach it within a century or two.

> Even if we find out about an intelligent civilization living on an Earth like planet around Proxima Centauri you STILL will not see interstellar space travel in the next 90 years.

>interstellar travel not possible
/x/ is this way--->

No. You are wrong, it's all about priority and commitment. The physics is known, it's just a question of why. Why spend billions on a ship to travel to an other star and then back with the potential of everything going to hell and you won't get your investment back either way?

We have the means already. See:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_starship

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

lmao read the fucking articles before posting them you

>We have the means already
>Black_hole_starship
>Alcubierre_drive
Yeah, no.
Having a napkin sketch of a theoretical exotic propulsion system is not the same thing as actually being able to BUILD that propulsion system.

Magbeam propulsion, laser sails, even nuclear pulse engine rockets are possible and don't require breakthrough in physics.

And how do you do that without violating conservation of momentum, conservation of energy, theory of relativity, the rocket equation etc?

do the math!

(and what human made device with the complexity of space going equipment has ever shown to keep funtioning for "a century or two"?)

Underrated, you Harkonnen scum

Interstellar travel doesn't violate any of these
If you believe interstellar travel is violating rules of universe, then /x/ is this way->

Nice display of reading comprehension...
I was asking a question not making a statement.
Do you care to reread the post to grasp the question and then answer it?

Since interstellar travel doesn't violate law of physics there is nothing forbiding it.

You don't understand correctly

It hardly matters.

O'Neill, Lewis responds to the limits to growth on Earth with detailed plans to first ameliorate them by accessing space resources on Earth, followed by human space colonization of the entire Solar System. In this light, he asserts that "Shortage of resources is not a fact; it is an illusion born of ignorance".[1]:255 He claims that colonies built with the natural resources of the asteroid belt alone, including limitless space-based solar power, could eventually support a vast civilization of "several tens of quadrillion (1016)s of people".[1]:199

economics

Not really, NASA has testing for an Alcubierre type system currently in production. If they are fully funded throughout the project we are going to see inner system travel in our life times.

Intersystem travel is more unlikely, but would come with an efficient drive of the same type.

Prediction: We're going to see the start of Mars Colonization, but only the concepts designs for Inter-System ships.

>doesn't know the difference between insure and ensure
>here listen to my drivel

time to go get a real education instead of posting /x/ tier garbage on Veeky Forums

>NASA discovered negative mass and exotic matter

source? kek

They're attempting it using a theory based on magnetic fields being able to bend space. End date is 2022 right now and it's only a first step experiment that will show if the Alcubierre drive is possible using current technology. The lab that's doing it is currently called Eagleworks

The system keeps thinking this is spam and it's super frustrating. Try the following search, it's the fourth link down, final few paragraphs contain a link to the abstract.

lmgtfy.com/?q=NASA using magnetic fields to bend spacetime

Finally! Also, here's the image I meant to post.

The best way to ensure we see interstellar travel within our lifetimes is to cure ageing so that we get a lot longer than about 80 years to live.

If we don't manage to do that, we have essentially zero chance of seeing anything like interstellar travel.

is this relevant?

youtube.com/watch?v=EzZGPCyrpSU

That's no answer.
Do the math!
For starters calculate the mass of the vehicle that reaches 0.3c.