Is this book worth a read?

I dropped it after fifteen pages. Couldn't stand it. Could anyone who liked it post why they did?

Yeah on page 16 shit gets cray cray. Couldn't put it down after that.

One of my favourite books, definitely worth checking out.

The writing style for me was a perfect balance between raw incisiveness and dreamy poetics. Like a blend of some of the best features of CĂ©line and Pessoa. As expected from that, it's profound and hilariously funny at the same time.

Style aside, I love Miller's project of the redefinition and realisation of a new heroism for the modern age. I love his talent for seeking out the very dregs of life and conquering everything mean and awful he finds there.

It's one of the most critically acclaimed novels of tge the 20th century, so us, one would imagine so.

i really enjoyed it also -- if you're looking for plot there's not much to it. follows a group of expats after the golden age has passed -- you know the 20s with hem, joyce, fitz for the down and out 30s of fake writers, actresses, artists and nouveau-rich and dirt poor.the protagonist spends most the novel looking for his next meal, bed and lay. nothing gets resolved and there's no significant character arc.

however when miller really gets going his prose is wonderful... here's to shooting hot lightning bolts into womens vaginas. that something i can aspire to.

I got about 3/4 of the way through and decided I just didn't care. It was just meandering recollections of having been a dick.

'just' seems like an unfair value judgement.

always hated Henry Miller. Real douche bag of sexism, for whom women are just "cunts" to straighten out while he looks for a quarter on the floor. Then I read how a Christian writer of archetypes like Gene Wolfe is sexist and I laugh inside.Perhaps our world views are incompatible, but I despise the bum lifestyle Henry Miller lived and don't have any sympathy for the On the Road type beats, so I'm not the audience for this book. I don't think it is great, having, as has been said, no character development, little structure, and little point beyond slightly glamorizing being a piece of shit ...

I enjoyed it. Miller was a bit of an edgelord and thank god he could write because otherwise he was a worthless bum. And it sounds like Paris was full of crackpots, bums and losers in the 1930's.

I really liked Black Spring by Miller which was a mix of childhood remembrances from New York and surreal visions of the state of the world in depression era Europe.

Deserves more recognition than just being a precursor to the Beat generation. His prose makes almost every paragraph in Tropic of Cancer (and Tropic of Capricorn for that matter) a work of genius.

I personally rank him right alongside Joyce when it comes to modernist authors.

No one cares what you think lass.

Yes

Underrated post

Yes.

I don't know if I like a book until I know what Bloom says about it....Nope he/we doesn't like it.

Miller reminds me a bit of DH Lawrence and William S. Burroughs. Definitely interesting guys. definitely original thinkers. They all three contributed to intellectual freedom. But they also have some crackpot ideas and I am thankful they never got anywhere near political power because I can see them turning authoritarian very quickly

Hijacking this thread.

I've read both Tropic books and thought they were amazing. What should I read next by him?

Fuck yes. It's great. Miller is funny as shit imo. talks about some guys eyes as two dried clams and all this. It's really good. Kinda a must read to be honest--you have to go through a Miller phase at like 16-24 somewhere in there. Read the whole Rosy Crucifixion.

I have no idea, but this plump beauty sure is worth of a tribute.

I enjoyed it in bursts but never finished it because it's just too much of the same and the edge doesn't really hold up today.

I'm guessing the nexus sexus plexus stuff although I've never read him.

rosary trilogy something i guess

also something colossus in greece good

yawn

If you think Miller has anything to do with that shitty On the Road then you haven't given him a chance