How can any scientist believe in G-d?

How can any scientist believe in G-d?
After all Science is the practice of reason and proof.
And there is no reasonable proof to for the existence of G-d.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XvHcZciihJw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Compartmentalization

>There's no proof for an article of faith

Well shit, who'd have thought it.

>And there is no reasonable proof to for the existence of G-d.

Just because you keep repeating that doesn't make it true.

Look we cant prove there isn't G-d, but just like any claim in science we must show proof for a claim.

Bait

>science is the practice of reason and proof
Science can never prove a single thing. Science only fails to falsify.

Why are fedoras so retarded?

Hilarious bait thread, but there's also no way to directly disprove it. Prove me wrong and I'll give you a high five

>it's an off-topic autism thread

Because they look like shit on everyone no matter who handsome you are.

>science
>proving stuff

They only subject that ever proves anything is mathematics.

There's no evidence for theism

Evidence you're wrong are all just holding one page from the bible

>Science only fails to falsify

Science doesn't give a rats ass if something is falsified as long as it's useful.

>can't tell the difference between theism and american protestantism

Children these days....

There's no evidence that anyone but myself exists

Nothing to do with the argument. The existence of an external world and other minds are basic beliefs, they don't require evidence. You claimed there's plenty of evidence for theism, which is simply false.

>are basic beliefs, they don't require evidence

How dogmatic of you.

Do you even know what basic beliefs are?

>no proof

When you discard any evidence outright, you can say that about everything.

youtube.com/watch?v=XvHcZciihJw

The absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence.

Just because you can't prove something now, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

There are known, known = Thing that we know.
There are known, unknowns = Things that we know that we don't know.
Then there is unknowns, unknowns = Things that we don't that we do not know.

Also: Believing in a God requires faith not reason or proof.

But that is where you're wrong user.
Take any belief and ask yourself why you believe it.
You will usually get a long string of reasons and beliefs all that lead to faith.
Science is about results. Science is respected because it works. Gods are losing respect because they are turning out to be bullshit.
Reminds me of negative and imaginary numbers. Looked like bullshit until people found a use for them.

Absence of evidence IS evidence of absence when evidence is expected.

" In some circumstances it can be safely assumed that if a certain event had occurred, evidence of it could be discovered by qualified investigators. In such circumstances it is perfectly reasonable to take the absence of proof of its occurrence as positive proof of its non-occurrence."

>2016
>autistic edgelords still don't understand the difference between knowledge and faith

There is no proof against it either

Keep an open mind

So dark matter and string theory might as well be bullshit?
Lack of evidence does not necessarily mean inexistence

Does not *necessarily* imply nonexistence, but in many cases it does imply nonexistence, including this one.

i saw this comment and just had to weigh in on how retarded you are

you do realize the whole reason we theorize about dark matter is because of the OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE IT EXISTS yet we can't find it anywhere, but the proof is literally all around us

Faggot

>There's no evidence for theism
ummm... it's called the Bible?

By this one I meant theism, in case I wasn't clear enough.

This is bait

>Doesn't believe in gods
>still types G-d

Which god are you talking about?
Jehovah?

I will rape your boi pussi

Only 21st century edgy sjw piece of shits have spread this atheism cancer.

Try to read Descartes's "Metaphysical meditations", so fucking good

Oh, it's called in English "Meditations on first philosophy"

I know I said that some where on this thread.
> Believing in a God requires faith not reason or proof.
faith =/= factual its just an opinion as educated as it may be.

>Science doesn't give a rats ass if something is falsified as long as it's useful
The idea that there is one almighty god ruling everyone is useful because it can unify people (even though it's not falsified). Does this mean science approves of the existence of God?

> one god
No point in reading any further

>G-d

Jew detected. Why are you trying to confuse people? Atheists are easier to take advantage of, I guess.

They acknowledge the limits of what human subjectivity can discover

I don't know about you future baristas, but everyone I knew who graduated out of engineering, almost all were completely atheists or "le spiritual".

more like "baby's first philosophy book"
Descartes is full of shit

>considers faith to be a sign of personal weakness
>competes with other grads for unpaid internships on the premise that if you bring coffee to engineers they'll let you become a real one

Is this bait? What do you classify someone who's neither a complete atheist or "le spiritual"? I feel like those are the only two things you can be. Also, how exactly do you know everyone's religious beliefs? You can't possibly know every graduating engineers religion unless you asked them all. Even if we're talking about only the engineers you consider your friends, why are a bunch of engineering pals talking about religious beliefs with each other outside the classroom? That's a fedora-tier conversation topic and you should be ashamed.

Yeah you really have to go on the Internet to find all those enlightened religious intellectuals. Nobody in engineering school and physics grad school gave a flying fuck about religion.

Then I fell for the memes of "theology is like super deep philosophy my man" so I read the whole Summa Teologica.
Man what a fucking waste of time. I guess it has a purely historical interest as the first book that's so systematic, but the actual philosophy and logic is garbage.
>There are things that are more or less good, and the existence of a scale implies the existence of an absolute of highest degree, therefore there is something that is the greater degree of good. We call that thing God.
Like, how can anyone read this and actually think "wow so deep I'm really convinced, Aquinas is really luminous"? Like fuck, how does it not take you 3 seconds to see the problem? Do those people unironically believe this is a satisfying demonstration?

I even enjoy good philosophy. This is not fucking it.

>projecting this hard

Already got a $20/hr internship for the summer, moving onto a 85k/year full-time job next year.

But hey, if you pray hard enough maybe god will help you out lmfao

By "le spiritual" he meant abstract deists ala Spinoza or New Age. Faggot.

David Suzuki really needs to be in that top list.

go back to sci, ignorant cock gobbler

i think a lot of academic scientists don't have any reason to believe in god. my impression from being around them is they're bourgeoisie from birth and feel just in their lives. they may or may not be wrong and an attack or support of them is pointless to my argument. they can hedge their bets against faith by claiming they're working for the progress of humanity to greater material wealth and comfort.

this is going to sound trite but what about quantum mechanics and entropy suggest that some crazy thing like the life and resurrection of jesus christ was impossible? i can't think of any refutation. so it doesn't matter what a scientist believes personally. most people in the world are religious, and i don't think that scientists are exempt from superstition or faith because they know how to conduct science.