What's your opinion on Haruki Murakami?

What's your opinion on Haruki Murakami?

This man, in my country, he is nothing

hes a qt

His books aren't as bad as their reputation on Veeky Forums

There still not that great, don't get me wrong.

Read that one book where she is so depressed and he fucks her and all her friends. Like a Japanese Salinger but with a lot of fucking. 5/10.
Maybe Wind Up Bird is better?

Could it be that he's not quite popular on Veeky Forums because he's actually popular with the critics? Veeky Forums wouldn't be Veeky Forums, it it wouldn't be at least a bit contrarian.

Quite enjoyed NW. I'd recommend it if you're 18-22.

murakami is not popular with the critics by any stretch

Veeky Forums is mostly about the canon. the books lit loves are critical favorites

'The books Veeky Forums likes are books that Harold Bloom likes'.
Ftfy.

I don't read gook books.

among many others.

lit is probably the least contrarian board of the various media boards. there is some level of hipster obscurantist posturing but books like moby dick and ulysses and whatever else gets brought up are widely celebrated and read works. it's nowhere close to mu or tv s obsession with finding the most obscure meme.books. McElroy and Gass are like.thr closest things and even they're not that obscure

It mostly sticks to Bloom and his type of Eurocentric worldview with a few persistent 'edgy' things that appeal to early 20s males: American Psycho, Confedaracy of Dunces, &tc

Wind Up Bird Chronicles was actually pretty good. Dreamy sequences flowed rather well and were pretty comfy.

>It mostly sticks to Bloom and his type of Eurocentric worldview
So the canon; way to prove him right you retard.

I thought it was shit compared to his other stuff.

I think he's a pretty good writer, though. I really enjoyed After Dark.

So far I've found Kafka on the Shore to be his best, all the rest I've read never quite approaching its quality. Colorless Tsukuru was a close second though, and 1q84 and Wind-up Bird worthwhile reads but lackluster in the end.

I read that lamb story, wasn't really good in my opinion
I liked the portion when he was isolated in the house though

Best book

Those are new posters.

I have collected about 20-30 goodreads users from the occasional thread and they are at least exploring some more obscure but notable works.

I've only read Norwegian Wood and Dance, Dance, Dance but I'm sure I won't read anything else by him, he is just hyped by plebs for the being slightly Kafkaesque and absurd with a hint of supernatural events.
Also his repeated motives in most if his books doesn't have any merit at all apart from muh obscure jazz pop references and sex.

Yeah, but they cut out the best part from the book in the English translation.
Can't have ameriplebs fantasy of Murakami be destroyed just because he goes full sonno joi at the end of the book.

Murakami has a talent for not making watching a 14 year old first-person narrator protagonist fucking his probably-mother quite as uncomfortable as it has the potential to be

I like him a lot
Fun to read, comfy, easy, and the stories move well for the most part.

Essentially what this guy said. Also, that feel when you can't bring yourself to browse Veeky Forums more often due to the amount of edgy teenage contrarians