No Pictures of Jupiter still

Seriously?

We are living in amazing time where we can document stuff and they never thought to attach some sort of camera to the fucking satellite?

This really irks me, what bothers me more is nobody cares.

This beautiful Giant in our solar system the biggest planet ever that we have the chance at looking at and seeing it in all it's majesty and nothing.

Doesnt anyone find it a tad bit questionable?

Surely others would like some fucking HD pictures of this motherfucker up close! This Marble!

lay off the crack

nah youre right tho. maybe they have it (the camera) there just in case but (space program) doesn't want to say that, and turns out there is life on Jupiter and everyone finds out maybe ?

building a camera that will survive extended journeys in space is quite difficult and will be heavier than you think. most of the satellites have better things they can use that mass for than a simple light camera

not to mention the amount of power it takes to send the data across such a huge amount of space on the very tight electrical budget of Juno

but this is a pic from Juno OP. They have a camera on board for better press in the media. Scientists dont really care about what it looks like when they could have other more important readings instead

THIS IS SO MUCH BULLSHIT

OYAGER CAN SEND A PHOTO BEACK FROM OUTSIDE THE SOLAR SYSTEM WE CANT GET ONE INSIDE?\

BULLSHIT

if i was jupiter id be shy about having my pictures taken too

>Scientists dont care what it looks like meme

Seriously?

People actually believe that meme?

Imagine it was a planet lush with trees and shit, you think science wouldnt want pictures of that?

Carl Sagan and Patrick Moore are going nuts in their graves.

Yes science is important but the validity and the beauty to see it up close would have been spectacular.

Observing something has always been a human trait in science, look at wildlife. Attenbourough is a biologist, all those documentaries he's done has been observing the beauty aswell as explaining the science behind it.

Whats the point of having all these instruments onboard if they are not going to observe it too. For the first time in history before the Red dot dissipates we are right next to it and chose not to document it? To see a giant fucking hurricane bigger than earth spinning would have been fucking insane.

Not to mention the amount of young people and the new generation of explorers and scientists it wouyld have encouraged for the future.

Whan I was a child I had huge constructions of the solar system, so to see it up close would have been quite magnificent to be honest.

What's the conspiracy theory, OP? I understand that you're at flat earther levels of retardation, but please humor me. What are the scientists trying to hide?

To deny flat earth though is just as bad as believing in God no?

The fact people are not even open to ideas anymore makes them no different in science as religious zealots.

Juno runs on solar power only, making it very difficult to collect energy so far away from the sun. (Solar energy falls off exponentially)

Other craft use RTG's for ample energy supply.

While we do have a few photos the real info comes from the dozens of other complex instruments on the craft.

Besides we have Hubble for nice pictures.

this thread is 80% bait posts

good job

Juno has a camera, it hasn't entered its first science orbit however. It will do so in a week at which point it will start taking data. I'm sure you could have looked this up if you weren't retarded.

>first time in history
No. This is not the first Jupiter mission.

And no it is not a meme that scientists don't care what it looks like, JunoCam isn't a science insument, it was added purely for outreach. If it's a choice between novel data and images much like Galileo the the choice is clear.

Why did they run it on solar power? To lower costs? A shortage of plutonium? Hippie infiltration?

Dont ask questions. The people here want to stay retarded and do science experiments. Oh but wait what exactly are they doing that they cant do from a distance?

Juno still hasn't completed its first orbit, give it a few more weeks.

Probably a bit of each. However most likely the shortage of radioactive elements in the possession of NASA.

Still 2.6 million miles out, when it does a pass expect sweet pics.

Juno is a "low" cost mission that will only last 20 months, no sense in wasting an RTG when solar panels will do.

Shortage of plutonium.

The isotope used, Plutonium-238, was a byproduct of nuclear weapon manufacturing; since we're not doing much of that anymore, the supply has cut off entirely and the stockpile is rapidly decaying. There are only a few kilograms left, and we're saving those for more important missions. We've just started spinning up a facility to make the stuff again.

>Solar energy falls off exponentially
Nope, quadratically.

oh wow, you're so excited about the 'outreach' portion of the mission.

>> they never thought to attach some sort of camera to the fucking satellite?
they did, just for idiots like you. The pictures have ZERO science value. As in none what so ever, it is solely there for public outreach. IE, keeping idiots like you happy with pretty pictures

>>Doesnt anyone find it a tad bit questionable?
fucking hell. I guess we really do gotta put a camera on every probe, else the normies are gonna think we're cooking up everything in microsoft excel

>> HD pictures
so here's the deal, Juno's gonna be diving through Jupiter's rad-belts, meaning it gets cooked. We are lucky to get as many rad-hardened pixels as we are getting for something like that.

Even so, the camera is only expected to last 8 orbits before failing. Those rad belts are fucking nasty.

it's hard to make electronics capable of surviving intense radiation. Even robots here on earth still have trouble getting into some parts of fukushima. Radiation fucks shit up

*indirect exponentially

voyager's cameras were basically garbage and little better than the cellphone cameras we had in the mid 2000s, and wasn't the primary focus of the mission. we have better cameras now, but we also have better everything else, and if it's a choice between shielding a highly sensitive modern camera or a highly sensitive spectrometer, i think we know where that mass budget is going

hell, they weren't even going to take the pale blue dot image until carl sagan convinced them to. it has basically zero scientific value

>radiation meme

you guys are so pathetic, you actually believe they cant build a radiation shield yet?

If it ensures popular support for continued funding and inspires a new generation of scientists and astronauts, it absolutely does have scientific value.

Trips of truth has spoken!

I also agree, imagery is a valuable asset in science. To observe is to see Science.

Science is great in numbers but if you can visually see effects it inspires so much more and encourages the younger generation too.

what?

You can send a nuclear engine with a smaller non returning camera the problem is I'm no rocket scientist and I can't be one anymore I'm 30. But I'm sure I would use jet fuel it melts steel beams

Quads of knowledge, please explain? You are 30 means you cant be a rocket science? Im sure there are many at nasa who are like 60+

I too would like a new space wallpaper for my work PC

We can build one, but one capable of stopping all the radiation would be too heavy. Even the electronics in the radiation are gonna get cooked eventually.

JunoCam is not located inside the radiation vault and isn't really shielded