What's keeping us from Mars?

What's keeping us from Mars?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_sentence
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the fact that its a pointless waste of money and resources sending living bags of flesh and bones to an old dead world where there is nothing to do

this.
When we develop a cheap way to send things to LEO, mining will happen on it's own.
Spending a buzzilion dollars to send a dude to mars isn't worth it.

What do we get out of going to Mars? Now what are all the cons next to an inter-plantery war because Martians go full retard?

I just want scientists and researchers to find a way to stop aging, slow it down, or reverse it.

Martians would be so dependent on Earth for essential supplies that the idea of them revolting against the mother planet is inconceivable.

>What do we get out of going to Mars?
we figure out if life started there or not.

we learn the effects of mars gravity I guess.

im sure theres other things.

Sending stuff into space is really hard because humans still havent figured out to get past atmospheric friction that usually causes rockets to explode mid flight. It would be easier to just a machine artificially build probes on the moon then lauch them at Mars instead.

Mars being an alien planet has alot of geological discoveries waiting, minerals that dont exist on our planet will be on it and who knows what ores are underneath the surface.

All it takes is literally one person to fuck it up for everybody user.

We must remember this.

>minerals that dont exist on our planet will be on it

Astronomers have no place in the Chemistry lab

Whats wrong with what I said?

The cost, for starters. Getting things there costs at least a few hundred million dollars. And given that there will be absolutely no return, the only people willing to spend that money are government-sponsored space agencies only a handful of which (NASA, JAXA) has the money and competence to pull it off.

Secondly, we don't have much information on Mars itself. NASA theorizes (and strongly assumes) that there is ice water on Mars but they don't have a detailed study of it's hydrology. This in it of itself will prevent and and all human activity until it's done. Same for a detailed study of it's soil and subsurface soil (more than just a rover scoop).

>Martians
>people born on Mars

You mean Jello babies, right?

maybe because you are a fucking retard

the shit that makes up earth makes up the rest of the universe

>inconceivable.
thatword.jpg

>im sure theres other things.
low-g beer pong

Well yes like duh bro but Mars would still have different minerals from earth.

Jews

Like what?

It's cold as fucking hell because of how far from the sun it is :D

>Hydrogen Helium Oxygen Neon Nitrogen Carbon Silicon Magnesium Iron Sulfur

The 10 most common elements in the universe are all found on Earth...hmm... really makes you wonder huh

Everything in the solar system formed from the same swirling cloud of gas and debris. You aren't going to rewrite the periodic table of elements digging on mars. If anything mars is actually missing a lot of the stuff we find on earth, granite for example.

Are you fucking stupid? I said minerals not elements.

Not him, but if travel to Mars were magically cheap it might hurt China's near-monopoly on rare earth elements.
...and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

>minerals aren't made of elements

There are minerals in asteroids that cant be found on earth so Mars would have minerals that also cant be found on earth.

If you don't think interplanetary war isn't the coolest shit ever, you can fuck off the edge of my dick

Are you retarded?
Just because Mars has the same elements as Earth doesn't mean we should expect them to be arranged in exactly the same ways. It's not unreasonable to think that the different conditions on Mars would promote the formation of different materials and structures.

Most of the terrestrial worlds had similar conditions to start with you fucking idiot

Everything wrong with Mars and Venus has been a gradual change over millions of years

And who knows what other planets were flung out of the system, collided with gas giants, or were subject to collision with other terrestrial worlds

It would be cheaper and easier to mine the asteroid belt than Mars

>Most of the terrestrial worlds had similar conditions to start with you fucking idiot
Similar, but not the same.

>Everything wrong with Mars and Venus has been a gradual change over millions of years
Earth has also long deviated from what it looked like near the time it formed. Why wouldn't you expect those changes with time to have an impact as well?

Venus and Mars were probably once like Earth, but because of no decent magnetic fields and no large moons to stabilize their orbits they went to shit

next time think before you post so I dont have to waste my time correcting your bullshit

>next time think before you post so I dont have to waste my time correcting your bullshit
You aren't even contradicting what I wrote, though?

You are being obtuse on purpose, right?

Unexploited mineral resources.

Alright, let's try this again.

Yes, Mars doesn't contain any new, magical elements. However, conditions on Mars are quite different to those on Earth. There's no tectonics, the hydrology is very different, the atmosphere is different, there's less gravity, etc. This implies that, starting with the same elements, the process of mineral formation and distribution are going to behave differently. Which in turns suggests that there may be things on Mars that can't be found on Earth.

I'm afraid he is right sir. I'm not saying there aren't unique minerals out there in the universe, but all of the inner planets likely have the same shit based solely on the formation of our solar system and basic chem.

Its pretty much the same shit

Mars and Venus had a Mars sized object crash into them at the very early stages of their existence forming a large moon for each and inducing geological processes that are still active today, just like Earth?
No they hadn't, you fucking idiot!

If you just look at the elements amino acids and nitric acid are also pretty much the same shit, douchebag.

is this because of escape velocity?

this
I support Mars colonization because it means we'll get to fuck up the Martian colonies when they declare independence
with lasers

>Year 2040
>Half my life is up. At least 20-45 more years before I die.
>Got a job in the armed forces doing logistics.
>Mars colonies is mining shit and exporting back to Earth to their respective parent country.
>Mars colonies have had a single representative council government from each colony up there so they don't kill each other.
>Said council decides to unite the Martians and declare independence from Earth
>Also they jack all Earth.
>Earth governments get super pissed and declare war on the colonies.
>My ass gets shifted into the Space Division of my country's armed services, and I'll be sent into space.
Fuck.

Sanity or lack of atmosphere retention or lack of fallback in case we try to ram the moon or maybe lack of an evil regime or maybe lack of a way because the universe is shit. People only got to North America because there were legends of people arriving from the other side. I guess that would be aliens. Then we just have to figure out how they did it.

>amino acids and nitric acid are also pretty much the same shit
no they arent, brainlet

Beware, there's somebody else on Mars.

we get a planet, a virtually infinite space for the growth and expansion of human civilisation.

And what essential supplies would be required to be transported from Earth that couldn't be extracted from ISRU on Mars?

Jesus, what's the point of going to Mars if it's that fucking small?

Its surface area is still as big as all the surface above water on earth. There is a lot to explore

>we get a planet
>an old dead useless planet that can't support our kind of life

mars is a meme planet, i hope the chinks reach it first before whatever diversity squad nasa is forced to send to their death by emperor obongo do

Geologist here, FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

You have no idea how hard it is ON OUR OWN PLANET to identify all types of minerals. Just wait till we have to get out and do so on other planets.

Please tell me about the alternative planets that are better at supporting life

>Waste of money
>Even though the soil has Calcium Perchlorate, large amounts of usable Zinc, Nickel, Magnesium, Calcium, and Iron which can be refined
>Waste of money
Pic related.

You do realize that there are tons of chemists working for space industries?

Nigger, if we found Armalcolite (a completely new mineral that cannot be found on earth) on the moon, than i'm sure there are materials completely foreign to us on mars.

hauling millions of tons of material from mars to earth negates any commercial viability the stuff would have in the first place

get real

Even though.... Calcium perchlorate...

Calcium perchlorate is classified as a metal perchlorate salt with the molecular formula Ca(ClO4)2. It is an inorganic compound that is a yellow-white crystalline solid in appearance. As a strong oxidizing agent, it reacts with reducing agents when heated to generate heat and products that may be gaseous (which will cause pressurization in closed containers). Calcium perchlorate has been categorized as having explosive reactivity.

Perclorate-chlorine. Thats OK then :)

Fuck Mars. Asteroid mining is actually feasible and will yield ungodly profit if done.

yeah, try redirecting a large several hundred ton rock back to earth without anything going wrong. it's possible, but extremely difficult in comparison to mining out mars.

If we can already commercially mine on mars, than i can assume that there would already be a way to refine them on mars.

What? Redirecting an NEO to an orbit around the Earth and then mining from there, is easier than firing a huge rocket all the way to mars, land, mine, escape gravity well, and fly all the way back. You're retarded if you actually think mars mining is easier.

>fuck progress, acquiring monetary wealth is all that every matters

People like you are the reason we've been stuck in LEO since 1972.

kek

It's a rocky planet.humans live on rocky planets.

>fucking small
Mars is 55.91 million mi2 in area, 1/4 of that of earth's area. That's far from small you dimwit.

It's a very powerful oxidiser. It can be used as a solid based fuel.

people like
just to name a few.

This is interesting

Quite.

So much this

There were three minerals discovered on the moon, but all three have since been found on Earth. One wasn't found until 2011.

mfw this happens

>misquoting
poor attempt at trolling

what? it is exactly what you said

>exactly
even poorer attempt

I literally just copied it

poor troll is poor

All of them except maybe water. You 3D printing enthusiasts are really fucking stupid.

(You)

checked and kek'd.

>removing the condition from a conditional sentence doesn't change the meaning. It's exactly the same, like a copy
(You)

>misquoting
Really? You said, and I quote, " amino acids and nitric acid are also pretty much the same shit, douchebag." If you don't believe me,
read your own post.

Gosh, you're a stupid troll. Amazing. Good form. Good form, indeed!

What the fuck do you want you? Make a point

oops, a you too much. But I guess you like getting (You)s

>le ebin trolling
go back to with your substanceless shitpost

Yup. No surprise your command of the English language is lacking.

>it's a troll calling others troll episode

(You)

Even /b/ has substance.

oh the irony

(You)

(You)

So you really have no point to make at all?

already made it. here's for further reading, if you're really THAT stupid:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_sentence

Where did you make a point?

Too stupid to follow the backlinks, too?

No I am not. I can only assume you are triggered, because I didnt quote your whole post. Why are you so difficult and didnt just say in your first post what bothers you.

>If you just look at the elements amino acids and nitric acid are also pretty much the same shit, douchebag.

Thats still wrong.
Unless you are really generous with the "pretty much". In which case it is just a meaningless statement, since everything is the same shit if "you look at the elements"

>JAXA has the money and competence
>2bn annual budget
>every of their missions fails