Lunar observatories

Is worthy?
What are the problems to do something like this?

The cost of getting the materials there
The cost of keeping it supplied
Radiation

Not enough funding and waste of money.

Think of it this way:

Imagine you are king in ancient Rome. Lets say your kingdom is in the brink of war and all you technology is powered by water wheels.

As king, you can funnel you tax payers money to build a jet that will fly to the stars but the jet will be powered by a water wheel. You call your best engineers and they say it can be done but will cost 10^100 dollars.

On the other hand you can channel those resources into building an army and conquering more land and creating more jobs for a mere $2 trillion dollars.

Although humanity wont advance,Taxpayers will be happy since they will see results faster.

Shit, this story is too long and I have too much to say about this about game theory, psychology, and the trade-off in waiting for technology to improve but it 9:23 A.M so I don't feel like typing an essay soooo...which sounds like the better idea so far?

Why to build all that stuff over there if we can have the same here on earth?
>but the atmosphere
Put it in orbit like Hubble telescope
And i want nasa going back to the moon but perhaps we should find another excuse.

having a moonbase

FEEL SO MOON!

It'd be better to have a massive array in orbit around the sun.

sounds like a maintenance nightmare to me

Like the hubble, amitrite?

Most people on Veeky Forums are retards who think that we'll be mining helium on the moon. The solar panels on the moon itself would just be to power the colony.

Staffing.

>Put it in orbit like Hubble
>fifteen revolutions per day
Faint objects (like asteroids) need longer than a 47-minute observation time, Billy.

>solar panels on the moon
>not a nuclear reactor
bcoz muh envar'nment

>colony
>on the moon

Colony implies having children. If it isn't generation, it is just a manned base. You'd only be having Jello babies on the moon. That won't turn out so well.

>Radiation
>omg le radiation!

use sandbags. fixed.

I was a Jello shots baby, and I turned out all right.

Are you really that retarded? Use a couple of them orbiting in different sides of earth and combing their data. There will be no blind spots during 47 min. Doing this.

I guess we all agree that it would be interesting to settle that base in the dark side of the moon, all the asteroids hiting that place would be a mayor problem.

Or higher orbit
Or lagrange point

As much as I want a moon base, space stations seem like a much better choice

>Is worthy?
Nope, not if there isn't enough infrastructure on the Moon already to build and support it.
If you have to bring the material from Earth, it's just a waste of energy, because you could just put the same shit at the Lagrange points of the Earth-Moon system for less delta-v. So you can bring more mass for the same energy. Plus you don't have to worry about that mass bending under its own weight.