Weather, Climate, and Meteorology General

Ok, with hurricane season underway, and Louisiana still up a creek sans paddle, I thought it'd be nice to start some serious discussion about that universal idle topic of conversation.

Pretty much anything that's going on involving air and water on our little blue marble should be relevant, but PLEASE for the love of $DEITY avoid arguments about global warming/climate change, or /x/-tier tinfoil like HAARP and "chemtrails". Let's try to keep it concrete, practical, and empirical.

[math]\textbf{Bookmarks}[/math]
Most of these are US-centric, but some are more generally applicable. Feel free to share your favorite weather sites.

World Meteorological Organization: wmo.int
US National Weather Service: weather.gov/
US Joint Typhoon Warning Center: metoc.ndbc.noaa.gov/JTWC/
US Navy Tropical Cyclone Page: nrlmry.navy.mil/TC.html
ECMWF (Europe) Charts & Forecasts: ecmwf.int/en/forecasts
JMA (Japan) Typhoon Center: jma.go.jp/en/typh/
Weather prediction education: theweatherprediction.com/
Unisys Weather: weather.unisys.com/index.php
UCAR Weather Data: weather.rap.ucar.edu/
AWM Model Viewer: aweathermoment.com/model-viewer/
AWIPS II (software used by the NWS, free): unidata.ucar.edu/software/awips2/
NOAA Weather and Climate Toolkit: ncdc.noaa.gov/wct/

Other urls found in this thread:

emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gc_wmb/vxt/HWRF/tcall.php?selectYear=2016&selectBasin=North Atlantic&selectStorm=INVEST99L
catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/geosciences/atmospheric-sciences/meteorology-bs/#programrequirementstext
nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIATWDAT.shtml
earth.nullschool.net/#current/particulates/surface/level/overlay=suexttau/orthographic=-10.25,44.52,1418
nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT2 shtml/271440.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'll give it a bump from /news/.

Ok.

I'm actually preparing a forecast right now for hikers on the AT. I'll leave it with the bottles of water I usually deliver.

Bumping with love from El Paso, TX. Its raining with a flash flood warning.

this isnt science gtfo

Since when is meteorology not a science?

What is chaos?

Meteorology is science.

Florida is very overdue for a hurricane. Our last one took my roof clean off. Since then I've been very interested in studying hurricanes. Glad to see this thread.

>Florida is very overdue for a hurricane
Weather doesn't normally work that way, but you might be right in this case:
emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gc_wmb/vxt/HWRF/tcall.php?selectYear=2016&selectBasin=North Atlantic&selectStorm=INVEST99L

Now let's just hope that poltards don't come in and spazz out by seeing the words "climate change".

It's the anniversary of Hurricane Andrew today. What a storm that was.

What do meteorology students study? What do they do research on?

Are courses on chaos theory required? Is meteorology very math intensive?

Meteorology is extremely math intensive. Even though you're not physically creating or designing anything, it's basically an engineering field. Wherever you go, you will certainly be required to take calc I,II,and III, diff eqs, stats, phys, chem, plus the classes particular to the major. Most of meteorology is the combination of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics, which are perhaps the two most complicated subjects in classical physics.

So if you don't like math and physics, I strongly suggest you run in the other direction.

A sample course listing is available at catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/geosciences/atmospheric-sciences/meteorology-bs/#programrequirementstext for you to study.

If they do, then report their asses. They're not going to take over yet another board.

The chances for TS formation for the 99L invest have been reduced:
nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIATWDAT.shtml

OP: Surprised you havent got this one (not meteorology tho) Air-Ocean-Chem-Particulates.

earth.nullschool.net/#current/particulates/surface/level/overlay=suexttau/orthographic=-10.25,44.52,1418

That is interesting, and very relevant.Thank you.

It would still be better to avoid a conflict if we can. We have nothing to gain or prove.

Gaston is expected to reach hurricane strength today:
nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT2 shtml/271440.shtml

CONUS map for this evening.

We do have something to lose though. We can't just let them walk all over us.