Starting my first day of college in a couple days

Starting my first day of college in a couple days.
At first I was quite confident in my ability, but people have been really pushing my motivation into the ground. Can you guys accurately tell me on a scale of 1-10 how difficult it is to get a B or higher in all of these courses? (I need a B minimum to continue my Computer Engineering Major plan).
These are all this semester.
Calculus 1 with analytic Geometry.
Physics 1
Computer Science 20(something, cannot remember. The computer science for those with programming experience)
Intro to ENGR (Seems like a bullshit class but the advisor stated otherwise).
I already have some programming experience, so that doesn't seem too bad. Neither does calc 1 either, to be quite honest. I can't tell if I'm overconfident or delusional. I've always been above average at math, so I can't see the big deal. Will I need to study more than a few hours a day? I honestly cannot imagine so. My next semester is just the same thing but Calc 2, Physics 2, The next CS class and english 101.

Other urls found in this thread:

calnewport.com/books/how-to-win-at-college/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're fine, so long as you aren't retarded.

Pretty sure those classes filter out people who cannot handle the actual Computer Engineering classes.

I wouldn't say I'm retarded, but I'm also not some fucking prodigy like some of my asian and indian classmates, whos parents forced them to do math at home for 5 hours before they could eat. (True story)
Sure seems that way.

>Calculus 1 with analytic Geometry.

Piss easy

>Physics 1

Piss easy

>Computer Science 20

Why the fuck are you NOT doing the computer engineering version? Do not substitute CS classes for CE ones. You're only cheating yourself out of an education by doing so.

>Intro to ENGR

Intro to Matlab or some small scale team project thing? Matlab will be easy if you know programming but resist the urge to use for/while loops.

Matlab is a really easy programming language.

He shouldnt have problems learning it even without prior programming knowledge.

Kek at resist use of loops or for/while statements.

>Why the fuck are you NOT doing the computer engineering version?
It's two hundred something. I don't know the exact number from today.
It's the computer science course for those who know how to program. This course is required for computer engineering majors. I didn't pick it, it was given to me, mandatory, with the major I picked.

>resist the urge to use for/while loops.
Why?

Is there a language it's similar to? I have experience with Java, C++, some Python and Html/Javascript. And some basic, but my teacher was absolute cancer.

>Why?

Vectorized instructions are far faster.

Instead of writing

function Z = clip(A, bound)
Z=A;
for i=1:numel(A)
if A(i)

Yeah that looks a wee bit more elegant, comprehensible and way less shit.

If you cant get an A in calculus, you're stupid or not paying attention

Physics 1 will be challenging, but a B is not out of reach at all.

I never took comp sci, gotta wait til spring

Intro to engineering is basically clarifying the fields of engineering, the goals of engineering and Rube Goldberg machines

>Physics 1 will be challenging, but a B is not out of reach at all.
How about Physics 2? Taking that next semester.
Thanks for the info, by the way.

Physics 2 is more challenging, but a B is still well within reach.

The class is basically a slow and methodical approach to verifying and learning the applications surrounding maxwell's equations. Plus they throw in circuits and ray diagrams

>Taking PHY1 at the same time as CALC1
Bad idea. The Physics textbook will probably assume you already understand integrals and derivatives. When I tried to take Calc 1 and Phy 1 at the same time, I ended up dropping both. Then I took them in sequence and aced them. Looking at my local uni's course plan for a Compsci Major, they seem to agree: their suggested plan is to take Chem 1 and Calc 1 in the same semester.

Really though, taking ANY course that has a lab component is a major pain in the ass. If I were you, I'd get a refund on the Physics course and save it for the summer. That way you can devote yourself fully to the course and the lab, and you'll understand everything.

this.

TL;DR
Gz on going to Uni, gg to ur future student debt
Physics 1 - kinematics
Physics 2 - electromagnetism

circuits will dominate most of ur curriculum though and the ray diagrams/optics will only be touched on toward the last 1/4th of the semester, most likely.

Once you complete Physics 2, your knowledge of physics will still only be up to around the mid 1800s lmao.

Delaying physics 1 will delay physics 2 which will delay circuit analysis that in turn will delay electronics therefore causing you not to be able to take electives and doom you to take 5 years to get your degree.

CE isn't as pathetic as CS.

>doom you to take 5 years to get your degree
1. Who cares? I like to take things at my own pace, and I encourage OP to relax and slow down too. He'll get better grades and absorb more info if he's more realistic about his course load. I see too many people just piling the courses on and then falling apart because they can only sleep for four hours. It's not worth it.

2. I already mentioned he can take a Summer course to catch up on Physics. If you're not taking Summer courses, you're probably just wasting your time and not even having much fun anyway. Also, you still get a month off. Taking one or two courses each Summer is a great way to stay sharp year-round while lightening the load in the main semesters.

That knowledge is greater than almost every low voltage technician. I worked with a guy that was 60, 35 years in the field. I got 2 pairs of wire in a junctionbox. One reads about 20v, the other reads about 20v + a ground. I had to take 20min out of my day to explain how the circuit was T tapped somewhere and its why the series circuit is acting like its in parallel. Motherfucker ran 800ft of wire to try and prove me wrong and I had him appologizing.

tl;dr 80%+ of the world is pretending to know more than what we knew 150 years ago.

Im 26. I started Uni at 19. By 20, my GPA was 2.3 and all my withdraws were used. I went to CC for 3 years, 2 or 3 classes at a time and got my GPA up to 3.5. Now Im a MechE student in a nice Uni.

I agree. If you have the luxury of taking your time, do it.

>Will I need to study more than a few hours a day?

kek, yes. It's university they will dump so many credits on you in a typical day you will have to finish an essay on propositional logic, be assigned to read about 2 chapters per class every night (and do all the exercises), plus be handed a long term project to work on in a lab.

At least that was my university.
You should probably read this: calnewport.com/books/how-to-win-at-college/ this guy is now a compsci professor

you should have already finished all of those classes in high school, if you didn't, then you are definitely retarded

you should have finished calc 1, 2, and 3 maybe differential equations before college. same for physics mechanics, and electricity and magnetism and perhaps intro to quantum physics.

you are severely behind and really makes your education pointless since it is obvious you are not intellectually advanced as others who are already ahead of the curriculum

I seriously can't tell if this is a troll or just someone who lacks that much self-awareness.

how is it a troll?

college isnt for everybody. It is a waste of money if you are stupid like OP. Clearly if you think getting B's in these basic courses is hard then you are retarded no doubt

it's an obvious troll.

Getting an A in any class in college is pretty fucking easy in my experience. But what high schools even offer calc 3, differential equations, electricity and magnetism, or quantum physics?

K good just me being borderline autistic I feel better now

He's a Brit who doesn't realize that last year high school is first year American uni.

my high school did

im from usa bitch

Well whatever. Even if it's not a troll, calling other people "retarded" because they haven't completed the entire math requirement for a physics degree before entering college is its own special kind of stupid. I bet you're really fun at parties.

how much time do you have on your mech eng degree left?

Not hard at all if you put in the effort to study diligently.

What? Physics 1 is piss easy. Physics 2 is definitely more of a challenge.

People underestimate the value of CC, especially to get classes you don't need out of the way for classes in your major.

You should of finished your thesis by Senior year of highschool, idiot. Stop giving them false hope.

That's good to hear.

I've heard there is a non-calc based physics. Is this that one, perhaps? Physics 1 non calc based and physics 2 calc based?

Thanks. Quite crazy to think about, that my year of learning will only catch me up to the 1800s.

Getting an A in calc 1 is piss easy. Physics should be very easy as well

my highschool didn't even offer any calculus past calc 1

>I've heard there is a non-calc based physics. Is this that one, perhaps? Physics 1 non calc based and physics 2 calc based?
Nope. Just opened my Physics text up to the 2nd chapter and there's Calculus right off the bat. Acceleration, Velocity, and Position. Yes, you can scrape by even if your Calc course hasn't covered the topic yet (it won't get there in time), but no, I don't recommend it. Your understanding of the physics will suffer. The only way you can make it work, I think, is by going into office hours to see both your Phy and Calc professors, and ask them to explain the Calc concepts in your Physics notes.