What does Veeky Forums think of NEUROMANCER

Fun read, every other cyberpunk story is just a ripoff

Seminal and pretty bad

Hasn't aged well I think

Good read. he came to my local bookstore last year and i got him to autograph my copy. he looked frail, almost sickly. i hope he's ok. theres people who say Neuromancer didnt age well, which is kinda true, but in the 80's it was so cutting edge and irrefutable that it couldnt help but be a staple of scifi. its kind of like the movie "hackers" starring johnny lee miller and angelina jolie. In the 90's the stuff n that movie might have been considered underground or speculative. today? yeesh its bad. read the rest in the Sprawl series: Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive

>The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

best opening ever?

Yes. Do u think radiohead referenced it in karma police?

How would I know what he thinks?

Who?

I don't know what Veeky Forums thinks. Never met this guy.

I like Neuromancer and Snow Crash a lot. Neuromancer was written in the punk era as a serious piece of punk literature while Snow Crash was a bit silly compared to it's period.
Today they are both silly but their plot based around the cyberspace is still relevant today.
So I would call both of them classics.

The first read-through was kind of disappointing.
During the second run it clicked.
Third one was the best.

(Now, I'm seriously considering buying another book...)

let's see you write a novel set twenty years from now, and if you're still alive then we can all laugh at the things you got wrong.

Molly's dialog in the restaurant when Case is being a faggot and doesn't want to eat his goddamn meat is a fantastic copypasta for the faggots shilling soylent in /g/ cyberpunk threads.

If only for that reason, Neuromancer is a masterpiece.

Gibson's best is still Disneyland with the Death Penalty though.

Just a shitty genre fiction. The setting is too cheesy for me to take it seriously.

Seminal, and quite good. Good imagery for genre fiction like this. Great read if you're into SF. One of those books that works better every time you reread it.

Cyberpunk is pretty cool. The aesthetic is really cool because it has unintentionally developed this sort of in between history atmosphere. It's like seeing a pay phone style phone in a truck: A kind of vintage future.

I read it when I was a kid and enjoyed it. It's about as good as genre fiction gets.

>Horror. The spiral birth factory, stepped terraces of the hatching cells, blind jaws of the unborn moving ceaselessly. In his mind's eye, a kind of time-lapse photography took place, revealing the thing as the biological equivalent of a machine gun, hideous in its perfection. Alien.

I like Neuromancer.

Really good articulation of the style of the genre user. I'm gonna use that description in future.

Pretty much. There's kind of a ceiling between when genre fiction is great, and when it's great to the point of breaking into being literary (I'm thinking of McCarthy's "westerns" here). Neuromancer doesn't hit that, but it certainly hits the "great genre novel" height.

never read it. i think i like the cyberpunk aesthetic but then i went through what ive sampled of it and only came up with a dolph lundgren movie, an abel ferrara movie, and the harrison ford one. also tried some 'seminal' collection of cyberpunk stories and did not like it or finish it - it didn't read like i expected cyberpunk to feel. also played an hour each of deus ex and shadowrun supernes.

should i read neuromancer, i dont read scifi books, would never pick it up on my own.

>her dur you can't criticize anything unless you can do it better
Jesus Christ it must be insufferable to around you in real life.

I will never understand this boards approval of this novel. It was the single worst book out of 60 or so I read in 2014. It was awful. It disliked it so much I stopped reading five pages from the end.