Yellowstone Volcano

Is it possible to depressurise yellowstone before it erupts violently?

Is it possible for a dormant volcano to be depressurised?

Other urls found in this thread:

theconversation.com/drilling-surprise-opens-door-to-volcano-powered-electricity-22515
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>depressurizing a volcano safely
I doubt it can be done. It would be like trying to slowly burn a stick of dynamite. But even if you could do it, there are still problems.

Let's say that a normal eruption would release a gorilla-joule of energy over the course of a second. Perhaps you can slow the energy release so it happens over the course of a decade instead. However, you still have a gorilla-joule of energy released into the atmosphere, just much slower.

>volcano asplodes and causes a nuclear winter that lasts for an indeterminate amount of time
>volcano slow-burns and causes planet-wide warming over the course of a century
pick one

plus, drilling your heatsink apparatus might just cause the volcano to erupt prematurely

all you can do is drain the lakes

Why not harness this gorilla-joule of volcanic pressure as a green energy a-la hydro power? We can use the magma/lava as heat and invent some kind of machine to harvest the immense pressure. We don't even need batteries to store the excess, just have like a spigot or something to allow more or less pressure and heat into the generator depending on our need.

looks like a huge pimple.

Remember kids, eat your veggies and/or go to the dermatologist

if you think it can be done, invent that shit and collect your nobel prize

but I think it's likely you'll just spend 400 billion dollars installing your volcano engine and wind up cooking all your engineers to death, burning up your equipment, triggering a super-eruption and ending life on earth as we know it

>it's likely you'll just spend 400 billion dollars installing your volcano engine and wind up cooking all your engineers to death, burning up your equipment, triggering a super-eruption and ending life on earth as we know it
Sounds metal as fuck, you should do it OP

The trick is to transfer energy without direct contact with the magma. With such abundant energy you don't need to care about efficiency, especially if you are primarily concerned with mitigating a massive eruption.

To harness the massive amount of pressure, create like a super long magma jet that passes through some kind of cooling system that cools it down enough to contact a spinning thing.

>ending life on earth
Unlikely. Maybe in America, but who cares about that?

Not me, americans have sharted for the last time

This is probably 100% doable, but the gubment wouldn't like the idea. They'll doom and gloom it into the shitter.

The libtards will go on about the 300x300 mile retarded solar panel idea and the conservafags will go on about how we should just focus on natural gas (it has natural in it's name, that means it's good!).

fucking gubment

Trump would build it and get the volcano to pay for it

my flanks

Slow is good.
Life can adapt.
But one slap of megavolcano is like ripping off a bandaid...
never good

I personally like the heat sink idea...
Lets roll along that line.

I have a retarded idea.
What happens if we nuke it when it erupts?

I live approximately 10 km away from this behemoth...is it really that big?
How f***ed am I?

You're one of the least fucked ones. You'll die immediately.

Nothing because the force of that eruption is higher than every nuke combined.

Wait...
Hang on a tic...
Those hydrothermal vents are connected to the magma right?
What if we...what if we made the water more conductive? Could we alter the molecules to conduct more heat and generate electricity at the same time?
What if we used the same energy to refrigerate and used the excess heat to refine material in a factory?

Okay, here goes: we start a horizontal shaft right in the side of the pacific continental shelf drop off. We DigDoug all the way across the fucking continent, just like we're building a new subway tunnel. When we make it to Yellowstone, what we've got is a giant underwater gun barrel pointed right at Japan. We pop the lava-pimple, it explodes sideways, crosses the ocean as a six mile high tidal wave with a magma chaser, finishes what Hiroshima started and wipes the pedophile cartoons out of existence forever.

Use the same energy generated to refrigerate....beam the energy to the moon.
Use it to make hydrogen...
Shit OP this catastrophy could be greatest ally!

MY SIDES
HOLY SHIT

AHAHHAHA

ABSOLUTELY
FUCKING
SAVAGE

/thread/

Today.../sci scarred me the most.
I laughed like I have never lived.
And now I am a ghost.

21st pbp

Japan Status:

TYRANNASAURUS RECKT x

>mfw spend millions of tax dollars to fund mega gun.

>Tfw we were a gundam disguised as a country all along.

>get reckt weaboos

theconversation.com/drilling-surprise-opens-door-to-volcano-powered-electricity-22515

nice

MAXIMUM OV3RKEK

We need to fund this...now.

Have you considered a carreer in super villainy?

/thread

I'm an engineering student, so... I'd say that's within my reach.

Veeky Forumsentist stands before the UN.
Yells out: "Conserve this energy assholes"
Fires Volcano Gun
WW3 breaks out
>Veeky Forums does it again-

There is no need to worry about the yellowstone volcano. The erruptions are related to large amounts of volcanic activity in the entire area, like the lava outflows that formed the Columbia river basalt.

Maybe if we started seeing some more basalt coming up and we see a lot more activity along the basin and range area, then in a few tens or hundreds of thousands of years it might erupt. There is literally no danger of it erupting any time soon.

Two birds with one stone.

Just to be safe, though, we'd probably better shoot Japan.

>Implying a volcano at a 15% to 2% melt is a serious threat and even has a chance of erupting.

To add onto this, find a way to also capture some energy for our next attack on Madagascar. Fuckers have eluded my Plague Inc. for too long...

Yeah guys let's put a massive geothermal energy plant over the most beautiful landscape in America on the premise that some old ass mantle plume that is at a 2% melt at places is going to erupt within the next 500 years. Even if Yellowstone did have a snowballs chance In hell (which is more likely) of erupting In the 21st century. There's nothing man could do to release that kind of pressure.

blow off a small piece of the moon and crash it into yellowstone

>no need to worry
>There is literally no danger
Whatever you say, Nostradamus.

That is exactly what it is doing all this time with the geysers.

Ground water is constantly reaching it and carrying the heat away.

>samefag post times

A century is pretty much an instant from an evolutionary perspective

Yellowstone is a pretty large area. There's probably some place you could put a plant that wouldn't significantly disturb the natural landscape.

yellowstone size volcanic eruptions are mass extinction events.

You misread, he said a career as a super villain, not a gay stripper.

is Yellowstone the only megavolcannon?

no, there's more

Something seems off....

What if we throw a giant piece of ice into the giant piece of lava? Which pokemon will win?

It causes warming in the area it is directly effecting but everywhere else becomes cold. Since Yellowstone is so big it would warm a larger area over a longer period of time but everywhere else and eventually the area directly affected will become cold and most likely an ice age will ensue as the ash and gasses block alot of the sun's heat. I don't know how long each of these stages will last for Yellowstone but that's just how volcanoes work. If anyone was interested.

MORE

NOSTRA

DUMBASS

>mass extinction events
normal people aren't as massive as americans