Does Reading Get Easier?

I can currently not read more than fifteen pages in one go. Is this normal? Will my ability to focus become better as I make reading a habit?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/interactive/2010/06/07/technology/20100607-distraction-filtering-demo.html?_r=0,
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are you reading in a nice quiet place away from the computer?

I turn my computer off every time I read, but my phone is always there. So yeah ...

No, you're a retard.

What are you even reading? If you're not reading something that engrosses you then you're missing the point. You should WANT to read chapter after chapter because you find the content interesting.

Please tell me you didn't fall for the philosophy meme.

I'm reading Plato's Republic currently. It actually interests me, and I started reading it before I knew about >The Greeks meme.

So why is it you get bored every 15 minutes. That book sounds boring as fuck, read genre-fiction or something actually entertaining, then fall for the greek meme.

I had focus problems with every book I ever read. The subject here doesn't seem to be the issue

You may have ADD. Drink a cup of coffee or somethin

Put away your phone. And actually physically go somewhere peaceful like a park or a library.

>Stavi sliku ustaše
>Ne može čitati više od 15 strana u komadu
Ništa novo.

Aj cigane, zacepi.

Barem mogu procitati vise od 15 strana u komadu.

Fuck off shit skins

Barem nisam ja cigan ;)

This is a Christian English only website.

>want to read fantasy and sci-fi
>oh look but Veeky Forums told me to read other stuff because thoses genres are shit
>buy the fucking walden
>starts reading
>drops reading for 3 months

Fuck you

So now go out and buy a book that you think will be interesting, may I recommend /sffg/

>Barem nisam ja cigan ;)
you're right, you're worst than a gypsy
Now go back to monitoring one of the ten gay prides they hold annually in Cuckratia Hrvoje, reading isnt meant for subhumans such as yourself

Yeah that's what I did, my point to OP is to read whatever he feels like and take his own conclusions instead of listening to some Veeky Forums elitists

So just don't challenge yourself to read books beyond your comprehension? I think that there is literature that is objectively enriching, while others that are not. Just because OP may not enjoy the enriching literature doesn't mean he shouldn't read it. OP should force himself to read it, as if it is a textbook.

I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on Veeky Forums anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

This. I've never been much of a reader but I started browsing the Veeky Forums wiki and seeing the recommendations. I like sci-fi stuff so I picked up the Foundation series by Asamov. I can't put the book down. The last two nights in a row I've stayed up till 4 am reading! It's all about finding the right book.

XDXD upvoted
Oh boy, I wish I had the wit to combine the word cuck with Croatia :)

Yes it gets easier. Turn your phone off. Set an alarm for 20 minutes and don't do anything except focus on what you're reading. Don't worry about how slow you are digesting the information. Eventually you will get faster and be able to focus for longer periods. Drinking coffee helps.

>Drinking coffee helps.
I feel like speedracer whenever i drink a cupojoe

Try meditating to work on controlling your focus. Your attention span has probably just been fried by the 21st century; practice slowing down and THEN try reading.

it probably has to do with your attention span, not the material ur reading...

go to a park to read or figure out some sort of regime that allows you to focus

kek

This. If you have inability of attention, drinking large quantities of coffee will help, along with starting a meditation practise (of a type that helps you improve concentration and limit internal chatter, like vipassana)

lol, no

Anyone with any reading experience with literature of value appreciates the work the author put into creating the work by putting in the work to thoroughly enjoy and get the most out of a novel.

The desire for more immediate gratification is novice. The true patrician strives for even greater challenges, for how else does one continue to flex the muscle that is their mind?

I've developed a similar problem, except that it's related to people.

Whenever I'm around people (especially family or people I'm comfortable with), I can't concentrate. I think it's related to how isolated I am. It's sort of like trying to read next to a meal when you're malnourished.

So yeah, my problem is social. Yours is attention.

Focusing used to be a problem for me too. The solution to the problem was easier than I thought; the reason I had trouble focusing wasn't because I had ADD (which really means they don't know why you can't focus, shut up and take these drugs), but because none of my reading was ever goal-oriented.

All of my reading now is goal-oriented, and I can read for pretty much as long as I want now. I'm never distracted, except if violently/physically interrupted by something shocking.

Again, this is coming from the kid who "couldn't pay attention in class", was "bored all the time", classic "ADD" stuff. Drugs only work if you don't know what it is you want to do, i.e. you don't have a goal. Once you have a goal, something that interests and excites you, you can focus for as long as you want.

I'm completely off Ritalin and have been for almost a year. I recommend you be skeptical of the literature on "focusing problems" and try this for yourself.

1. Find something you never lose focus on
2. Pretend/model other activities after that thing
3. Through trial and error, perfect said method of adapting other activities to make things seem like the thing you can focus on
4. ????
5. Profit. Your will be able to focus on pretty much anything at this point and even though you are using a method to focus, which took time and effort to make, you will have an advantage over all other people who never were able to develop said method and had to rely on stimulants the rest of their life.

Bump

Try entry level books or GOOD genre fiction first.

After you read 1-2 books you really enjoyed (i.e. page turners/you can't put down) it gets a lot easier.

You focus will improve. Just keep reading.

I've read 5-6 books over my winter break and each one got easier and easier. At first I could only manage 20 pages without losing focus and not taking in anything, now I can read large potions of books in one sitting.

I consider my self a good reader ( kind of ) and I'll often only read 15 pages in a day. Completely depends on the book. On V ready day I can read 100-150 pages, if I've virtually nothing else to do. Most days is more like 10-40, and if it's 40 that'll normally be in two sittings if it's a Joyce or something.

you're not a good reader.

najvjerojatnije lagao i za to

Interesting. I am a Physics student and that is similar how I am reading my books: I am going through the Problems/Exercises first until I memorize them, and then I start reading the proper chapters. I figure the brain is naturally selected for problem-solving, I figure there is no difference between problem-solving and goal-orientation. I have recently done this focus test, nytimes.com/interactive/2010/06/07/technology/20100607-distraction-filtering-demo.html?_r=0, got a max score. Do people seriously get anything less, I wonder? So there must be a lot of crazy multitaskers on lit.

How do you know?

>At first I could only manage 20 pages without losing focus

>tfw the first couple of pages in a reading session are the hardest, and I regain my focus after having read 15 pages or so

How do you guys have all this time. I feel like maybe I'm missing out on a lot? I only read in bursts of 1.5 hours max normally, but I have quite a lot of shit to do. Do you think there's a huge difference?

Get in bed at 9pm and read until you fall asleep

>but I have quite a lot of shit to do

You probably do, but based on experience there's probably many ways you can free up some time to read.

because im a good reader and i got that by reading your post