Hey Veeky Forums what's the best way to learn a language?

I really wanna learn French so I don't have to rely on translations for a lot of things I read. Have ny of you tried Rosetta Stone? Does it work?
What have you tried?
(sorry i'm drunk posting)

Other urls found in this thread:

dictionary.reverso.net/english-french/
la-conjugaison.nouvelobs.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=0uQ_X6nQ8xk
youtube.com/watch?v=biYdUZXfz9I
youtube.com/watch?v=9Cd4927YPYA
youtube.com/watch?v=UbDy3mWGz6g
youtube.com/watch?v=udjMEqeijJA
youtube.com/watch?v=EHQA96mbPWc
youtube.com/watch?v=PRzKsIiOVkE
youtube.com/watch?v=fSOeeXGMWwg
youtube.com/watch?v=lIIyA3DAQXo
youtube.com/watch?v=B2kvtRprvkk
youtube.com/watch?v=SWEYLpG70AI
youtube.com/watch?v=I_fwJSGnICU
youtu.be/CPc-5SbiReo?t=1m28s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Duolingo. Currently at 40% and I feel like it works. I'm slowly starting to get pretty good at French.

Just do a couple of levels every day.

Once I finish the Duolingo course i'll go onto something more technical i.e. textbooks.

Seconding this. There's nothing like immersion, and so once you have finished learning the basics of grammar and vocab, try reading one of your favorite (simple) books in French. Then try some French films.

l'école... j'y suis allé

j'ai utilise duolingo pour plusieurs mois, mais je recommende un cahier d'exercise. c'est meilleur pour la grammaire

This, I'm using it for Russian currently and it seems to be working reasonably well.

I'd also recommend consuming media in the language. I've found it especially helpful to listen to music, that way you can get used to how it sounds even when you're not actively working on learning the language

>J'etudie le francais en utilisant duolingo pendant quelques mois, mais un cahier d'exercise serait meilleur pour la grammaire.

i suggest pic related. also:
dictionary.reverso.net/english-french/
la-conjugaison.nouvelobs.com/

the fastest and easiest way to learn a language is by moving to the country that speaks that language that you want to learn and take lessons there.

What is the best language to learn purely for literature? Italian? Russian? French? What language has a broad array of great books?

You can completely emulate this by putting your OS into the language you want to learn and only visit websites in the language you want to learn. Bonus points for using a proxy so all websites are already targeted at the language you want to learn.

>easiest

Fastest, yes.

Easiest, debatable.

Flash cards and TV programs for children. The key to successful learning is exercising retrieval of knowledge.

Latin

Is Latin worth learning, even if there are great books written in Latin? Considering almost no one speaks it, it doesn't seem worth the hassle. In terms of languages that bring communication benefits, do you have any recommendations?

Don't listen to these idiot's saying "play videogames".

Start by getting a textbook and reading it twice, skim it once to get an idea of the grammer and vocabulary, then actually work through it and do all the exercises.

After you've done that, get a dictionary and a book of children's stories. Keep reading simple books till you've gotten a fluency in the grammer and basic vocabulary, then keep working your way up to more advanced literature.

Once you've reached a certain point, pick up some books on grammer written in the language you want to lean. This will really help you sort out how to order the language and arrange your thoughts. Practice writing while using as many of these grammatical tools as you can (especially try to explore thoughts and distinctions you can't in your own language) and you should have a good grasp of it all.

And always watch movies with subtitles. It's good passive learning.

I'm getting some lessons from French in Action. Its has a charismatic teacher-host and bra-free Francowaifu.

What are you listening to? I've been doing the same but also using learnrussian.rt to supplement it (I would recommend it, it's better for grammar than duolingo and a second source is always good)

Videogames is how I learned english tho.

Me too but there is no way I could spend hours in a videogame again just for a language, I would get bored in no time.

I've found the best way is befriending a French international student (even better if you find a girl and gf them) at whatever college you're going to and teach each other your respective languages

>don't play video games in a different language
>watching movies is ok
What.

mostly black metal, Russia produces a shit ton of it for some reason and a lot of it is really fucking good

When I learned Spanish, I started with an entry-level textbook and only used online resources to teach me how to pronounce things. After that, I moved on to video games (children's RPGs are good, such as Pokemon) and elementary novels.

Basically, use a textbook to teach you grammar rules and conjugations, and then use video games and books to teach you vocabulary, since it will likely be more useful than the vocab lists in textbooks. Keep a dictionary next to you for any words you can't figure out with context clues, and write it down and repeat it to yourself until you can recite it from memory.

Anime can also be good, but I've found music mostly impossible to understand, despite understanding people talking perfectly well

As an Italian I had to learn Latin in high school so I can tell you that while it's pretty difficult it helps a LOT for any subsequent language and mind development in general

What's a good website/app/whatever for learning German? I was a B1 level in middle school but then I stopped studying it so now I think I'll have to start over, or at least take some test to see where I am

Get a book already translated. Get original copy. Translate line by line. Then double check back.

get a shit load of textbooks.
go on pirate bay and download a collection of 50+ books buy searching the language.

it should include grammars, dicationaries, beginners/intermediate/advanced/colloquial, dialects, culture, babby lit, top lit.

immersion doesnt mean shit if you just want to read in the language. otherwise it is necessary

Can recommend Sandberg's Reading for German, using it atm.

>
hello my friend, frenchfag here.
I would suggest you to listen some french rap, while reading the lyrics, or not. It's actual poetry.
here is a "pot pourri" I made for you.
From oldest to newest:

youtube.com/watch?v=0uQ_X6nQ8xk
youtube.com/watch?v=biYdUZXfz9I
youtube.com/watch?v=9Cd4927YPYA
youtube.com/watch?v=UbDy3mWGz6g
youtube.com/watch?v=udjMEqeijJA
youtube.com/watch?v=EHQA96mbPWc
youtube.com/watch?v=PRzKsIiOVkE
youtube.com/watch?v=fSOeeXGMWwg
youtube.com/watch?v=lIIyA3DAQXo
youtube.com/watch?v=B2kvtRprvkk (this one is good for learning)
youtube.com/watch?v=SWEYLpG70AI
youtube.com/watch?v=I_fwJSGnICU

I use duolingo and memrise, both pretty decent apps.

I also watch documentaries in the language I'm learning.

Yeah but if your goal is to learn a language, video games are very inefficient because you'll spend a ton of time doing non-language intensive tasks.

Buy a grammar book

This will trigger a lot of anons but:
Move to a country that speaks the language.
Get a gf that is native in the language.
Both.

be friend with a star
youtu.be/CPc-5SbiReo?t=1m28s
stunning results

I don't get guys who say shit like that
Did your parents send you down a slope when you learned how to ride a bike?

Why would you post that pleb shit on Veeky Forums ? Having to put up with all the John Green threads is bad enough, I don't come here to be assaulted with awful rap. It's also a terrible advice, OP is just starting to learn so there's no way listening to music in his target language while reading the lyrics can work. And you're feeding him tracks full of street slang that he'll never use. His goal is to read French literature, not sell kebabs in Aulnay-sous-Bois.

>It's actual poetry.
Fuck off.

Are Latin and Italian pretty similar? I hear that Spanish is very similar to Italian, so learning the latter, if the answer to my first question is yes, should open up an easy route to 3 languages for the effort of 1. If this is true, where could one learn Latin, since duoLingo would rather make Klingon than Latin.

so much butthurt in this post

This.

Yeah once you've learned Latin all romance languages should be easier because they are essentially a simplified version of Latin. And Italian it's I think the closest
Plus you get to read a lot of classic writers in their original language(well not like you would read any book in a foreign language due to the complexity of Latin, but at least you can get book with side-by-side translation)

Oh and I don't know the answer to that question since as I said I learned it in high school

This.
"Learn language by listening to rap" is retarded reddit-tier garbage. Imagine if you learned English by listening to Tupac. You'd sound like a thugged out retard and you'd barely be equipped to read Cat in the Hat much less Shakespeare.

he said he was drunk. also okay, just learn the Bescherelle book. Its a very basic method with all the sneaky subtilities of french. Because this language is very difficult to learn, lots of french people even still make 12yo errors. Very sad.
So, yeah, maybe listenning to rap is a really shitty idea, but It's a good way to approach french culture, at least.
Pic related is really painstalking, used by some schools to punish bad kids.
But its the best book to learn how to spell french. How is my engrish ?

Your English is hilarious.
It's that manner of English which is grammatically correct but has the uncanny taint of foreigner nonetheless.

I'm a Hofstadter fanatic but how is pic related relevant? Should I read the French version?

Oops, I meant to indicate your pic related, not mine. (Which doesn't exist.)

I've spoken to language experts and they don't recommend Duolingo because it's slow as fuck. Use textbooks and talk to/listen to natives.