Pre-requisites for learning biology

I've always liked the sound of biology so what are some things/subjects that I should know before venturing into it?

Well you should know basic math. Basic chemistry also helps though generally biology students learn chemistry concurrently with their biology studies.

Venture into chem or physics. Unless you're interested in learning about evolution or ecology there's not much to biology. Biochemistry and biological physics is more stimulating.

>this subject isn't interesting to me so you shouldn't find it interesting, go study something that interests me instead

math, chemistry, be ready to learn statistics

what kind of biology do you want to get into user?

e.g. hiking and climbing experience will be useful for terrestrial, wheras boating and dive experience will be useful for marine - thats if you even want to get into the research side of things.

OP asked for pre-requisites, he gave him good pre-requisites. you're just an insecure buttblasted biology major

biochem is a well known loophole for bio majors who couldnt pass chem

biological physics is mildly interesting in terms of functional biology

physics is not even close to being a biology prereq

>not good pre-requisites

Shit, I had to take Orgo I & II and Biochem.

I'm probably going to Take Pchem as an elective after finishing Modern Physics.

At my school we had to take gen-chem, then orgo I and II as a pre-requisite to biochem (though I found biochem a lot easier than orgo)

>Unless you're interested in learning about evolution or ecology there's not much to biology

Have you ever even heard of Genetics? Functional Genomics? Molecular Biology? Metabolomics? Transciptomics? Genomics? Secretomics? Proteomics? Cell Biology? Systems Biology? I could go on and on.

>Unless you are interested in counting there's not much to physics, engineering and maths

Do I sound as retarded as you now?

Most likely a ton of chemistry (up to Organic Chem). Some calculus. Then finally some basic biology.

Aside from taking some basic calculus, chem and biochem, read this. It's the most comprehensible cell biology book to date and you should be able to catch up with all the important discoveries until couple years back. This book is like a foundation for a biologist, I shit you not. Not only does it cover a wide range of subjects such as transcriptional dynamics, protein transport and protein-DNA-metabolite interactions, it's actually very well written. My ex who was an English major enjoyed reading it and so did a mathematician friend of mine.

I'm currently about to start my second year to my master's in molecular biology and aside from some very new stuff in epigenetics and transcriptional regulation, I already knew the stuff that was taught in my program thanks to these authors.

Have you passed high school? Then you're ready. You don't really need to know anything specific (assuming you've had basic chemistry, physics and calculus etc. in high school).

>I've always liked the sound of biology
Red flag, you should actually study a few textbooks and see if you enjoy the reading and learning the science. Lab experience will also help a lot in determining whether you really want to go in that direction. Some people get very turned off by lab work, and molecular biology isn't about cutting up animals, which admittedly is cool.

Considering Biology deals with larger-scale objects than physics and chemistry, you will need to have a good understanding in both, while the reverse isn't necessary for physics majors for example. This is arguably to your advantage so don't hesitate to delve into the other sciences for your own knowledge and learning benefit, you'll end up knowing more and able to reliably have opinions in a greater variety of scientific topics.

This is dead wrong. Unless you're going to some bumfuck college in the US, biology degrees deal with genetics, biochemistry and molecular biology in their majority, but curricula DO vary, so you should check which direction interests you and then check what the school offers courses in. Also, unless you're living in the US, you can disregard the replies about the state of biology in the US. Europe is arguably better in that regard, since degrees aren't piggybacked on for getting into med school.

Lastly, take this user's advice and get that book. It is the Holy Bible of molecular biology and will be invaluable to your studies.

A bit unrelated but what are the prerequisites for topology and knot theory?

basic math obviously

Everywhere I've heard of general chemistry is required before you take general bio

explore the various different stems of biology so you'll know which one you want to get into because there is a shit ton unless you're going to med school

evolution and ecology is boring as fuck

genetics, molecular bio, microbio, immunology, physiology are where it's at

>biochem is a well known loophole for bio majors who couldnt pass chem

what? My uni is chem --> ochem --> biochem ---> pharmacology after biochem 1

I believe you, that sounds more logical to me.

At my uni biochem 1 was equivalent to chem 1, chem 1 was notorious for being a coarse-filter for retards.

So they got rid of biochem 1 for Bsc. majors: you have to jump the hurdle now. Its a good thing.

Even though I reckon could impart all the chemistry knowledge needed irl in my field in a weekend.

that sounds odd, was there no ochem stuff in your biochem?

My UC has two biochem series + one that's a basic version.

basic version is for "easier" bio majors is one quarter, there is a three quarter bio series for micro/molecular bio and "harder" bio, and a three quarter chem series for biochem majors.

but ya gen chem is a filter despite not being difficult, it mainly filters those who just want to get into med for cash or some shit

i did chem 1 famalam, and it was approx one third ochem where i am

i would do biochem purely because i think its interesting, but at that point in my undergrad it was more important for me to do stats classes imo, and it wasnt a prereq

i feel you though, but where I am it was boiled down to

>redox equations and ochem
VS.
>photosynthesis and ATP pathway diagrams

the latter got a bunch of people through the coarse filter undeservedly, but not to worry most of them default to environmental management or something pleb tier as soon as the statistical packages rear their ugly heads

>lol statz iz hard an0n