What's the antonym for percussive/percussion?

what's the antonym for percussive/percussion?

melodic if we're talking about music

that implies that percussion is associated with dissonance or atonality

Annebolin

Snake

unpercussive

yeah, it's not really the most common usage, though in a way, you could even say that it is associated with dissonance

in a different way, if you meant something like "sounds with low attack/with an attack onset", then I don't really know what you could use short of "unpercussive" or just describing the phenomenon with a full sentence

...or maybe something like "mellow sounds"?

Compressed, if looking at technical music production a compressor tool softens the initial strike of an instrument through time related dampening.

>I don't really know what you could use short of "unpercussive" or just describing the phenomenon with a full sentence

yeah :/

perhaps there's a word i a language other than english

doesn't a compressor just reduce the amount of dynamics, i.e. turns up the more silent sounds and turns down the more loud ones?

Droning. Arrhythmic depending on context too I guess.

Yep, still wrong.
This is also wrong, though most percussion instruments are technically dissonant (in that they generate a tone cluster)
I don't believe there is one, can't think of one for the verb of striking or hitting either.

Yeah I think that guy's thinking of "attack" or similar as you might find on a synthetic. It's how quickly the sound "comes in"

Percussive music is not necessarily rhythmic either, wrong.

>This is also wrong, though most percussion instruments are technically dissonant (in that they generate a tone cluster)
so how is it wrong? that's exactly what I meant, the joke is just on me being autistic and assuming that that's the meaning that OP wanted

I guess it is the closest, but it is not a true antonym as there is also of course instruments like the vibraphone, marimba, glockenspiel or even the piano, which are percussive but also tuned.

maybe legato?

No, that is the antonym of staccato.

It could work in a less-technical context though.
Staccato is essentially "playing notes percussively"

Fluid

Unabrupt

drums are tuned

Anti-percussive, anti-percussion.

boom, roasted

why the fuck do you need this word, OP.
For what purpose.

A percussive sound does in no way denote duration like staccato does. Staccato = short sound, while percussion = sound produced by striking

Yes, to a fundamental, but striking a drum produces a tone cluster instead of the (more) harmonic tone produced by other instruments.

Of course playing for example a string instrument pizzicato produces a similar effect really, but it is more a question of gradation rather than absolutes.

Dampened?

but would you not have to play a percussive instrument legato to get a non-staccato (percussive) sound from it?

No, legato implies exaggerated drawn out sound, I could for example strike a cymbal once and let it last the full duration of the written note, thus not being staccato.

i'm confused, how could you strike a symbol and hold a tone for a set duration of time. is that possible to do percussively? would you not have to bow or brush the cymbal?

No of course not, the cymbal sound is sustained unless interrupted.

explain, it doesn't just go on it settles after a while

Yes, of course, but what I meant is letting the cymbal ring out or to a set duration (quarter note etc.) rather than staggered (i.e. staccato) notes.

for a shorter, staccato duration, you choke it with your hand or against your body

>letting the cymbal ring out or to a set duration

is there a concise word for this action?

i.e. "i want you to _____ the cymbal"

It rarely needs to be specified, but sometimes one notes it as "let ring" in scores.

any sound that breaks up silence is rhythmic, even what is commonly referred to as "arhythmic"

that sounds like an unorthodox stance

It didn't sound like anything, unless you read what I wrote out loud to yourself

>he doesn't subvocalize

It is though. At least in a musical/audio technical context.

True, but then we are getting into semantics and beyond the realm of music into acoustics.

Antonym doesn't sound quite right in this context, OP.