Is this accurate?

Is this accurate?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zermelo–Fraenkel_set_theory
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bio is stamp collecting, yeah
I don't get what the others are saying

The point is that biology is harder than chemistry which is harder than physics which is harder than math

maths end is more about problem solving, bio end is more about learning

that was the point? that doesn't make any sense. you got it upside down.
the point that bio is stamp collecting is the only thing you got right then

If harder means "more memorization", then yes this picture is correct

>bio end is more about understanding complex systems.

ftfy

yes, biology problems do deal with a lot more natural variables than other sciences. That's a feature of the scope of the science though, nothing more

>bio end if about collecting as many stamps as you can

ftfy

spoken like someone who found Biology too hard

>someone who found Biology too hard
does such a thing exist? isn't bio what people pick when they fail chem?

buthurt that my subject explains your subject

How come the chem guy is a ching-chong?

As a biochemist, you have to understand some phenomenons in biology and memorize what kind of proteins exist, the processes, the vocabulary, and then you explain these processes through chemistry. Chemistry can be a fuckload of programming and no formulas at all. Organic chemistry is probably the field where the most memorisation is necessary. Not because you have to remember mechanisms happening in each name reaction (that is all logical, albeit a bit hard to fully understand in the time constraints of 2-3 semesters), but because you have to remember how those name reactiond are called because every once in a while one fucker invents a new variety to do something differently. Oh and also become able to map abbreviations like DEAD or DMAP to a structure. I don't think the structures get any more complicated than in orgaChem. That said, structure made me kek and looks like someone uses ChemDraw but there is no way you can get away with chair confirmation here / 10.

Math is the only subject that relies 100% on memorization.
Intuition isn't worth anything, all you need to do is memorize symbols and operations.
Congrats symbol monkey, you shoved the square shape into the square hole.

>does such a thing exist?
yes, it's why so many unsolved problems exist in biology

>isn't bio what people pick when they fail chem?
no, people don't go from picking math and finding it too hard to picking physics and finding it too hard and so on to choose their degree, contrary to what Veeky Forums told you. People pick degrees based on interest.

goddamn I feel like a retard for typing this, this shit is so rudimentary but you can never be sure if posts like yours are genuine ignorance or bait memery these, so it's not worth taking the risk

>math
>memorization
kek
the stuff you took in high school doesn't qualify as math, brainlet

good one. try actually doing maths and not arithmetic. otherwise go back to learning interesting facts about poo

>people don't go from picking math and finding it too hard to picking physics and finding it too hard and so on to choose their degree
in my experience they do lmao
watching people drop out and switch degrees is hilarious
I guess not many people drop out of bio

>memorization
>easy
ayy

Apparently it does. And no, everyone knows Chem is just hedging between Physics and Biology.
Thats like saying movement of atoms in the air explains the entire global climate. If you want to be lazy and just leave it at that then so be it, let the real scientists pick up your slack.

bio degree=failed doctors

You know how 'artistic'-type retards parrot the old truism that 'math and science are for non-creative-types' because they think it's just rote memorization of facts? That's how you guys sound when you say Bio is just stamp collecting when you haven't taken any advanced courses in bio. You're just revealing that you don't know what you're talking about.

nice stamp, adding to my collection

>in my experience they do lmao
mate, I doubt this would be considered decent bait or banter anywhere

>I guess not many people drop out of bio
ironically enough it has one of the highest drop out rates

>movement of atoms plus newtons laws= >thermodynamics, pressure laws. >
>thermodynamics=meteorology aka global climate
it actually does. Saying we are not real scienctist like you are one

I've seen it happen, people dropping from math and into physics/chem/eng
what do people who drop out of bio go to? probably engineering or ecology, something lower-tier, you know

this thread is pure cancer, nuke

this

(you)

You literally just proved my point you utter moron. You had to furnish what I said with a bunch of other laws and systems to build the whole picture of meteorology. I.e. it is not as simple as merely atoms moving, other laws need to be understood to build the picture.
So
>buthurt that my subject explains your subject
has just been disproven by your very self.

Welldone brainlet, let the real scientists do science. Stick to Veeky Forums lurking

>claim physics explains meteo
>show how physics explains meteo
>"Welldone brainlet"

something's off

I literally don't know how you formulated that response. It wouldn't take much to follow my logic.

ugh not argumentation anymore just insulting. way to ruin all the fun

mathematics from greek "mathema" literally means "knowledge, study, learning". So no, bio is not more about "learning". What you mean is "memorization".

>argument based on the greek root of the name of something
wow

Don't forget the metabolic cycles involved in photosynthesis and their variation over 24 hour and seasonal time frames impacting the water cycle, and thermohaline circulation and la nina - el nino cycles etc.

I am sorry, I forgot this was a chabers debate and not a petty scrap that started with "my science is bigger than your science"

>brainlet biologist forced to concede
stamp collectors BTFO
math confirmed the biggest science

math is not a science

math is a tool

>brianlet biologist reduced to insulting and whining
stamp collectors BTFO
biology confirmed pseudoscience

No one drops out of a non-engineering major and then goes into an engineering major. Not because I'm saying it's harder (we already have enough of a catfight in this thread) but because it has stiffer requirements than other degrees at most schools. Even if you were a second year math major, youd have to start all over at calc 2 "for engineers :^)"

Math is just a tool, like language is. They are inherent to humans and they were formalized circa 1800 for academia.

Science uses these tools (math and languages) to make testable predictive theories about the natural world.

>No one drops out of a non-engineering major and then goes into an engineering major
seen it happen plenty of times, mostly because we have a core-subject system where math majors take the same calculus as engineers before doing analysis

ecology is true master race, biotic and abiotic come at me m8.

But I did just that.

>muh requirements
American problems. We have standardized entrance exams.

>mathtard cannot into science forced to troll
thread is a cesspool, OP is officially a faggot

Quite easily the most useful ever invented by anybody.

I bet when you graduate, American engineering firms won't recognize your degree.

am i the only one who hates chemistry? it's all so damn arbitrary. obviously that's not anyone's fault, but still

they hire people from India

so yeah, that's what American engineering firms standards are

>undergrad level biology and chemistry examples
>lower high school level physics example
>meme maths example

>lower high school
literally looked up a quantum physics course at MIT and copied what they had at the blackboard

stop pretending

To do IT. Wall Street employs them as glorified calculators if they're autistic enough.

I know "engineers" from India, Pakistan, and Eastern Europe who work at grocery stores.

no you don't

that's why engineers vote for Trump

>watching university maths lecture
>last step of working is 2+2=4
>"wow guys, maths students at uni are learning 2+2=4"

i did that equation for the first time in my first year of high school physics

just because they go over it again briefly it doesn't mean that's all they're learning

sure you did, brainlet

Fine I only know one EE from Morocco who used to work at the store I did in high school.

As for your Trump remark, my jimmies are officially rustled.

[math] E = \frac{ hc }{ \lambda } [/math]
Is an incredibly common equation in physics. If you didn't at least touch on waves and optics in hs physics, you went to a shitty high school.

this

sure thing

Mfw I dropped out of soft. Engi. To go to math. Because I started giving a shit about the way I look to society

Am I cool now mom?

8)

>stamp collecting
What did he mean by this?

>mfw I majored I'm biology so I can just grow plants and shrooms with grant money
Done mind me while get to travel to exotic places to "study" more psychedelics

imo chemistry seems ridiculously fragmented and random to me.

this

I've never seen a mathematician take the -1/12 thing seriously. This caused a stir in our department when it the Numberphile vid came out and people were pissed at the misinformation.

Physicists, on the other hand, invariably think it's legit because "lol math is weird" and I get a huge popsci vibe from that community when they talk about it.

my face when a mathematician was a brainlet next to me

biocucks don't belong on Veeky Forums

Blame le mememan Lawrence Krauss.
I try not to shit too hard on popularizers because it's hard work, but he keeps dropping that "by the way do you know that 1+2+3+...=-1/12, math is weird" bit and presenting it like an actual mathematical reality, and that's unnerving.
I'd like to see a mathematician shut him up about that once.

physicists scared of a little complexity detected

>biochemistry
nice try kiddo

There's nothing wrong with saying something slightly wrong that's weird as fuck so the person actually educates thyself on it

math is actually about purely logic my dude. Even my psychologist told me that I'm good at math because I'm a hugely left brained person. Meaning that my personality is based on reason and logic. And that's true for a lot of mathematicians.

That's the thing: people don't educate themselves. They just watch a fucking popmath video and suddenly think they know everything. It's like when people who aren't even out of trig talk about quantum mechanics as if they know the first thing about it.

>muh divisions based on names given to fields of study rather than including the interactions necessary for life within the study of life

non-interdisciplinary pleb detected

If your math classes are only memorization, I feel bad for you. The majority of my math classes have been like 90% analysis and 10% remembering procedures.

>interdisciplinarity
what a big meme

math is 100% memorising axioms

for you

the whole of modern math uses 9 axioms en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zermelo–Fraenkel_set_theory

and they're all intuitive. "the empty set is a set", "there exists a union of sets", "a subclass of a set is a set", etc etc

>people don't educate themselves
some do

explain algebra

which part?
algebra in very broad terms is the study of "structure". first courses in algebra will study sets and operations defined of them which satisfy nice properties. for example, finite groups.

a finite group is a finite set together with an operation *, that satisfies associativity, inversibility and having an identity. this means (a*b)*c = a*(b*c), there exists an element 1 such that a*1 = a for any a, and for any a in the set there exists an element a^-1 such that a*a^-1 = 1.

the study of this kind of thing is, again, based on "structure". we want to understand how structures relate to other structures, how you can take substructures of a structure, and how to classify structures. in this vein, the isomorphism theorems tell us how structures can be connected via transformations between them and their substructures, the lagrange ans sylow theorems tell us about certain substructures that our group must have, and the structure theorem for abelian groups / classification of simple groups tell us a lot about the building blocks for groups

other than groups, one studies rings (two operations, with distributivity), fields (where multiplication has an inverse), modules (think vector fields but with rings instead of fields), etc, etc.
algebra is cool

I guess that's why proofs just state axioms and don't come to any conclusions from them.

>American problems. We have standardized entrance exams.
The point (the way I see it) was more than engineering courses are more specifically tailored to engineers so that you have to start over completely if you drop out and enroll in an engineering major, so people don't do it because they would have wasted some years.

yeah, I wasted some years, so?

HOW DO YOU DARE?

Same here, and I easily made As in Orgo I & II.

I really hope Pchem brings it all together. Otherwise, fuck it.

It would be funnier if instead of 1+2+3...=-1/12 it said 1+2+3=6

The 1+2+3+n = -1/12 is a result of mathematical physics, useful for stuff in string theory especially. It's not used in pure mathematics.

>p=ℎ/λ not p=ℏk
>νλ=c not ω=vk or dω/dk=v
>E=ℎν not E=ℏω

Reported for being in highschool

see

>harder than math
>being the basis of all of them

6.5/10 bait got some (you)s

Not sure if you're trolling or not, but that psychologist shouldn't be licensed. Left/right brain dichotomy isn't an accepted thing by anyone with an education in psychology/neuroscience.

>Math is the only subject that relies 100% on memorization

stop, turn around and go get an education

He's not wrong. You should have at least seen that equation in HS chemistry if not physics. We used it several times in AP chem

>obvious trolling
still postin

haha sure, in the HS of magic and science

why lie? i have seen the standard programs of america and europe, and there's nothing of the sort