Bible thread?

Bible thread?

I just finished Genesis. I plan on reading the Bible approximately (perhaps entirely) cover-to-cover. I was not exposed to the Bible in my childhood; the amount of sex and violence exceeded my expectations, but so did the quality of the narrative.

The Bible is dank. I don't recommend reading straight through though otherwise you're going to be bored out of your mind going through Kings/Chronicles and also 4 Gospels in a row.

Try reading Genesis, Exodus, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, one or two of the Gospels, Acts, Romans, and then Revalation.

Then go back and read the rest. It will make more sense and be more interesting.

if you really want to get a lot out of it, get a scholarly study Bible, which will have a lot of historical context and current academic theories on the composition/compilation of the books
(I personally really like the Harper Collins one)

Just don't get bogged down in the listing of the law, the descriptions of priestly duties, the census results, etc. Exodus is half narrative and half description, though the plans for the tabernacle in the second half are fascinating. To be pragmatic, I'd pass over Leviticus the first time, read the narrative parts of Numbers, and give a quick read of Deuteronomy, which restates a lot of Leviticus while interspersing some history and commands for the future as the people of Israel move into the land. After that, just carry on through. Joshua to Nehemiah is all history and narrative and a good read. The poetry/wisdom books are good for reading, and the prophets are best read as collections of poems that sometimes do and do not tie together well. Then the Gospels. Read Acts before getting into the epistles, since without it you'll miss some crucial context.

Best of luck, user. Enjoy.

I suggest Matthew and John as the two gospels btw. Also check out a few translations. You're probably reading KJV (hopefully not NIV), but NLT is really good for newer readers.

I'd say don't get a scholarly one at first, just a plain one in an accessible translation. Read for the story, the narrative arc, and the pleasure of the poetry. THEN get into the scholarly detail. Otherwise it'll just weigh you down.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Also read Job, Ecclesiastes, and Proverbs. GOAT books.

Hope you're reading this one to get the most out of it, unless you're reading for "beauty".

What's wrong with the NIV?

What's the difference between the Third and Fourth edition? What changed? Was it for the better or for the worse?

I'm actually reading exactly one of these.

dont do this op

i dont know why people suggest skipping some parts

like any other book, you read left to right, page by page, beginning to end

>left to right

someone sure got too used to reading manga

>reading the Bible cover to cover
yeahhhhh that sounds like sound advice, but it isn't.

Manga is read from right to left.

Someone sure didn't learn their fucking directions.

And you would know this how?

I would recommend reading the book of John (KJV)
Its basically the best book to read in terms of understanding salvation through Jesus Christ and getting saved.

depends on the person, I'm currently at psalms and I have been reading everything everything so far, no regrets

Isaiah and Revelations are the best books

I would like to start with the New Testament. I-is that ok? I know most of the stories from the Old Testament cuz indoctrination.

The fourth edition uses gender-inclusive language.

Really?

Start with Luke or John, then Acts, then Romans, then Corinthians

Ty user

I'd recommend Matthew or Luke first, then John. John is different enough but also has some key concepts that aren't in the other three.

Why should Mark be "skipped"?

The Bible is kind of redundant, if you ask me.

"God" from different perspectives. Yet, "God" is the most simplistic concept in human language. Thus a massive tome about it is boring.

I haven't read a single word of any holy book. However, I'm interested in learning about the crusades and the inquisition. Any recs?

It's basically an abridged Matthew; read it if you're serious, but if you just want an overview I'd skip it.

I'm currently into Kierkegaard, so I thought reading the Bible would be a good idea

>reading Kierkegaard before the Bible

just kys pseud

I didn't read him yet ;)

I am a pseud tho

i ordered a didache bible with the catholic catechism

i hope i didnt get memed

my oxford annotated is across the country :(