Proxima b

Why is this new planet such a big deal? We are finding this habitable planets every week. Is it because it is so "close"?
I mean, we didn't even get yet to Mars and they are already talking about how it will be Earth 2.0

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Daedalus
theguardian.com/science/2016/apr/12/stephen-hawking-and-yuri-milner-launch-100m-star-voyage
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because it is the closest exoplanet.

If we dumped the entire world's GDP into it. We could actually travel there in a human life span.

It's not about going there nigguh, it's about being able to get data since it's close.

you are deluded
no amount of money in the world will prepare you for the hell that is interstellar space travel
there are literally a trillion variables to consider all of which want to kill you to death

How long would it take to get some data from planet which is this close (far)?

I'm talking about telescope data my nizzle.

just as soon as we put some really big telescopes into space.

I figure an array of a dozen or do telescopes. Spread out in a formation about 1 AU in diameter.

who says we send people?

No way is the planet actually habitable, and it is a one way trip.

We should send an AI to fly by and gather data. Then beam it all back to earth.

According to Ignas Snellen, professor of Astronomy at the University of Leiden in the Netherlands
>We have no idea whether life could exist on this planet, but the circumstances are likely to be much more favourable than on Mars
>I think the probability that this planet has life is larger than that of there being life on Mars.
So it seems pretty promising. We still have almost no data other than that we know it's there, so the next step is finding out more.

>If we dumped the entire world's GDP into it. We could actually travel there in a human life span.
its almost 4.5 lightyears away you moron, it would take over 100,000+ years to get there using conventional space craft

>We should send an AI to fly by and gather data. Then beam it all back to earth.
oh sure what other star trek technology are we suddenly going to invent. how does one "beam data from over 4 light years away. the radio signal would be undecipherable after a lightyear.

fusion pulse propulsion.

If we can accelerate it long enough. The trip will be under 100 years.

Narrow AIs already exist. Watson does medical research and can diagnose better than human doctors.

Right now space probes work from commands from earth. Even with the several light minutes/hours of lag. A narrow AI would have to do everything with out ever being told by earth. Including a huge contingency list in case of something going wrong.

You use the nozzle of the fusion pulse drive as the main dish. It would be tens of meters across. You can beat the Inverse Square Law by transmitting at low bandwidth and repeating the transmission over and over again. So even if the signal to noise ratio is horrible. Statistical math will eventually sort out all the noise.

>fusion pulse propulsion
WE STELLARIS NOW

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Daedalus

>using conventional space craft
Good thing we're developing new technology. And who says we'd send humans there? Starshot that shit.

>its almost 4.5 lightyears away you moron, it would take over 100,000+ years to get there using conventional space craft
>he fell for the conventional meme

I was always wondering - how would a spaceship traveling at 10% of c avoid dark planets, huge asteroids - really nasty stuff.

Also if space-warping was hypothetically possible - then traveling faster than light trough warping space - what would happen if there was a planet or a star in your path...

>how would a spaceship traveling at 10% of c avoid dark planets, huge asteroids - really nasty stuff.
you avoid it statistically.

Just like satellites avoid each other statistically until they crash into each other?

>who says we send people?
Not that user, but are you too dumb to read? The guy he responded to suggested it.

space is quite a lot bigger than LEO

>a study conducted between 1973 and 1978 by the British Interplanetary Society
>the design criteria specified that the spacecraft had to use existing or near-future technology
>Daedalus would be propelled by a fusion rocket using pellets of a deuterium/helium-3 mix that would be ignited in the reaction chamber by inertial confinement using electron beams.
>Due to scarcity of helium-3 on Earth, it was to be mined from the atmosphere of Jupiter by large hot-air balloon
The hippie years saw a lot of drug abuse...

>he fell for the fountain of youth fraud

He didn't you mong

Kerbal tells me that is in fact incredibly difficult to hit something in space, even if you want to

>We could actually travel there in a human life span.
>He didn't you mong
Yes, he did you mong.

Different mong here. He didn't say that at all, you fucking mong

Another mong who can't read
I'll be glad once summer is over

Not him but
>travel in a human life span
does not mean
>send human

>you are deluded
>no amount of money in the world will prepare you for the hell that is interstellar space travel
there are literally a trillion variables to consider all of which want to kill you to death

Tell me where he suggests sending robots, you mong

>in a human life span.
>life span
Learn to fucking read nigger

Who else is gonna build the spaceship and program it

There's a right proper fuck who omits part of a quote in order to make it look like he still has an argument when in fact he's been found out as a complete moron. But I can quote selectively just as well from the same posting:
>We could actually travel there
Was a robot speaking there and making a reference to robots when using the word "we" you mong?

You imbecile fuck are too stupid to read in order to properly get the references. I answered to a guy who answered a guy who answered a guy when I said "The guy he responded to suggested it.". So with "he" I referred to the first of the three before me, to this guy here:

>We could actually travel there
>We ... travel there
>We
Learn to fucking read, imbecile.

>brainlet is mad he can't get to eeloo
lel fag.

>Is it because it is so "close"?
Yes.
But this has much more implications than simply the hypothetical possibility to one day send a probe there.

is cosmic dust actually relevant when travelling through space, doesn't that fuck up ya ship? or have i been memed

It is. Hitting a mote of dust at relativistic speeds will induce enormous Bremsstrahlung of hard x-ray type. Depending on the speed of travel even lead shielding a meter thick won't be enough to let humans survive. Likewise, electronics can be very vulnerable to this type of radiation, too. Modern small nanometer structures are out of the question.

so we are pretty much fucked for this life time of every escaping this shit hole, until we figure out how to deal with the dust?

well you can always use a radar and adjust your trajectory

Radiation is the easy part of interstellar travel. The hard part is the energy demand.

Then the shielding is 500m thick.

Radiation is only dangerous if you're close to the emission source. A radio mast like construction could be 1 km long with an ablative barrier on top and engines and crew compartment on the other end and still easily manage 1G of acceleration, if we settle at 0.5G acceleration or 0.1G acceleration we can make it much longer and lighter. Supplies like water and food and clothes and whatever else that are radiation resistant could be stacked inside the truss structure and would act as additional shielding along the way.

In space construction is the rate limiting step. If we could build in space cheaply and skillfully then energy can be had via reactors or beamed from huge laser arrays. If we could build in space for as cheap as on ground we could use solar arrays to power gigawatt lasers and hose energy around in enormous quanitities for a few cheap billion USD. Instead we'll get maybe 100MW with no laser attached for the same billions today because we're stuck with expensive chemical launch.

What exhaust velocity do you assume and what dry mass of your vehicle?

How far is Proxima Centauri?

How long a shuttle travel to Proxima Centauri?

If a ship craft travel at speed of 650,000 mph, How long it would take to reach Proxima Centauri?

>a trillion variables

Space is pretty empty senpai.

The only thing that will kill us is human error.

>If a ship craft travel at speed of 650,000 mph, How long it would take to reach Proxima Centauri?
Its 25 trillion miles away so that would make it around 4400 years.

So basically you need to reach a velocity of tens of millions of mph to reach anything in a meaningful time frame. So yeah, we pretty much need a memedrive or antimatter propulsion (only "storable" "fuel" with high enough energy density).

Because that's the nearest place we can file a complaint about the Vogon's proposed demolition of our planet to make way for a hyperspace bypass

There is no Planet B retards. If we make the environment unlivable on earth, we die. Stop masturbating at star trek. We are killing ourselves and all i see is: save the planet or earth 2.0. The planet does not need saving and any other planet is too far.

>micro meteorites, cosmic radiation and bone decalcification are all human error

do you really not understand space warping? brainlet... you fold the paper and THEN stab the pencil thru it. no one gives a shit about stars dude.

>impossibly unlikely in interstellar space
>large craft is shielded
>large craft is rotating
The "hell of interstellar space" is just about exactly the same as "the hell of normal space". Don't be such an alarmist.
That being said, I'd agree that a human-rated interstellar ship is at least a century away.

This
Kerbal too easy
I think he means alcubierre, in which case I haven't found a good answer to how matter interacts with the field.

we're gonna be dicking around in the backyard that is our own solar system before we ever go interstellar.

space x will make cowboy bebop real

>it's easy, we'll just invent: *insert hypothetical star trek technology here* and everything will be ok

O'neil Cylinders.

Which are much simpler than flying people to another star system.

Kill you to death

Has anybody done a good study on the Space X Fanboi phenomenon?

Musk and SpaceX has brought the excitement back to spacetravel, that is has been missing since Apollo.

You mean the James Webb Telescope?

This is far below the JWST NIRCam inner working angle. It can't take a direct image. The planet also isn't known to transit so it makes low spectral resolution followup from JWST hard. It's uncertain what it will be able to do because the best techniques wont work for this planet with JWST. One of the future ground based extremely large telescopes like the may have a better chance as they have smaller IWAs and high res spectroscopy.

Oh
okay then

obviously "we" as in "we of this species"

At least we've found helium 3 in lunar regolith so when we do start using gen 2 fusion reactors, we can get fuel economically.

Most of the articles you see are clickbait. In the scientific community theyre probably like "hey guys btw we studied this planet might be habitable for life were gonna look into it more" and then you see articles OMG POTENTIAL LIFE ON PLANET DKSHEHFISJ383857483^9393

we can also skyhook Jovian gas and process it in orbit.

Sounds like a lot more work and infrastructure than building a linear accelerator, some solar panels, and a digging robot on the moon.

true

but then you find out you're a clone, one of like hundreds of clones, and you are going to die in a couple years.

Same user you just quoted.
I never understood that. The cloning bay was enormous. And we saw technicians land to fix equipment, so why couldn't they actually rotate out on a schedule?

>If we dumped the entire world's GDP into it. We could actually travel there in a human life span.

it's possible that we will have a probe relatively soon, capable to travel there in 20 years and the project for that is privately funded by mere 100m $

theguardian.com/science/2016/apr/12/stephen-hawking-and-yuri-milner-launch-100m-star-voyage

>The "hell of interstellar space" is just about exactly the same as "the hell of normal space".
probably less dangerous because there is no radiation from the nearby star

fusion pulse propulsion a shit imo

the way how hawking and milner propose it i.e. laser pushed lightsail is much better

Because its close you idiot.

>25 trillion miles
>close

for space that is practically touching.

Sol, Proxima Centauri, and Alpha/Beta Centauri systems' ort clouds touch.

because its nearby.

this means we have more data that the neighborhood solar systems are actually created fairly equally.

this means there are probably tons of other habitable zone planets nearby similar to ours.

this still says NOTHING about the probability of life or the probability of earth like planets however, this is information on habitable zone planets ONLY.

>sol

>Sol

>Sol, Proxima Centauri, and Alpha/Beta Centauri systems' ort clouds touch

l-lewd

>brainlets

Terra

basically thisSeriously though
Let's talk about Sol more, my dick is getting erect already

Our species is homo sapiens, not robots.

>gen 2 fusion reactors
Ah, I get it now. So by near-future technology they meant technology that's always in the near future but never materializes, like fusion (ready within 50 years since 60 years).

>A 100 billion-watt laser-powered light beam would accelerate a “nanocraft” – something weighing little more than a sheet of paper and driven by a sail not much bigger than a child’s kite, fashioned from fabric only a few hundred atoms in thickness – to the three nearest stars at 60,000km a second.
Yeah, no.

thanks. Always great to learn something new

You still got a long, long way ahead of you.

We can sustain fusion reactions now. We just need to find a way to net profit energy.

Well, "sustain" is a bit optimistic. We achieve longer durations than before. We still can't fire the reactors arbitrarily long.
And "just" is downplaying the challenges of up-scaling. This is always difficult and packed with surprises.
Gen 2 is pure scifi at this point in time.

Vacuum drive when?

Would it be possible to get high res-images of the planet in the foreseeable future?
Would the telescope/camera have to be constructed in space?
How large would it have to be?
How much would it cost to construct?

>Would it be possible to get high res-images of the planet in the foreseeable future?
nope

take a moment and consider the arc width of the planet as visible from earth.

Just make a probe that flies there at 25% lightspeed. Takes almost 20 years, not that bad. Equip it with quantum communications, which are already being worked on, have it snap pics and send the data back instantly.

Ez game

What the fuck is wrong with nature. Why is everything far as fucking shit. Even we could travel at the speed of light it's still inefficient. Even the speed of light can't compete with the vastness of space. It's like we are doomed to stay in this stupid solar system. Even interstellar communication is impossible. Unless there is something way faster than light that can make interstellar communication and travel bearable then we are fucked.

Sounds feasible within our lifetime.

its effective clickbait and good money

If it's ever feasible to send a probe there it'll likely be feasible to send a probe anywhere we want. So, it's not really interesting