Post your to-read pile

Other urls found in this thread:

latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-ca-jc-great-american-novel-none-20160627-snap-story.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

JUST

going to read some parts of the bible, first time cracking it open since i became atheist.

My list has no real fiction, apart from some Goethe (Part II, long-ass piece of shit).

It's 95% philosophy, as ever it has been. I've been putting off Kant and getting high on Thus Spoke Zarathustra for a while

>imgur.jpg

Sure faggot, I believe you

what? i just had to resize the image quickly and downloaded it from imgur instead of reuploading from ps or something.

The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus
The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper
The Three Kingdoms, Volume 1: The Sacred Oath by Luo Guanzhong
Mythology by Edith Hamilton
Hunger by Knut Hamsun
Doctor Sax by Jack Kerouac
Being There by Jerzy Kosinski
Moby-Dick by Herman Melville
The Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade
The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare
The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Shikibu
I Am a Cat by Natsume Sōseki

Post cat.

ereader contents?

Blood Meridian
Dracula

Just finished The Crying of Lot 49 last night.

Great Expectations
Walden
Inferno
Iliad & Odyssey
Ulysses (prob won't read for a while)

Gravity's Rainbow (currently reading)
Lolita
Crime and Punishment
The Odyssey
Hamlet
Journey To The End of The Night
Ulysseys

I would be extremely proud of myself if I finished 5 of these by the end of the year. It may even make up for me not having sex at all.

We'll add The Myth of Sisyphus and 120 Days of Sodom. I can see myself attacking 120 Days after I've read an at least 600 page book.

Humoldts Gift
The Adventures of Augie March
Herzog

this is me giving jewish lit a chance

Don Quixote
Moby Dick
Crime and Punishment
Stoner
the First Philosophers
Complete works of Plato (kill me)

War and Peace
Aeneid
Crime and Punishment
Siddhartha
Mason & Dixon or Inherent Vice - before GR.
Gravity's Rainbow
Tao Te Ching
I also just got a few short story collection books for authors such as Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, DFW, Pynchon, Kafka and Faulkner. I love to spontaneously pick a random short story to knock out.

The Outsiders? Anyone?

you guys know the pictures you post can get backtraced right, so in 3 years when you run for congress this shit will get back at you

As long as you're not doing any kind of in-depth studying of these texts I'd be surprised if you didn't finish 5 of these by the end of the year. Myth of Sisyphus is pretty easy and only took me two days to read without any philosophical background.

May I ask your motivations for doing this? I think it's a good thing no matter what it is, but I'm curious. Also, I'd recommend the Norton Critical KJV if you can't decide on which one to get.

just started Snow White by Barthelme, might pick Lost In The Funhouse back up too later. then after those:
Nightwood
Beowulf, then Grendel by John Gardner
The Savage Detectives
Working by Studs Terkel

You should probably delete these since you can see personal info in the fridge.

>myth of sisyphus
it probably changed my life would recommend 9/10

Should I read A Brief History of Seven Killings? Is it just a meme or actually worthwhile?

A whole family of butt pirates on the right.

Cute cats though.

Does moisture get on the other side of the pane in the winter? You might want to move them somewhere else later

what if your books on that radiator melt?

same brah

me too, just started Exodus. I've been reading some Mesopotamian myths to get an idea of the literary/religious context. pic related, also on my to-read stack.

Herzog
The plague
The killers
The javeneses
The adventures of gordon pym

I just finished Mr. Mercedes last week. It was a pretty decent detective novel.

I remember you, you're the guy who posted this nice picture of the brick wall on some past shelf thread.

I second this question

Crime and Punishment
Brothers Karamazov
Being and Nothingness (kinda, if i ever feel like spending a solid year reading a book)
Existentialism is a Humanism
Either/Or
Fear and Trembling
Crying of Lot 49
Genealogy of Morals + Ecce Homo
The Ghost in the Machine

Reading your to-read book right now.

>Also, I'd recommend the Norton Critical KJV if you can't decide on which one to get.
Not that user but thanks for the advice

how is it?

>Procrastinating reading the Illiad because I know it'll take a while and I want a quicker read
>Download Don Quixote for kindle and start on it not realizing it's like 1000 pages long

It's great so far but fuck man I'm not a fast reader and it's going to take forever.

aren't you worried about UV damage?

The relationship with Trevor (black kid) is always really embarrassing. But yeah it's not horrible.

His name is Jerome, but I didn't think that was so bad. He was just a neighborhood kid that he was friends with and had do his lawn and shit. It was a fairly normal relationship.

Its basically because I want to see parts that i saw with the eyes of a theologian(i took bible study seriously, hence the 75 dollar bible in pic, with another 100 dollar one not shown) plainly. I want to read the parts that I brushed off or didnt touch, and the ones I loved with my new eyes.

Yeah I really want to get to it! So much to read..

Ill check that out...the whole connectiom between babylonian/area gods and mythology really fascinates me.

SOMEONE hasn't read Fahrenheit 451...

Just handed in my assignments and broke up for the summer.

Last long summer till I retire.

OP burn all of those books except for The Space Merchants

The introduction said it was somewhat outdated and at times misleading. If you want a basic overview of ancient Mesopotamia than I guess it is good but, reading the source materials he uses will give you a clearer understanding.

You should absolutely read it. I can't say anything about that hasn't already been said. Tone-wise, it reminds me of James Ellroy's 'American Tabloid', if you've read it. James actually cited it as his reluctant pick for the Great American Novel. Whereas Ellroy focuses on pure narrative, James takes the time to flesh out three dimensional characters.Its a slower burn.

latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-ca-jc-great-american-novel-none-20160627-snap-story.html

I sincerely hope that Seven Killings is inducted into the canon of great crime fiction, but even then, that's too narrow a label for it.

what is that book on the bottom?

really don't care

What about it? Its a good book but very much teen lit.

>mfw Hillary Clinton is asked if she's read her copy of asshole buddies yet

no it doesn't and the books also aren't touching the window. at least and inch of free space between them. this is all temporary until I get another shelf.

what does sun damage do to a book? fade the cover and turn the pages yellow? as long as you can read the words who cares?

>infinte jest
>thicker than the bible

Oh look, someone who actually reads and enjoys it. What are you doing here on Veeky Forums? You're supposed to have books that you think make you look smart and not actually read them.

You know what the strong point of that book is? That Brady Hartsfield character is pretty good. That's a well developed, well thought out character. The book probably wouldn't have much else going for it if it wasn't for that character. You kind of see why that guy turned out how he did, but at the same time there's no knowing exactly why he was the way that he was. You can relate to him, but at the same time he's disgusting and despicable. You feel something for him, but you don't feel bad for him. It's just kind of tragic without making you feel sympathy for the guy.

Currently reading Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.
To-read list after that, more-or-less in order:
>Bleeding Edge
>The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay
>V.
>Midnight's Children
>No Country For Old Men
>Umbrella
>Infinite Jest (I might have to read this alongside other smaller books because fucking hell is it big)
>Mason & Dixon

The Illiad is not that long because the poem only takes up half the page, it took me a month of only reading before going to sleep, and I'm not a fast reader either. You could easily pair Quixote up with that.

Looks very patrish but we can't see the titles of the books. Post a close-up.

best cats on lit senpai

10/10, better than the meme trilogy

this is some dude that saved my picture from before lol. I'll post later tonight after work.

Is The Nice Guys an adaptation? I really dug that film.

Currently 130 pages into Lobotomy

I'm almost done reading Red Dragon. It's a shame that Thomas Harris only writes Hannibal Lecter books. Red Dragon is some A+ crime fiction. Pretty well written. Would like to see what other genre fiction he had up his sleeve before the Hannibal character blew up.

Recently finished Seven Killings. While it is not groundbreaking, it's quite decent, and would recommend.

I'm in the middle of Kafka's The Castle, Nietzsche's BG&E, and Octavia Butler's Lillith's Brood trilogy (at the end really)

lined up is John Barth's Chimera, Proust's Swann's Way, Notes From the Underground, and Delany's Nova

what do you think of The Castle? I didnt really understand the hype around metamorphosis or the trial but i found the castle much more harrowing & confrontational. its a fab book

living alone for the first time this summer intend to clear through most of my backlog

Halfway though Our Lady of Darkness, surprisingly comfy.

and yet here you are on Veeky Forums

its the first thing i've read by kafka(i'm not that user). i'm also in the middle of it though. i really like it. the fact that its unfinished makes it even better thematically

>reading IJ with other books

this is exactly the trap i am in right now. makes it hard to go back to IJ when i can breeze through shorter things desu

I'll never read IJ just because so many people on Veeky Forums like it and so many people on Veeky Forums are completely retarded. It's probably terrible.

The African Trilogy.

>because so many people on Veeky Forums like it
Which Veeky Forums is this now?

>inb4 remove kebab
Frankenstein
Treasure of the emperor Radovan
Shining

Repost, already working my way through it.

which ones are you reading now?

On Day of the Locust right now. Already read Lonelyhearts, Gilgamesh, and the Gita.

You are missing nothing

but it's funny

that's what i've gotten out of it so far...hopefully at the 200 page mark it gets better like fans of it say

I just spent almost all of my money on 8 tomes of Checkhovs works. How dumb i am and what am i into?

The vignette style has the advantage that there's a lot of variety of stuff and if a section is annoying it's sure to never happen again, though on the other hand if you're waiting for traditional style plot don't hold your breath. For me its strengths are the theming, the characters, the humor, and the sad parts.

What should I read first?

nigga never read a book in his life

catcher in the rye
great expectations
inferno
iliad
odyssey
ulysses

>
I might skill CitR, but I'd great expectations pretty easy? I'm looking for something a little less dense since I have trouble reading on my commute

What Publisher is CC? I don't think I've ever seen that kind of hardcover.

i don't know what "skill" means there...
but yeah i kinda tried to put it in order of difficulty I guess. So GE is easier than Inferno and those other ones. Sorta hard because epics are hard in their own way, but you should really read the Odyssey(or at least know it) before Ulysses even if you go random with everything else.