How do you deal with professors who act intimidated or offended by you asking questions that they are unable to answer...

How do you deal with professors who act intimidated or offended by you asking questions that they are unable to answer? Besides switching to another uni.

I just ended up shutting up, and participating less in class. I'm not really okay with this.

Give examples.

ENHANCE!

>professor is intimidated/offender because I am smarter than him xddd
Congrats on being "that guy"

It's likely that your classmates are "intimidated" and "offended" as well.

You are there to learn. Shut your mouth and listen and stop thinking you know everything.

Are you asking questions that are comprehensible and relevant to the material at hand, or are you trying to look smart by asking about obscure material they haven't thought about since their own undergrad?

more.

it's bad enough trying to get people interested in science in the first place. it would be a better learning environment if the students were able to ask questions to further their passion for the knowledge. it's an ego problem if you get offended by your lack of knowledge. that is to say, the teacher is offended. not an educational problems involving the students.

I'll be requiring all my female visitors
to remove their shoes from now on.

>questions that they are unable to answer
Are these questions relevant to the coursework?
Are you playing "Stump The Professor"?
Are you skipping your Tourette medication?
Enquiring minds want to know.

>Intimidated
>Offender
Senpai, basically Money says you asked an off the wall question and went retard mode half way through so they didn't understand you or haven't seen anything related to it in like 15 years.

>MFW professor straight up shrugged and admitted that it hasn't concerned him for nearly 2 decades and told him to fuck off and consult the internet

You want to see your mother's ass?

1) don't ask them in front of everyone
2) have a pretty girl ask the questions for you. He'll do anything he can to find the answer to impress her. (Doesn't work for all professors)
Also this kind of thing happened to me in high school. My physics teacher was a freaking pseudo intellectual and he couldn't answer basic questions about the properties of bosons and fermions. Then whenever I had questions he would ignore me because I was asking about QM and electrodynamics. So I learned to have my friend ask the questions I had instead of me because he always gave more attention to the girls, but it was kind of suspicious when a cheerleader was asking about Feynman diagrams.

>asking your HS teacher about QM
he isn't qualified, why would you do that?

Already seen it many times,it's Meh at best.

Why didn't you just do your own research at that point? It seems like you made a lot of needless hoops to jump through.

i'm not playing stump the professor, that would be idiotic. i'm not an autistic spaz. i am genuinely disappointed though, but not suprised (i'm disappointed by being right)

Everyone else on this thread is so gay. Is that you girlfriend op? I want to fuck that ass.

>paying over 10k to do your own research

Just consider for a second that the majority of questions driving kids to college pertain to popsci bullshit they learned by watching shitty documentaries on the history channel and the like. They got good scores in school so were encouraged by the STEM meme, when in reality, around 50% of freshman in STEM drop out in their first semester, and closer to 75% by the end of their first year.

Now imagine these braindead retards asking braindead questions that have 0 relevance to the class, and consider whether the professor should give a shit about you, who are probably going to be gone from the department, and who literally knows nothing about the subject, so no discussion can even take place.

Professors aren't intimidated by you, they're not unable to answer (unless the question makes no sense, which is common)
They're just trying to be nice by not telling you how much of a useless piece of shit fuckhead you really are.

Yeah I feel the same way about people paying for education too. All the information is right there but you feel the need to pay someone 10k to read to you.

>implying that you go to school to learn
>implying that universities aren't just diploma machines
>implying that you have any useful ideas about a subject in which you know so little about, you need to spend 4 years+ learning it.

not even being autistic, i realise that for many people, a professorship is just a job. they don't have to be passionate about the thing they teach, and hell, teaching a bunch of freshmen who just need to pass your class for 10 years might even make you lose your passion.

that's the situation. how do you deal with it?

wow i just got TOLD
T
O
L
D

Turn brick and mortar schools digital, lectures are already available online for pretty much any undergrad course, they just need to be updated as needed. This way the professor can avoid repeating the same content over and over again every semester. They can instead devote that free time to answering questions posed by students in a public forum. This allows students to answer other people's questions if they know the answer as well to encourage interactive learning. None of this is groundbreaking but for some reason we're still told that brick and mortar schooling is better, probably in the interests of someone not directly invested in making smarter students. If the human contact is really that important then hold a daycare center where students can talk to each other or something.