Paying tens of thousands of dollars to be taught how to read

>paying tens of thousands of dollars to be taught how to read

Why do retards go to university for the humanities?

Most people know how to read by fucking preschool.

If you're talking about undergrad, two years of that is liberal arts courses anyway. It has nothing to do with what major you pick.

If you're talking about grad school, you only do it if you're paid to go.

>everyone is an American

Literally end yourself, Americentric piece of shit

Hey stop that, this is for emotionally charged hatred of certain university programs for people who have never attended university.
If you aren't going to fan the flames please leave.

I'm not an american though, but maybe you do need the extra help with reading comprehension.

>"""man""" of letters

I did it because, like many other Americans, I was told to do what I love. Little did I know that what I love had nothing to do with academia and, in fact, I was paying roughly $50k to learn to marginally read better and write better than I did before I attended uni (mostly on my own efforts, I could have easily passed with my high school writing abilities, I just got bored with the repition. Within the given field of English, the only valuable lesson passed on to me as an undergrad thus far has been that the heigth of English as a discipline is either creation (i.e., writing literature, which dept. studies cannot help me acheive) or work within the field (i.e., doing a slightly more advanced, slightly more precise version of what I'm doing now and waiting around to get enough publications to maybe get a job as an adjuct).

But hey Im three years in on a four-year scholarship and come from a low-middle class ass family so Im kinda fucked now.

Biggest regret desu is not just majoring in Comp. Sci. while devouring the classics and writing in my spare time (which I do now, just with a pesky English major course load on top of it all which I have grown to see as more detrimental to rather than helpful for my actual literary flourishing).

Tl;dr Humanities are a waste of money as far as uni is concerned. I agree with another poster elsewhere on the board that compared Humanities dept. to self-care centers for a dying cultural practice.

Not everyone's family is poor

i agree to a point
glad im an english and csci double major tho

>be an english major
>all humanities suck!!!!
ok

Yours will be soon enough if they keep wasting money on lost causes like your education.

So you weirdos think that the point of studying and analyzing dozens of works of literature is to slightly improve your reading and writing skills?

>he thinks STEM does two years of liberal arts.

Try two classes at most.

Depends what degree you're doing in the STEM field. I go to a highly-regarded (also read: liberal) school where it was mandatory for me to take 4 classes over the course of two years only accounting for English.

That seems very low. Was it a technical college? I was only speaking about American universities though. I doubt many other countries do this.

It's mandatory at my university to take at least 3. And you're free to take more if you'd like, but I'll probably just end up taking something useful.

No it was just a regular state university.

I had to take a English composition class (and even that was stem related b/c it focused on expository prose, e.g. writing engineering reports) and then I had to take a meme history class.

Strictly speaking, if you didn't take a foreign language class in high school, then you were required to do a year of that too.

I don't think that's the intended point, but when you quickly realize that the other intended points (knowledge of the canon, literary merit, valuation of art in general) A.) Have been infected by SJW relativists and B.) I can fo all this fairly easily on my own time, you realize there is no good defense of the discipline.

Academia is an ivory tower bust

The practical skills are easily acquired if you are of yhe temperament to pursue the field in the first place

It has little to no employment oppurtunities

It does not actuslly enhance your understanding of lit. I can think of mayve five lessons in the last two years that actually taught me something I didn't already known/could have easily picked up on my own.

nigga, name another humanity where this isn't the case in some other form.

If you give me the philo law degree meme I'm gonna slap your bitch ass

Yeah, it's great when English departments have major-oriented writing courses, across the disciplines. They're trying to implement that in more universities; it's a pretty big topic of discussion at the CCCC every year.

You didn't need government/political science courses as well? I had two of those, two of English, two foreign language, two history and a choice of general humanities requirement.

And then I had many other non-major-related courses I needed to take. There was zero use in me taking two math classes, two science classes, etc. So it's more than just humanities I meant--just all the irrelevant shit taking up time, which is covered by your first two years/an Associates. It's really only the second half that "matters."

Probably Political Science or Economics?

>all these non-education fuckheads

Goddamn it feels good to be guaranteed employment and those sick ass benefits and also having a classroom bookshelf full of NYRBs

If you're gonna study humanities just do it in Europe. America is shit at those subjects anyways.

You can still teach if you have a Masters, even if you didn't get a degree in Education. At least, in my state.

I don't have to explain myself to you. You'd be laughed out of any undergraduate level conversation on any topic because you can't organize thoughts with the level of comprehensiveness necessary for intelligent discourse.

i got taught how to identify an equivocation fallacy which is what your post is

Oh i know. Most states just require a bachelors in whatever subject area you're tackling

But instead of dealing with all these classes on how do read gud, i get to learn pedagogy and the like