Http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=36248

>An international team of researchers has announced the detection of “a strong signal in the direction of HD164595

>Working out the strength of the signal, the researchers say that if it came from an isotropic beacon, it would be of a power possible only for a Kardashev Type II civilization. If it were a narrow beam signal focused on our Solar System, it would be of a power available to a Kardashev Type I civilization.

Other urls found in this thread:

nothing-dreams.org/?p=36248
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nothing-dreams.org/?p=36248

An international team of people who need grants has announced the detection of nothing in the direction of HD164595

By fudging numbers and falsifying the strength of the nothing, the researchers say that it would be possible for such a nothing to be coming from a Kardashev Type II civilization. As this sounds too far-fetched, they added the more reasonable possibility of this nothing coming from a Kardashev Type I civilization.

The team also makes an appeal to the general public to "not let us strave [sic] we need help please".

You could have just said it's very unlikely that this is actually an alien signal

thanks for your valuable input

You could have not shitposted this thread.

In order to debunk something you think is nonsense, you first need to actually understand a topic. Suggest going back to square one on this concept.

But regardless, followup observation will be interesting. I'm sure nobody is going to formally wait for the IAC meeting before they start.

There's two possibilites:

1) You're under 18 and still believe the obvious grant-seekers, so you shouldn't be on here

2) You're over 18 and have a mental disability that makes you still believe the obvious grant-seekers, so your handler shouldn't allow you on here

Regardless of which it is, you shouldn't be here.

You sound like climate-change deniers.

There's evidence towards climate-change

There's falsifications, exaggerations and bullshit towards aliens existing or communicating with us

>there's evidence towards this

>but all the evidence towards that is bullshit because i say so, despite what scientists say

yup, that's a climate-change denier, you made up your mind beforehand: aliens do not exist and cannot be detected period

You literally do not understand how science works. I'm not using hyperbole for effect. Please cease commenting on Veeky Forums permanently.

Do you think being ultra cynical makes you a smart person? I think it's important that we recognize the existence perverse incentives in research which warrant skepticism, but so far you've come in this thread and paraded your opinion as immutable fact and insulted me when I didn't bow down to your blind skepticism.

Relax. This is a place for discussion, you can't just come in to a thread and demand to be the last word. We'll continue to discuss it whether you like it or not.

That is not enough information to get hyped.

4channers think that a star being partially occluded is 100% PROOF of a Dyson sphere. There is always enough information for these degenerates.

Is there a way to see the full data?
The spectrum would be extremely intresting.

please leave

>we have detected a signal that may imply alien life + advanced civilizations
>"that sounds incredibly improbable. are you sure they arent just trying to drum up attention for their research?"
>WOW JUST LEAVE THIS BOARD YOU ARE SO FUCKING RETARDED

Veeky Forums everyone.

Saying something is improbable is not the same as claiming people fabricated the data without a shred of evidence to say so. Again, fuck off.

oh come on man, this guy sounds more reasonable than half of this board

emdrive is real guyse. we gonna go there

No he doesn't, he's every bit as retarded and arrogant as the worst on here. Yes this article and most SETI stuff are pure hype but accusing people of academic fraud is not something you do until you have reproduced their analysis and eliminated all possibilities. It is extremely serious. Saying the article is bullshit is fine, calling the researchers liars is not when zero reasoning goes has been given.

Alien civilizations are not improbable, dumbass

Alien civilizations that put a huge amount of energy into sending out a blip that benefits nobody and will only be noticed by a few mentally ill internet addicts are improbable.

>mentally ill internet addicts
WHOA, easy there boiii

Maybe they were just testing their newest radar and we caught some of it?

X band frequencies are used for that every day.