General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/raw/HLbht5k2
malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Memories_of_Ice#Dramatis_Personae_.28as_found_in_books.29
textuploader
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does Erikson actually think he's a good poet?

Why the hell not...
I posted before and it seemed you guys (as well as the critique thread) generally have a good opinion on my writing so I'll keep posting stuff as long as I write SFF
It's not like it costs me anything and maybe some of you will enjoy.
Here, have some comfy pics from where I live too.

pastebin.com/raw/HLbht5k2

Promising. It reminds me of le guins writing although I couldn't point out why.

The idea is that there's a MMORPG that's taken over the world and before the creator died he left a treasure hunt for all the players in order to choose a successor, which isn't a terrible idea on it's own, but the entire treasure hunt turns out to be a string of big-bang-theoryesque pop culture references. So yeah it's absolutely serious.

And apparently this shit is getting made into a film by Spielberg, scored by John Williams. Unreal.

>but the entire treasure hunt turns out to be a string of big-bang-theoryesque pop culture references
I just vomited out of my ass.

Feels a little overwrought to me. You could get the same effect with fewer strained sentences, and it would be easier to read. The subject matter seems good though.

It literally ends with the main characters and the bag guys fighting it out in a bunch of giant mechs from various anime. The main villain pilots mecha-godzilla.

Gross.

I know it must feel needlessly elaborate and I hope it doesn't turn too many people away from reading it for this reason alone. I strive to at least have proper grammar even though english is not my native language, so please bear with me user.

>I know it must feel needlessly elaborate and I hope it doesn't turn too many people away from reading
If you know, then fix it. Why are you playing some kind of victim as if it's out of your control?

There's nothing to fix because it's exactly the way I want to write this short story. I also think, and that's just my own opinion, that the story has a bit of poetic value and once finished it will have a very mythic feeling to it.

Do I be?
Do I not be?
Is that the question?

>Non romance language
>poetry

Made me giggle

>there's nothing to fix

Wrong mindset for a writer imo

There's always something to fix.

Followers of the No-God have no such worries.

Uncucc yourself and join us.

I must be missing out, as I've never read any Romance poetry, although my Italian friend brags about how good it is. Post some of your favourites.

Any good fantasy with a little girl as protag?
Doesn't have to be epic, something like a coming of age story with fantastical elements.

>that the story has a bit of poetic value and once finished it will have a very mythic feeling to it.
Yeah I got that, but you need to find a balance between mythic and incomprehensible, as it stands now it's needlessly complex with the strangely placed adverbs.
I'd aim more for the tone that Steinbeck uses in Grapes of Wrath were he describes the Okie migration to Cali, it's still mythic, but much more digestible.

mistborn?

Reposting question

Luis Vaz de Camões.

This nigger wrote a 10 part full historic epic fantasy in rhyming poetry.
He made sure that it was written in the decasyllabic ottava rima, which has the rhyme scheme ABABABCC.

But there's no point reading it if you don't know Portuguese.

I agree user and I immediately regretted what u said upon posting the comment.

I will definitely check it out and try to improve in the next stanzas. Hopefully the prose will be less incomprehensible yet still retain the atmosphere that I'm looking for. It's really hard because I'm no native english speaker, but I'll improve.

Have more comfy pics as a token of thanks

Hood's breath man how long have you been asking this

I got you famili. Less than 2 hours reads.

Hi cosmerefag, where's your map?

>bridge between all meme
What are you talking about?

first mistborn trilogy

If you read ender's game and metro 2033, you would see both have similar endings desu.

Surgebinding is boring :( Why does his biggest series have his least interesting magic system.

I'm halfway through WoR and still didn't understand that fucking diagram you post in every /sff/

3 threads ago he said he was reading mistborn, so something else. Although I believe he is a troll that is trying to piss ppl off by spamming the same shit every thread.

Isn't it from mistborn?

No

nigga that's just your pog collection

Sanderson is anime

Anyone else listen to audiobooks of the novel's they are reading when trying to fall asleep?

There's a freshness to your writing that I don't often see. The prose is kinda dense I agree but not bad desu, and there's interesting philosophy and ideas in there. I can see some influences and it overall has a solid mythopoeic aspect to it, kinda like Silmarillion but without the whole creation of the universe and battle between gods mumbo jumbo
Just curious, do you post your stuff on other sites or do you want to get published? or you just write for fun?

Do I know why Hood came to visit in person?
Do I understand what is going on in Kabustan?
Do I understand what the persons inside Silverfox want?
Do I know why Baron's stomach keeps hurting?
Do I want to know?

>spoilers all context
>doesn't mention name of book

It's not super important yet, and surgebinding is more simple than it appears. It's literally just this

You get two powers out of 10 powers.

Example:

Szeth gets gravity + adhesion (= windrunning). So he can mess around with "sticking to things" and gravity. Simple.

Shallan gets transformation + illumination. Changing things + light = changing light. Illusions. Lightweaver.

That's how it works. It's not like Mistborn where there's ~16 metals, three magic systems, and combining them in different creative ways can lead to all sorts of interesting things. It's not scientific. It's more simple and just anime-like powers.

I like a lot about Stormlight but the magic isn't super creative.

Does mistborn get more magic details after the first book

I liked that it was basically just magnetism in book 1

It does. The second book is shit though.

It definitely does, yeah, but never in a infodump-y or level up-y way, it's actually pretty naturally and deftly done. You can tell Brandon had finished the third book before the first book was published, because everything connects really well.

The third book has the most interesting magic system IMO, one that isn't discussed openly in the first two books.

The sequel trilogy is also a lot of fun with the magic adapted to a wild west future.

I disagree but I understand the common complaints around book 2. Other user, may as well try it out, you might be one of the people like me who really liked it.

Any reccomendations for magic/steam punkish science? (Think like Millenniums Rule)

Iron Dragons Daughter
Orphans of Chaos

Mistborn is dull and edgy as fuck. Second Book specially.
KelsierDead ruined it for me

Zane is the most retarded character I've ever seen. It's anime tier. Literally Sasuke in real life.

The western Mistborn books (Alloy of law, Shadows of Self, Bands of Mourning) have a fair dose of that.

agree to disagree user :)

Engineer Trilogy

ah, I should've said I've also covered the mistborn stuff, sorry.

I'll take a look.

Malazan

>KelsierDead ruined it for me

Hmm you really should have kept reading

I hate grinding and Zane was the last drop.

I'd always been of the opinion that fantasy was complete garbage even though I'm too dumb to know what separates good literature from genre trash. While I can't quite put my finger on it due to being a complete moron, Wolfe's The Wizard Knight has made me see how wrong I was.

This audiobook must be narrated by someone with Down's if you think Capustan is spelled "Kabustan" and Paran is spelled "Baron".

thanks for sharing

I legit don't understand your beef with him, and I haven't watched any anime so your comparisons there don't illuminate anything to me. His mental issues are explained pretty well in the trilogy, and he's a good external representation of a side of herself Vin was wrestling with.

>I legit don't understand your beef

Read quality books. You'll eventually find out.

Ha. I give multiple reasons backing up my point of view. Rather than engage with any of them, you just lazily shitpost back. Says a lot about the "quality" of your argument.

I'm Russian so it's very hard to tell the difference when you don't see the writing, even though I speak fluently, it's not hard for just words but names are a different matter

Why can't normies grasp the absolute?

Also, 60 posts and no Bakker? I am dissapointed in you Veeky Forums

You could look at the Dramatis Personae here

malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Memories_of_Ice#Dramatis_Personae_.28as_found_in_books.29

But obviously don't look at the plot summary.

Bakker is a meme writer

Not him, but you're literally retarded.

Oh great, the Amerifats are awake.

>Also, 60 posts and no Bakker?

I wish it would have stayed Bakkerless.

I am sure you didn't read the books, pleb

Eastern Europe. Probably the only on in this city that is a bakker fan. I have grasped the absolute

>I am sure you didn't read the books, pleb

And I thank myself every time I see a bakker poster that I didn't.

Because they aren't hegelians you absolute fucking plebiean?

why? you don't like amazing books?

I am become Bakkerfag, destroyed of threads

Can't even spell destroyer? Proof that Bakker is the best writer the west has ever seen

I got this from /r/fantasy ( inb4 OMG reddit). It's prologue of the series,read it, it takes a few minutes textuploader ( ) com/5i3zc

If you are not at least intrigued than you have shit taste

what does that even mean? What is the relationship between bakker and Hegel ? ( Bonus points for a real non-meme answer)

Reported you for scam/virus link.

Honestly, Bakker, Wolfe, Erikson and a few others are the few books worth discussing....and the few books you actually have something to discuss.

I mean, compared to Sanderson or any other "mainstream" writer, the ideas discussed are much more complicated...

>the ideas discussed are much more complicated...

Nobody discusses Malazan except for the low IQ guy constantly asking stupid questions in his meme way

Bakker is constantly shilled here by a few die hard autists and bringing up Wolfe instantly summons the dino and anti-dino autists

you are retarded mang, it's a text uploading website. Here, I will upload it here with shittier formatting, just for you.

(Part 1/2)

PROLOGUE
The Wastes of Kuniüri
It is only after that we understand what has come before, then we
understand nothing. Thus we shall define the soul as follows: that which precedes
everything.
—AJENCIS, THE THIRD ANALYTIC OF MEN

Year-of-the-Tusk, the Mountains of Demua

One cannot raise walls against what has been forgotten.
The citadel of Ishual succumbed during the height of the Apocalypse. But no
army of inhuman Sranc had scaled its ramparts. No furnace-hearted dragon had
pulled down its mighty gates. Ishual was the secret refuge of the Kuniüric High
Kings, and no one, not even the No-God, could besiege a secret.
Months earlier, Anasurimbor Ganrelka II, High King of Kuniüri, had fled to
Ishual with the remnants of his household. From the walls, his sentries stared
pensively across the dark forests below, their thoughts stricken by memories of
burning cities and wailing multitudes. When the wind moaned, they gripped Ishual’s
uncaring stone, reminded of Sranc horns. They traded breathless reassurances. Had
they not eluded their pursuers? Were not the walls of Ishual strong? Where else
might a man survive the end of the world?
The plague claimed the High King first, as was perhaps fitting: Ganrelka had
only wept at Ishual, raged the way only an Emperor of nothing could rage. The
following night the members of his household carried his bier down into the forests.
They glimpsed the eyes of wolves reflected in the light of his pyre. They sang no
dirges, intoned only a few numb prayers.
Before the morning winds could sweep his ashes skyward, the plague had
struck two others: Ganrelka’s concubine and her daughter. As though pursuing his
bloodline to its thinnest tincture, it assailed more and more members of his
household. The sentries upon the walls became fewer, and though they still watched
the mountainous horizon, they saw little. The cries of the dying crowded their
thoughts with too much horror.
Soon even the sentries were no more. The five Knights of Tryse who’d
rescued Ganrelka after the catastrophe on the Fields of Eleneot lay motionless in
their beds. The Grand Vizier, his golden robes stained bloody by his bowel, lay
sprawled across his sorcerous texts. Ganrelka’s uncle, who’d led the heartbreaking
assault on Golgotterath’s gates in the early days of the Apocalypse, hung from a
rope in his chambers, slowly twisting in a draft. The Queen stared endlessly across
festering sheets.
Of all those who had fled to Ishual, only Ganrelka’s bastard son and the
Bardic Priest survived.
Terrified by the Bard’s strange manner and one white eye, the young boy hid,
venturing out only when his hunger became unbearable. The old Bard continually
searched for him, singing ancient songs of love and battle, but slurring the words in
blasphemous ways.

There is none and the bakkerfags are too uneducated to notice.

(Part 2/2)
“Why won’t you show yourself, child?” he would cry as he
reeled through the galleries. “Let me sing to you. Woo you with secret songs. Let me
share the glory of what once was!”
One night the Bard caught the boy. He caressed first his cheek and then his
thigh. “Forgive me,” he muttered over and over, but tears fell only from his blind
eye. “There are no crimes,” he mumbled afterward, “when no one is left alive.”
But the boy lived. Five nights later, he lured the Bardic Priest onto Ishual’s
towering walls. When the man shambled by in a drunken stupor, he pushed him from
the heights. He crouched for a long while at the fall’s edge, staring down through the
gloom at the Bard’s broken corpse. It differed from the others, he decided, only in
that it was still wet. Was it murder when no one was left alive?
Winter added its cold to the emptiness of Ishual. Propped on the battlements,
the child would listen to the wolves sing and feud through the dark forests. He would
pull his arms from his sleeves and hug his body against the chill, murmuring his dead
mother’s songs and savoring the wind’s bite on his cheek. He would fly through the
courtyards, answering the wolves with Kuniüric war cries, brandishing weapons that
staggered him with their weight. And once in a while, his eyes wide with hope and
superstitious dread, he would poke the dead with his father’s sword.
When the snows broke, shouts brought him to Ishual’s forward gate. Peering
through dark embrasures, he saw a group of cadaverous men and women—refugees
of the Apocalypse. Glimpsing his shadow, they cried out for food, shelter, anything,
but the boy was too terrified to reply. Hardship had made them look
fearsome—feral, like a wolf people.
When they began scaling the walls, he fled to the galleries. Like the Bardic
Priest, they searched for him, calling out guarantees of his safety. Eventually, one of
them found him cringing behind a barrel of sardines. With a voice neither tender nor
harsh, he said: “We are Dünyain, child. What reason could you have to fear us?”
But the boy clutched his father’s sword, crying, “So long as men live, there
are crimes!”
The man’s eyes filled with wonder. “No, child,” he said. “Only so long as
men are deceived.”
For a moment, the young Anasurimbor could only stare at him. Then
solemnly, he set aside his father’s sword and took the stranger’s hand. “I was a
prince,” he mumbled.
The stranger brought him to the others, and together they celebrated their
strange fortune. They cried out—not to the Gods they had repudiated but to one
another—that here was evident a great correspondence of cause. Here awareness
most holy could be tended. In Ishual, they had found shelter against the end of the
world.

Part 3/2 because I suck at math

Still emaciated but wearing the furs of kings, the Dünyain chiseled the
sorcerous runes from the walls and burned the Grand Vizier’s books. The jewels,
the chalcedony, the silk and cloth-of-gold, they buried with the corpses of a dynasty.
And the world forgot them for two thousand years.

Now after reading this, can you honestly not be curios ? Can you not see the greatness that is Bakker ?

>Now after reading this, can you honestly not be curios ? Can you not see the greatness that is Bakker ?

It reads like a LOTR rip off like Shannara

It's unoriginal drivel

Not him, but your intelligence is figurative.

Are you that mad you have a shit taste?

>Liking Twilight tier characters

Ok

I literally found this on Reddit.

Just started with the whole series and I thought the Kelsier bump would be the hardest thing to get over. Now I'm reading WOA and Zane! Finally another mistborn whos skills are up to par with Vin's for the moment, not to mention he seemed a lot like Kel. Zane had such confidence and skill and he promised something much more exciting and real for Vin than I feel Elend(cant stand him) ever could. But now he's gone... I've never felt more saddened by the death of a character in the book, it feels even worse than when Kelsier left. Right now I'm honestly on the verge of just stopping, so can someone please promise me that Sanderson will stop killing off the cool mistborns. Please. Cool Mistborn kill counter: 2

>>>/reddit/

I can see shit prose for one thing.

Still better than Sanderson and GRRM

Why would this make me angry?
I have yet to read that series, so I do not know whether such characters are enjoyable.
Why are you on Reddit? This board satisfies my meager needs.

State of that prose

And the fucking names for everything

>Soon even the sentries were no more. The five Knights of Tryse who’d
rescued Ganrelka after the catastrophe on the Fields of Eleneot lay motionless in
their beds. The Grand Vizier, his golden robes stained bloody by his bowel, lay
sprawled across his sorcerous texts. Ganrelka’s uncle, who’d led the heartbreaking
assault on Golgotterath’s gates in the early days of the Apocalypse, hung from a
rope in his chambers, slowly twisting in a draft. The Queen stared endlessly across
festering sheets.

This line means literally nothing because of the nonsense words

If I wanted to read reddit I would go to Veeky Forums or /sffg/

It's incredibly awful.
It's a banal sentence where he replaces ordinary words with nonsense.

Thanks!
I was certainly influenced by the Silmarillion though in my later parts the story is thick with buddhist themes.
Yes, I post on tumblr and DA but I don't want to promote myself on 4chums too much due to the attitude.
I'll probably post the other parts in sffg threads as they get from finished.

>I thought she was speaking to me but her eyes were focused over my shoulder and I turned to see Brasti halfway out of the door. ‘I’m going to find something to eat,’ he said. ‘I’ll be back in an hour or two. Maybe by then Falcio will be done letting you cuckold him.’
>‘I don’t think cuckold means what you think it does,’ Kest said.
is Greatcoats Veeky Forums approved?

What are Bakker's politics?

I don't read leftist writers.

Of course it's nothing because the author abuses namedropping to create an illusion of depth and history within his fictional world.
I never read it but I sure hope it's not an actual excerpt from an actual published book that has an actual fanbase.

Don't be a retard. Overt preaching is bad whether it's Goodkind or Erikson, but otherwise, good authors are good authors. I plan to read Le Guin soon, even though I disagree with her politics.

How do I write well