Stewart Cuckulus

My Calc class uses Stewart. Should continue using apostol and just use stewart to do the problem sets or should I just switch over to stewart?

Use whatever it is that your professor happens to be using, and concentrate on getting the best grade possible, right now. Stewart is perfectly fine for a first jog through calculus, the hate that it gets here is partly a meme, and partly because it is not as autistically rigorous as the others.

By all means feel free to enrich yourself later using some other texts which have superior motivation and exposition (good on you for wanting to do this), but quite frankly you're going to be running through other topics, all the way up until graduation. Now is not the time for memes, or to ditch Stewart just because "hurr Veeky Forums does not like that book". Now is the time for you to get off on the right foot with what I assume is a very early point in your college career, and that means not asking Veeky Forums for fucking life advice, and not taking this post seriously unless you think about it and decide for yourself that it has been a sensible piece of advice, which you should never expect from Veeky Forums to begin with, but if it crops up once in a great while, fine. For right now, concentrate on the tedium, and tick the boxes like the nice teacher wants. that means: use whatever book it is that the professor is using, so that you will literally be on the same page. Now is not the time for you to get cute and try something different. Now is the time for you to just tick the boxes. That means: acquire same text that professor is using, and make sure you can perform in relevant class.

+1

>Use whatever it is that your professor happens to be using, and concentrate on getting the best grade possible, right now.

So much this.

Ty guys. I think I'll go through Apostol during winter break.

spivak
>philosophy major
all that to say nothing

1) I said a number of things, and in just the right proportion since the OP sounds like a kid with an earnest question. If you can't parse paragraphs or read words then that's on you, not me.

2) I MINORED in philosophy, and majored in math, so your thing is unwarranted. :^)

Strong post.

Not OP, but when is time to do something different than ticking boxes?

I'd continue using them both, butt you must use Stewart because of homework and in class review exercises maybe

>2) I MINORED in philosophy, and majored in math, so your thing is unwarranted. :^)

Dis nig kno wat he doin.

I think math with physics or CS is god tier. Philosophy should be read on your own, at least in my opinion. But I just read stoicism.

Not him but I'd say to use another text once you have spare time (like in the summer or some shit) and study the things you haven't touched over yet and look at the possibly missed rigor. When it comes to calc, you may as well just jump into analysis.

ENHANCE!

I wrote the FPBP. I'd say that if OP gits gud and knows what he's capable of after the first two years, then he can branch out and try getting cute/trying his own approaches to things in the back half of undergrad.

What about problem sets? How much Spivak's set superior to Stewart's one?

A philosophy minor is literally just a handful of logic courses and that's it. Not the "you cant no nuffin" crap.

>Introduction to Philosophy
>Symbolic Logic
>Introduction to Ethical Theories
>Ancient Philosophy
>17th & 18th Century Philosophy
u wot m8?

It depends entirely on the college, user. Still, I find your assertion to be generally bogus.

I am the philosophy minor and in my case, the meme-distinction entailed about 5 different courses. A very large chunk of what we did was the "u can't know nuffin" stuff. I actually never took a logic course as-such, but I had discrete math freshman year, and a foundations course sophomore year which collectively do much the same thing and of course a lot more.

There was a 101 general course (some light Plato, Descartes, Locke, Hume and a reader, getting comfy with jargon, oh hey guys there's a divide between empiricism and rationalism),

a "modern" course (drilling in on rationalists vs empiricists with more of the same of above, concluding briefly with Kant's prolegomena, guy's interest was philosophy of science so this one was interesting),

a political philosophy course (this one was god-awful by the simple fact that the students sucked and wouldn't fucking talk. I and a few others carried the discussions, while the rest were unusually dim normies. Most of the classes that I was actually in during college were fine but this was one of the worse ones)

a squishy course about development and colonialism,

and later, a good j-term about historical conceptions of nature. Discussion in this one was lively, pretty good. There was one always-sharply dressed christian conservative guy in that class who successfully and happily trolled the room on multiple occasions, to my quiet amusement).

Basically the exact form need not be 1-1 but a philosophy minor is going to look something like this :

101 intro/survey course
Logic
Ethics
Greeks
modern

Or a variant might be something like

101 intro
Logic
Historical idea-topic #1
Historical idea-topic #2
20th century philosophy (as opposed to "moderns").

My personal experience was not exactly either one of these, but yet a third option which looks much the same. The point is that there's a lot of squishy u cant no nuffin to be done in five, size or even four/three courses, which is what a minor is usually going to look like. Of course, people only do minors out of personal interest, in parallel with whatever the major is.

>Mathematics with a minor in physics
100k starting doing applied research for engineering companies or maybe even a university.

>Mathematics with a minor in computer science
Welcome to google, 200k starting.

>Mathematics with a minor in statistics
100k starting at a research lab, hospital, insurance company, etc.

>Mathematics with a minor in English Literature
100k starting as the editor of a science magazine.

>Mathematics with a minor in philosophy
Just... don't forget to ask if they also want fries with their order.

>money vindicates what I do
>I am impressed by six figures

I didn't make the universe, or the present economic situation. I didn't make it be so that the things that are actually not boring, actually interesting to think about in life tend against lucrative employment opportunities.

Thank God someone can cease posting like some hipster for those who truly need the advice like OP

>welcome to google
quit spreading misinformation. my friend applied and got a job at google. He was a math/physics double major who had been coding like an autist since he was 14. He had already worked for multiple companies, national labs, and was making ~$90k a year out of high school.

and they STILL werent sure about hiring his because he didnt have a formal CS degree. this was a legitimate concern for them.

also, there was like 10000 applicants for that position or some shit.
>just major in math and get money lol :^)

I'm not that guy. Quite the opposite I'm the one that he had been bickering with. But it still looks dumb for you to say "nuh uh because this one anecdote, my friend this one time." It's both talking about yourself, a common thing that happens in comment threads where people get off-track, and an anecdote. It undermines you, makes you look dumb, when you do it at the wrong times. A personal story can be a nice "button" to put on the end of an argument or a rebuttal, but it shouldn't comprise its body, especially if what's being discussed is evidence based stuff.