Other urls found in this thread:

collegehumor.com/post/6991630/funny-puns-textbooks-picture-gallery
marine.rutgers.edu/pubsclassics/private/penguins-1.pdfwww
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>physics

I've had a few, none saved though. Some I've collected from others:

my students love these

Where's the joke

It seems like textbooks jokes are found in 45% math books, 44% physics books, 10% comp sci, 1% other

whoops, forgot the pic. A lot of these aren't that funny, just examples of some levity in textbook writing.

That isn't even a joke. That is just a comment. Yeah, models sometimes do nude performances.

I mean, what is even the joke?

This please. God damn physicists are absolute autists

>XD luk at tis jok me friends it implis NUDITY xDDDDD

yeah I hate when they try to be hip like that and then the rest of the text is nonsense

This must be a physics textbook

most of these haven't been proven yet

I think this is from a novel, not a textbook but fuck it

The fuck is your problem? Learn to take a joke autist.

A series of unfortunate events?

Again, probably not a book but in the same vein

But what joke? What is the joke?

Can you deconstruct it? Tell me what is the setup and what is the punchline? Can you then explain why the setup is succesful and punchline funny?

This is really autistic shit man.

>Implied nudity in a normal context is funny LOLOLOL

Please, first graders are supposed to go on /b/

The author didn't have to mention nude models but he did which is funny. Go away.

but it's just a offhand chuckle worthy joke? Damn it's not hard to see the humor

>didn't have to mention nude models but he did which is funny

>mentioning nude models is now comedy

Hmm...

Fuck you have an absolute childish sense of humor holy shit what the fuck. If you are actually over 18, and I know you are not, then please consider suicide. Your brain has been frozen in the state of an 8 year old.

There's a good one I can't find where it gives the definition of the natural numbers and says they start with 0,1,2,3... (ask your instructor for a complete list).

Also the trees one that gets posted around here a bit

Either obvious troll or a very, very sad man

Kys my dude

>author needs to resort to corny/stale jokes to keep people interested
baller as fuck

The joke's a little autistic but holy shit your insistence it be diagrammed out is Sonichu level.

In my experience they're mostly useful at calming the nerves of more hesitant students. Especially effective for late highschool/early college when you're trying to get students out of the "I am a student, I am to receive and recite the wisdom of my educators" mindset

Hey, 8 year olds, take a look at actual comedy:

Now that's a fucking joke. It is a serious book and it is already into the topic, not introducing it, meaning that in the context of the reader (audience) everything being read should be serious but then the author subverts the reader's expectations by introducing a ridiculous situation in a serious context (as it is still talking about a scientist doing work related with the material) that makes for an actual good laugh.

OP, at least people who are over 18 can use your absolute shit thread to share the real good shit.

>The joke's a little autistic

A little? Bitch, this autism is beyond this dimension.

The last thing I expected to see when I clicked 'Science & Math' was to see someone laughing at implied nudity.

Most of the ones I'm posting are from journals or late undergrad/graduate books; it seems to be the most where you get the kind of casual humor (instead of HEY HERE IS A JOKE style stuff).

A lot of it is probably that these weren't contracted out textbooks, the authors wrote them and then shopped out the manuscript.

You can find awful jokes at collegehumor.com/post/6991630/funny-puns-textbooks-picture-gallery but I didn't bother to download them when they came up because I hate most of the humor there. Again, it's the casual dryness that I think is desirable.

Certainly you're shitty jokes about age aren't providing a good example

I don't understand how this got you so riled up, makes me wonder how you act in real life.

Again, not a textbook etc etc

>you're shitty jokes

Oh I'm not playing. There's no playing around here. You are not fucking 18. You are not even 15. We all know it. No one laughs at implied nudity man.

There's a few involving mammals i had a good chuckle at

>collegehumor

I had a professor who was crazy about this author just because of how light so much of his writing is

Like I said, shitty site that I didn't pull anything off of. Trying to dig these up I came across it again though. I was offering it as an example of "bad" textbook humor, unsurprisingly it's on a bad humor site.

I had to remove this one after a student killed themself one year unfortunately.

>I had to remove this one after a student killed themself one year unfortunately.

What the fuck? Is this Veeky Forums story time now?

Tell
Tell
Tell

Creepy breeki

LMAO

There's not a lot to say. A student committed suicide and it seemed too touch to have a joke about suicide. I think the fallout would have just been being told to be more careful in the future but it wasn't a big deal to take it out anyway. I use enough "seriously, watch what you say" credits each year to want to keep them when I can.

Holy shit yes

What a fag

I collect them too

the price tag.

>even more funny when your professor is credited as one of the major contributors to making the book.

Knuth's concrete mathematics did a sort of actually fun thing where they included the notes students left in the margins of the draft textbooks, some helpful and some funny.

>prof writes his own book
>sells it for $200
>releases new edition
>it only has fixed typos

XD SO RANDOM

To each their own but man I hate that kind of humor in textbooks. Being a little silly can be nice, so many instructors go way overboard and it just ends up falling flat.

Hehehe! XD

>tfw I have that same textbook

haw haw haw

my classical mechanics textbook features:
>"50 original phisics limericks to lighten things up"
for instance
>"your units are wrong!" cried the teacher
>"your chuch weighs six joules - what a feature!
> and the people inside
> are four hours wide
> and eight gauss away from the precher!"

or:
>As he walked past thate beautiful belle,
>The attraction was easy to tell.
>But despite his persistence,
>He was kept at a distance
>By that darn conservation of L!

I'm starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel. I can't find the album I had of my really good ones. Ah well

Believe what you wish I suppose.

But it takes maturity to lighten up and laugh at a silly joke.

who is that?

wtf man

>tfw your QM professor has 2 girls 1 cup bookmarked on his laptop
>tfw he's trying to renormalize the exchange interaction

Ah, the joys of Pearson University Physics. Did you get us or international?

I'll say this, of the major textbooks companies I've had to deal with Pearson is the only one that didn't try to fuck me out the gate. Wiley was the coolest in the long term but they have to realize you're not bluffing about your finances and your students' finances first.

I think there's a paper that goes with this one

kekd

> forgot to post link
marine.rutgers.edu/pubsclassics/private/penguins-1.pdfwww

whoops. drop those w's

I can't find it right now but I remember reading a paper describing some experiments assessing the metal ion binding activity of bacillus subtilis cells that used a silica column, and the researchers for some reason decided to flush their column with meat broth or something like it. their output variable (ratio of cfu out to cfu in) jumped up to something outrageous like 18 or something and you could sense a dry, mounting horror as the paper described this

>degenerate nerd humor

None of this shit is even remotely funny. Fuck off.

Please go back to your containment board.

There's absolutely nothing funny about this, now please post the solution.