Trigger warnings are legitimate

I'm usually not a Veeky Forums ranter, but I just feel the need to say that it frustrates me to no end that people who know nothing about psychology or how brains function are bashing trigger warnings all over the Internet. Most of these people are academics and educators, which is even more frustrating to me because, from a pedagogical standpoint, refusing to acknowledge a legitimate disability is absolutely shameful. As a highly successful student who graduated from her undergraduate institution suma cum laude and lives with active PTSD, I'm disgusted by the way people callously refer to trigger warnings as "coddling" and a means to allow students to dominate classroom discussion and keep all critical thinking out of the learning environment. For those of you who don't know, "triggers" are not simply "concepts which make us feel a tad uncomfortable." Triggers are controversial and damaging experiences and topics which cause trauma victims to relive their trauma, viciously and without warning, in such a way that it is impossible for the individual to control. As a victim and survivor of numerous traumatic experiences, I can say that trigger warnings in an academic setting have NOT acted as a means for me to avoid controversial material, but rather as a way for me to IMPROVE my ability to handle said material. Trigger warnings alert me to put my coping skills in place so that, when I enter into a controversial discussion, I am prepared for what I'm about to hear and ready should I actually end up facing an uncontrollable emotional response.

(1/2)

Mental illness is an ILLNESS just like anything physical; it is NOT under the control of the individual suffering from it, and it requires diligence and sometimes even lesson modification to keep things in check. If what matters to you as an educator really is fostering intellectual and expansive class discussions, perhaps you ought to try advocating for the needs of struggling students and creating a learning environment which encourages ALL students to participate. I will forever be an advocate for students like me who just want to have the same chance for a good education as everyone else, but who have been discriminated against by ableist institutions and mindsets. My success at my undergraduate institution is a testament to what compassionate and dedicated professors can achieve and help others to achieve when they recognize the existence and legitimacy of mental illnesses like mine.

(2/2)

>psychology
choose one

OUT OUT OUT

Nobody cares about your mental ill was faggot, you're not special because of it. You're just a loser

TL;DR:
>OP is triggered by people saying they are triggered
>OP is a meme pseudoscience major
>OP is trying to get attention by getting made at people who do the same thing
Nigga, 90% of Veeky Forums has mental disorders you are not special, subhuman chimp trash

>>>/tumblr/
pls go

Did a situation where you completely lost control of your body because of being reminded about the trauma happen? Dont take it the wrong way, i just want to hear a story from the source

This is the most disgusting single post I have ever seen on this board

It just needed to be said. Ignorant idiots feel like they can advertise their opinions all over the Internet; it's about time someone heard our voices as well.

>Ignorant idiots
>It just needed to be said
>OP is a fat blue-haired cunt that heard about Veeky Forums on Tumblr
I have no words.

It's obviously a /pol/tard false flagging

>stupid sub-human degenerate cunt
>thicks psychology is science
>came into a civilized board about science to say how triggered she is
>thinks she is smart and can give lessons to actual scientists on this fucking board

If anything, triggers are signs you have personal issues not dealt with. You know who's got real "trigger" trauma issues? People who've witnessed the gruesome and sudden death of an important part of their life.

I have a friend who can't even thunderstorm. Why? Because he suffered too much shit in Afghanistan. He's killed the family dog every single time he's been home during a thunderstorm. He doesn't remember who his kid is and he's afraid one of these times when his kid is old enough to be "a threat" he just going to outright destroy his life.

(As for why the dog, because I know someone will ask why, dogs gave away too much and are extremely common wild animals over there, so you'd generally mercifully quick just kill the wild thing.)

You haven't offered a dissenting opinion or any alternative suggestions, so I'll just assume you agree with the contents of my post.

I find triggers whole heartedly silly. You know what the original legitimate trigger warning is? "Warning: May cause epilepsy"

I can't imagine putting disclaimers on things because of mild to severe emotional discomfort.

For example, there was a university who mandated jazz hands replace clapping. Not because of a specific guest who might go into shock/seizure, or because he might floors over and decide there's people who need to die, but because someone found clapping "triggering".

DELET THIS

I have trigeminal neuralgia and have lived misery beyond that, you can't even imagine. Trigger warnings are bullshit and "triggers" themselves should be taken as signals you have unexplored and unreconciled psychological issues. Their existence is a proxy to self discovery and improvement.

Grow up, and get over it.
eg:
>" Triggers are controversial and damaging experiences and topics which cause trauma victims to relive their trauma, viciously and without warning, in such a way that it is impossible for the individual to control.
>impossible
Nonsense that shows you've never actually attempted to use your brain. You're just a slave sensor, and trying to justify it.

This needs to die and stay dead.

Perhaps someone like the person mentioned in this post, who was legitimately afflicted with horrible PTSD.

Do you think that poorly of our veterans?

I think you need to find some"non triggering" reading comprehension classes. The way it was written covered the topic of veterans and acknowledged the validity of changing something such as thunderous applause for someone who would immediately become a threat to self or others.
>Not because of a specific guest who might go into shock/seizure, or because he might floors over and decide there's people who need to die, but because someone found clapping "triggering".

You're automatically assuming that someone who finds clapping triggering isn't a veteran or someone who has experienced trauma which is triggered by clapping.

Nice non sequitur though.

In the event the person is telling about, it was not for a veteran.

You're assuming trauma which is triggered by clapping is only experienced by veterans.

Should someone so volatile really be in public?

A book could fall off a shelf and indirectly kill 10 people.

THIS.
What's more likely? Someone outside of Veeky Forums came to Veeky Forums and decided to whine on Veeky Forums, or /pol/ trying to turn all of Veeky Forums into its hugbox with its right-wing flavored social justice bullshit.

I think the whole logical framework of "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings" is being seeded into the collective pubic consciousness deliberately. I'm not sure by whom, what the origin points or control structure is, or exactly why, but it seems fairly apparent this is engineered.

Most people are half minded degenerates, but they aren't this stupid on their own.

>Warning people there is an aggressive rape scene in a movie before you show it
seems like a good idea
>Warning epileptics of flashing lights
Already happens
>TRIGGER WARNING: DOES NOT PASS BECHDEL TEST
Bad

Shit aint hard. Both /pol/ and sjws are fringe thinkers too. Makes it seem like they have a popular opinion,

You can't even make an argument without an endless, pointless rant that goes off tracks many times.

Also, you made a wrong turn, amigo

Pretty masterful troll. This should be posted elsewhere, it has all the basic ingredients that induce slobbering rage on Veeky Forums.

>people who need trigger warnings are mentally ill
this is controversial?

git fukken triggered

oh boy it's the "both extreme takes on an issue are the only two options" meme again

is the only reasonable response

SEE THIS

>her undergraduate institution

triggered

>tfw schizotypal
>tfw talking to someone makes me feel weird because of all the trauma
>TRIGGER WARNING DONT SPEAK
it's kinda fucking hard for people to live all according to me now, isn't it?
just tell them to refrain using that word from now on, and you'll be fine

ranting has NEVER or will EVER solve anything

This whole fucking thread is triggering me

>trigger warnings have never been a thing
>suddenly they are needed in society
wow i am now convinced psychology is pseudo science

>w-we are not retarded guise trust me
Fuck off retard

Obviously if someone is mentally scarred. But so-called "triggers" are just people being pedantic and self-induced victims.
>psychology doesn't actually exist, you don't actually know anything nor does anyone else regarding the function of our minds

What are you even talking about you fat retarded bitch ?

suck it up you little bitch

git gud irl

WTF is this faggot?

ITT: People can't accept that there are people that legitimately have traumas and need to be warned before they experience certain contents. Likewise, people that accept this don't accept the possibility that there are other people who take advantage of this fact.

ITT: weaklings that get triggered by everything because they're sheltered babies that can't/refuse to deal with the real world and project their insecurities on others as a form of political correctness gone fucking crazy.

So you are saying that there aren't people with traumas who would benefit from being prepared before something potentially triggers that trauma?

Remember: Nobody is talking about people that get "triggered" by unicorns with too long horns or tissues floating to the floor in the wrong way. Real traumas.

>I think the whole logical framework of "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings" is being seeded into the collective pubic consciousness deliberately
>I'm not sure by whom

I think you're ready now...

No, I'm saying to be a fucking adult and control/repress your emotions like everyone else.

If you get triggered, leave or don't participate, but don't expect other people to cater to you and everyone else's needs.

I get that. But: There are traumas that are likely within several societies, with one of the most common ones being rape. It is likely that some people can have severe reactions to depictions of it (not necessarily mentions of it).

I don't know where you go to college, but I have never heard anyone announce that they would use the word "rape" in a few sentences. It does however make a lot of sense to announce topics and contents which could cause common traumas to reappear.

If you can't acknowledge that, then I don't know what to tell you. Your lack of empathy probably comes from a severe case of autism or a trauma you yourself sustained. What was it?

Holy hell, trigger warning that image.

You can thank Anita Sarkeeshitstain for that

She popularized the word trigger warning in the geek crowd for using it on her ridiculously mundane rants on video games and now everybody thinks trigger warning is for sensitive pussies and not people with actual PTSD

You are an idiot, anita sarkeesian is a nobody. She's made into this big powerful boogeymonster by you guys because you are absolute retards and spend time drudging up any shred of a scrap that confirms your paranoia and desire to witch-hunt and then blow that out of proportion. M'vidya.

It's a giant circle-jerk of absolute faggotry by morons and all of you should take vows of silence for the rest of your lives to spare humanity from your stupidity. Get off my internet, uninstall your computer you complete twit.

i'd let hilly zuck mah dick

Ive been abused, I've been exposed to trauma. I know family and friends that were raped. It happens, deal with it.

If hearing the word rape triggers you, you seriously need to get help. Normal functioning people don't have that issue.
That's why this is all a big joke, pretending that it's OK to be bothered emotionally by words, when it's not.

>it's about time someone heard our voices as well.

Question, do you believe that your voices have any power? Not just here, but in general. Do you believe that just because you or others speak up you can get the change you want? Words may make you curl up in a little ball, but for the rest of us they dont mean shit, and never will. People respond to actions, this time period where you are able to tell others what to do by shaming them is coming to a quick halt. Fuck you and the horse you rode in on, of you arw a /pol/ false flag you suceeded in making so anit-trigger warning. Of you are for real, know that we are not going to agree with you here, but I'm sure your came here for no other reason than to stroke your own ego about how strong you are dealing with your affliction and sticking up for the disenfranchised while you boast about your sum cum laude out of fucking nowhere and then call out another user for a non sequitur later in the same thread.

>im so triggered by muh sojiny

>SJW gets triggered
>"Get off my internet"

If you are an adult and want other adult people to hold your hand and censor themselves (even at a university), you are a giant faggot. There are lots of therapies/professional help, there are friends and family. You cant expect random strangers to pander to your feels

The implications that come with trigger warnings is that it implies that the individual who is traumatized can't or even shouldn't receive help to conquer the episodes. If you want a solution to the problem of people losing control over certain content, shouldn't efforts be made to stop it at the source?

Regardless if you believe or feel that there should be trigger warning everywhere, are you going to count on it being effective everywhere?

>Trigger warnings alert me to put my coping skills in place so that, when I enter into a controversial discussion, I am prepared for what I'm about to hear and ready should I actually end up facing an uncontrollable emotional response.
If you go to a talk/lecture (or read a book) with a title that may lead you to reasonably believe it may feature content you find disturbing, why don't you 'put your coping skills in place' beforehand? And more generally, why don't you keep your coping skills in place 24/7 that way if you do come across a subject that makes you uncomfortable, you can avoid an 'uncontrollable emotional response'

>comes into a board of actual scientists
>says some pseudo-scientific stuff about what OP THINKS is true based on anedotic experience and a degree in pseudo-science
>any actual scientist who disagree with OP should be censored
This thread represents tge reason we should stop treating psychology as a serious thing. It is already common sense in the scientific comunity it is not science, but psychology grads think they can debate face-to-face with us as if they knew something objective about the human brain.

>a board of actual scientists

I am not saying every one on this board is a scientists, but as the main purpose of it is to discuss science I would say most of the actual scientists who go on Veeky Forums would be inclined to use this board. That is why I said it is a board of actual scientists.

I'm derailing this shit bait thread

Any researchers here? If so, What are you working on? Thesis, publications, personal projects, etc.

ok. So tell the person to stop. If they don't stop, ignore them. Move on with life.
This is elementary school stuff.

Do you not understand that trauma is sometimes impossible to ignore?