Whiy is Tolstoy more praised than Dostoevsky here in Veeky Forums?

Whiy is Tolstoy more praised than Dostoevsky here in Veeky Forums?

Because Tolstoy is a better author.

He's definitely not. Brothers K and Crime and Punishment are Veeky Forumscore.

because nabokov memers

I think this is the answer.

Both are wonderful, just a little different.

Tolstoy is objectively better, but BK is my all-time favorite novel. Granted, he isn't THAT much better.

>Tolstoy is objectively better

This is the problem

because Tolstoï is a way better author than that shitty pamphleteer which philosophy resumes to "life was shit but then I discovered Christianism"
Dostoïevski only good works are Demons and Brother Karamazov

Is this the "best beard" thread?

>Dosto is a shitty pamphleteer but Tolstoy isn't
lmao

Have you read Hadji Murat?

Is he? Well then let me be a countervailing voice: Dosto > Tolsto

His prose was better.
That's it, that's the only reason. Some retards will post Nabokov's shitty opinion on Dosto but that cunt had shitty tastes.

>Tolstoy more praised than Dostoevsky
Did I miss something?

Christian anarchism maybe?

Because of fuckheads who haven't read more than one book from either Tolstoy or Dostoevsky parroting opinions they read online (such as Nabokov's opinion on Tolstoy and Dostoevsky).

>inb4 start with the Greeks
One is not better to start with than the other. You should focus on what book to start with, not with what author.

yea I realised it was a bit of an impulse question.

>His prose was better.
>That's it, that's the only reason
I'm sorry... aren't we talking about weiters ? How isn't that one reason enough ?

Tolstoy is the height of realism. His mastery and control of language, his observations, his divine empathy, and his moral project all make him objectively better than Dosty. Not only could he manipulate more characters, more complex plot lines, more sprawling scenery, he could do so with a precision rivaled only by Modernist painters who would come after him placed into words that sing off the page in their harmonious measure, whereas, while admirable Dosty could only handle a few overly sentimental and emotionally charged characters at a time, and was more interested in his psychological explorations that depicting what actually occurs irl.

Dosty is furious, and has a vitality rivaling the Bard. But his prose is sloppy and his narratives are weak and improbable at times. I see him more as the master of parables and entry level philosophical explorations but with an angst that is brilliant and impressive.

Tolstoy gets everything right and expands upon it with the precision of a true genius. He does not get overly invested into one character, or one spiel, but lays everything out in careful, potent measure so the whole is a more complete, honest picture, rather than the boiling over of unchecked emotion.

Dosty impresses the young, and rightfully so. But you grow out of him much like you grow out of the rantings of Nietzsche at some point. And when you put that away, you can turn to something with measured moral content, something hinting at the eternal, and that would be Tolstoy.

>tl;dr Read Karenina and the Death of Ivan Ilyich.

You're insufferable, you know that?

I remember a year ago when it was contrarian on Veeky Forums to prefer Tolstoy.

Anyway, just read Hadji Murat. It's the best thing he ever wrote.

t. obnoxious 21 year old who thinks he's well-rounded in literature

I was with you until

>modernist painters

and decided you really suck at

>Dosty impresses the young

Fuck off

>And when you put that away, you can turn to something with measured moral content, something hinting at the eternal, and that would be Tolstoy.

And you don't see this in Dostoevsky somehow?

first best post post

t. P&V reader

I've read Karenina and it's not even close to the quality of bk t b h f a m

I like Dostoevsky more just because I enjoy extreme realism a little bit less than drama. Dostoevsky's characters, frantic as they are, are still realistic enough and put into feasible situations, which is good enough for me. Tolstoy is so down to earth and commonplace that it just seems a bit dull, which is how I felt throughout almost all of Anna Karenina. I think there is more to be experienced/learned/felt when you have extreme characters like Dostoevsky's put into the situations they are put into.

Veeky Forums has bad taste.

This.

My literature and language teacher came to the conclusion that the difference was, that Tolstoy message is in-between lines of his works, while Dostoevsky builds the message up, just to let it all out for a few pages.

>"His prose was better."
>Probably has only read the books in translation

>le "P&V suck" meme
Nice

Their translations come off as awkward
But they use really nice paper in their prints

That's a good comparison

How is that even possible?

You have a fine taste. Congrats.