What word processors/text editors/writing software does Veeky Forums use?

What word processors/text editors/writing software does Veeky Forums use?

And what do you use it for (writing, journalism, diary, notes, etc.)?

can we please stop patting ourselves on the back for reading

yes I'd like it if more people took the time to read books, but we don't deserve the high praise we give ourselves for it

I should have mentioned

>Pic not related

focuswriter

Butthurt detected

I can't stand Microsoft Word. I quite liked fanfiction.net's document editor, nice wide field and because I used it for a good few years when I was a teen and into that sort of thing I have a much better feel for pacing/paragraph length etc. on that than on Word. Writing on paper is masterrace, obviously, but when I'm just want to type out any old shite I'll go for ff.net.

Fuck, there were so many typos in that post.

Textedit for notes, plans, timeline and something diary-like.

Libre Office for the first drafts. Word for editing.

notepad.

I like Focuswriter
Scrivener is overrated and has a horrible unwieldy design

They are nothing alike. Scrivener offers 125151 means to organise your shit. Focuswriter is more of a notepad for people who are too cool to use notepad.

Geany writing my own html tags, previewing on firefox and then compiling to epub in calibre.

LaTeX

LaTeX in Neovim
For uni shit, job applications, letters

FocusWriter or LibreOffice when I was writing for school. Notebook and pen for journal. Typewriter found in trash for stories.

G2 pilot pen with the cheapest compatible ink + a cheap shit graph paper notebook is my go-to combo. I eventually transcribe this shit onto an old version of word but it probably doesn't matter much so long as it has the standard features that are useful to have in a word processor. My brother swears by LaTeX, but he uses it for academic writing and it's too autistic for me even if you probably get more precise results out of it than word.

I know. That's why I said Scrivener is overrated, because it has a horrible unwieldy design

I hate them all. The minimalist ones are the best I suppose.

write with pen and paper first, then type it/revise later

Google Docs

inb4 /g/oogle shitstorm

>A worse microsoft word that you can't use unless you're online
Literally why?

What nib size?

I have a chromebook. Are there better suggestions for a piece of shit with 16 gigs of storage?

LaTeX is a typesetting program, not an editor.
Here are a few writing programs:
Writeroom (for Mac) or its clones: Darkroom, Jdarkroom, Q10, etc.
Ulysses
Mellel
Nisuswriter
Abiword (with epub export)
Growly Write

Sell it and buy and old used netbook, install Ubuntu, install Focuswriter. Take the hundreds of dollars you have left over and save it.

absolutely. in fact I'm going to buy a chromebook specifically for writing.

boot it with the Ubuntu operating system. Sounds intimidating but there are a slew of tutorials online, it's entry-level in technical skill. Ubuntu is a lightweight OS that has all the features you need without demanding too much processing power and isn't GoogleOS which is awful in every way. There are several word processors available for it, most notable of which I'd say is Apache. Pretty much Microsoft word.

Also, stick an SD card in your SD card slot to back up your work on a convenient secondary drive in case your shit gets wet or you drop it.

>Ulysses
I've heard this is great but don't have a mac. How is it, really? What makes it so good?

Emacs

>Ubuntu is a lightweight OS
Now, now. It may be many things but lightweight it is not.

0.5mm blue ink because those seem to be the cheapest ones. I've used 1.0 and 0.7 before though.

Don't have to worry about losing my shit

Can access from my phone if I want/need to

Can send people links to certain docs, which makes sharing easier

Other stuff that I probably can't think of right now

light enough for a chromebook

>not using .38

You'd have to be kind of autistic to be that particular unless you're drawing with them.

I use Evernote for taking notes/ideas/randoms. I've recently come accustomed to using the text-to-speech function and it's been much better than using pen/paper when I'm out and about.

>Not getting an older t-series Thinkpad with the nice tactile 7row keyboards.

Flat scissorswitch keys are just awful.

>I need a typewriter experience on a laptop
Ya niggas will never realize the glory of butterfly switches and low travel that makes writing feel almost as direct as pen and paper.

I use Mobislenotes on my e-book tablet just to quickly jot down things that come to mind

I like to use AbiWord.

To come up with ideas, I generally write things out first. I'll write out full first chapters out on paper and then transition to typing it.

I use Libre because I like the design of it better than word's desu.

>I use Libre because I like the design of it better than word's desu.
The fuck? One of the reasons I even downloaded Word was because the 2013/16 version is so damn sexy, while Libre looks like we're still in the 2000s.

Sadly Word customisation is shit compared to Libre.

They're both shit for writing.

Scrivener for organizing/compiling

WriteMonkey/MSWord/NotePad/Pen&Paper for writing

basically whatever is avaiable

I make notes in Notepad when I'm at my terminal, my actual notepad when I'm afk and write things out in Open Office.

Well, they are way faster than any pen; while I appreciate the romance of actually writing stuff down, it's just not very efficient, so I use it only for planning.

Actually that's not true any more. Short essays I write in OO because it's quick but recently I've been using scrivener if I want to write something substantial. It's great for planning things out and lets you approach each scene or chapter piecemeal instead of being a massive wall of text file.

I'm in the process of moving over to emacs and am so far quite impressed.

It's a lot lighter than certain other OS's. It's also nowhere near the heaviest Unix like either. But I'll agree that if you want easy to install and lightweight sort of thing there are better alternatives. Puppy is my fave in this category.

TeXShop in order to write in LaTeX.

super easy, and I get to format it however I want. Though it's technically not a word processor.

I find MS Word to be almost unusable and too unpredictable in its current form. But it's the standard of the hoi polloi so I'm paying monthly for that 365 shit regardless.

I use Libre Office and I write comedy for a satirical news site.

Its native format is Markdown. Find older files is easy, there's good organization--two or three pane format.
There must be a Windows alternative.
Look for the rarepancakes tumblr or twitter. An user is putting together an alt scrivener for linux.

>Formatting during the writing phase
Destined to fail

Not writing on paper means you're all defecating on 17.247 years of literary history, Veeky Forums.

Come on now.