Well?

Well?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-N_RZJUAQY4
moralmachine.mit.edu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Here's a better one:

There is a trolley heading towards 10 restrained CS majors. If you pull the lever, no-one gets hurt.

What to do, Veeky Forums?

If one goes up and the other goes down, then the people on the trolley can get to their destination on time
:^)

Why the lever guys are tied up too?

kèkk

if you let them collide they will tunnel through each other without killing the hostages ;^)

Well?

fuckin saved

Wouldn't you just keep switching it? If the first number is odd then the next is even act you can just keep halving it

is killing yourself an option?

switch infinitely many times, kill infinite people

You can never get it to 0, as only way to reduce number is to halve

Nevermind I'm stupid

Yup, this is what I expected to see

yup

i trust the collatz conjecture to be true

Be on the centre-bottom :3

So, every time I pull the lever the number of people I will kill either halves and triples depending on the starting number? Lets say the number of people originally destined to be killed is 3, which is the lowest odd number. If i pull the lever 1 time, I kill 9 people. 10 times I kill 3*3^10, which is 177,147 people. If I pull the lever 20 times I kill 3*3^20 people, which is 10,460,353,203 people - more than the population of Earth.
So, what i would do is pull the lever 20 times and so either effectively commit suicide or save every one.

That being said, this assumes the starting number is a whole, positive number which isnt explicitly stated.

If the number were 3, it would go

Then back to 4

you can keep pulling the lever before the trolley starts moving, but, when you stop pulling the lever after a while, the trolley starts down whichever track has the number of people you computed after your lever toggles.

>1000 miles
>Plenty of time left to save the man
>crew takes out the engine
>train stops
>crew puts engine back
>train kills man

What if there is a backup engine huh?

>he can run faster than a trolley
>he can run 1000 miles
sick

Let's say that there's 2 people.
Divide by 2.
You get 1.
You have to multiply it by 3.
There are now 3 people.
3 x 3 = 9
9 x 3 = 27
3^n = infinity if the level is pulled infinitely many times.
If you don't pull the lever, you will kill less than an infinite number of people.
Don't pull the lever.

You forgot to add 1.

You forgot to add 1, dingus

Get gud and this is possible, just time that switch right.

i want to see them collide desu

What the shit does this have to do with science or maths.

Infinity is too many people anyway. I'm actually helping the world this way.

Wouldn't the existence of infinity persons imply an infinite world with infinite resources? People don't just poof out of the ether.

Collatz would take the risk

infinite people means infinite mass in a divergent series. have fun with your reality as it collapses at the speed of light.

also don't pull the lever. i value myself more b/c i want to.

kek

Better to just get it over with.

youtube.com/watch?v=-N_RZJUAQY4

wait there was a numberphile video about this recently. That algorithm always produces a 1,2,4 sequence if you do it long enough, so yeah you'd better start switching that lever boi.

I'd offer 500$ to anyone who would tell me what I should do, then just wait.

But what does that mean though? Don't you kill someone at every juncture? Doesn't that mean you shouldn't pull the lever at all?

was expecting one of these. 'it's amazing how young kids see things in a different light' bullshit.
Pleasantly surprised, based kid

fucking savage

No, but they can poof out of the aether. Shit is luminiferous

>Do you pull the lever
Yes, since there are less than [math]2^60[/math] people in the world

Well?

thats pretty metal

[math]-\frac{1}{12}[/math]

Walk away and buy myself a sodie pop

Pull the lever, it will eventually get to n - 1/12 and only kill 5/12 people

>don't pull the lever
>have to pay child support one month every year

All Star, the anime song distribution is such that the default is likely to produce a superior result (because All Star is GOAT).

All Star, obviously. It doesn't make sense, dialectically speaking, not to live for fun.

the only answer is

SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME

The trolley problem is quite moot when the world is macaroni

>pull lever
>move out of the way

After running over 6 people it will slow down and won't do that totally sick loop-da-loop anyway. See, this is where Epicureanism comes in.

Doesn't infinite reach the point to include yourself in the way?

Gotta roll the dice for cha la head cha la.

Intriguing possibility, given the track might be on a loop. Perhaps the infinity symbol might be interpreted as meaning it is a loop.

However, does it loop around to yourself, or does it loop around to where the trolley came from and continues avoiding you?

idk why but this made me laugh uncontrollably in my class

if you don't pull the lever you create 1/12 lives, so don't pull the lever

they can kick the switch

I love this meme

psycho in the making

This is wrong though. When the trolley approaches, one of the other paths are revealed to have 5 people tied to it.

Then you pull the lever to change your choice.

How the fuck do you have a non whole positive number of people you autist?

cripple ?

Taking no action (including learning the situation) is the most ethical course of action.
Not killing the fat "man" trivializes the final outcome of any lever based decisions.

lol'd

I wish I had saved it, but the one that made me think the most was something like this

Save yourself.
PTSD > Death

Lost
Also smash mouth

Fucking saved

So you value your own life over infinite lives that aren't yours, that is, if everyone is as much of a dick as you

yes

I think most people do

>uh oh

I'd pull a snidley whiplash

Did everyone look at you?

DAMAGED

>Nothing you can do to save the people
Easy, do nothing. The people are saved.

>over infinite lives
Only five. The rest are the responsibility of the others down the line.

The child was merely perturbed by the notion of being forced to choose between outcomes that would yield an asymmetrical result with respect to the diverging track lines, i.e. one line or the other would remain obstructed as opposed to zero.

Of course in some context this could be interpreted as psychotic behavior, but I believe it simply indicates that the child is autistic.

Left obviously

Pretty good, reminds me of this

I'm happy you made this post.

Not going for All Star is a sin

try this out you must decide who a selfdriving car with brake failure should kill

moralmachine.mit.edu/

multi-lane drifting ;)