University Thread

September is going to start soon, and some people have already started Uni/College. What are you studying and where, Veeky Forums ? Any freshmen?

>Age
>Your University
>Your Degree
>Graduated? If not, what year?

To keep it Veeky Forums, give advice to other suffering science students in this thread.

>18
>Youngstown State University
>Physics and Astronomy with a minor in Mathematics
>2020
I know I go to a shit-tier school

comp sci dixie state university 31 better late than never

I feel it I'm at a CSU, but to be honest the 1 on 1 time with my professors and easy access to research experience is worth it.
>21
>Humboldt State University
>Biochemistry, Cellular biology and a minor in applied maths
>Spring 2018

>CompSci

Prepare for the physicists' hate. I wonder how much of the hate this board has for CS is tongue-in-cheek

>datamining thread

Kys

>19
>Rice University
>Bioengineering
>Spring 2019

hey sorry to hijack this thread but is anyone else having problems with MyLabsPlus?

How did you like Biochem? What are it's applications? As in, what areas could i find a job with it?

Yeah it's been down for the past two days or something.

Pearson is shit.

I'm so pisssed about it. I don't use the MyLabsPlus part but I use the same courseware for two language courses and I've missed so much homework.

>19
>University of Manchester
>Neuroscience
>Spring 2020

What am I in for? Any of you guys got advice for the course/uni?

Just in case, University of Manchester, England.

It's pic related, since apparently there's another University of Manchester in Hamburgerland.

>I've missed so much homework
Your professor(s) should have been notified about it from Pearson. Did they not address the issue? My prof is pushing stuff back because nobody could access the homework.

>24
>DeVry University (School of Engineering)
>Electrical and Electronics Engineering with an emphasis in VLSI design and minor in Math and minor in Physics
>Will graduate in 2 years
Advice: Don't be a brainlet.

I've heard from neither of my professors but I'm sure tomorrow once everyone says they couldn't access it they'll push it back

>quads
>DeVry
well meme'd

>dubba quads

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttt

>18
>UAlbany
>CS/Math
>Freshman
Got cucked into buying stewart's webassign bs and an overpriced java book.

>18
>Purdue University
>BS in Math, BS in Economics
>2020

>19
>Texas A&M
>Aerospace
>2nd

I don't know man I just stumbled in here. Make friends unlike me.

Except
Fuck all these, the genius from these companies to invent a way to make even used textbooks not an option.

>19
>University of Southern Indiana
>BS in Computer Information Systems
>Sophomore

>28
>University of Wisconsin - Bumfuck
>Double major Math and Physics
>2019

Get an internship in your field for that minimum experience requisite.

>18
>University of Edinburgh
>Minf Informatics
>2021
I start in a couple of weeks; so I've no advice to give.

>18
>UChicago
>Math or Physics (probably math desu)
>2020

4 weeks until we even start kill me senpai

>21
>Georgia Tech
>mathematics
>graduated a year ago

>18
>Rutgers
>math and physics
>2020

I got rejected from oxford, maybe if I do well enough in undergrad I can get into a good grad school though r-right? I know it probably doesn't matter that much but it would have been pretty great.

>29
>tiny state uni
>bio, env sci, almost got a chem degree too
>2014

my life is fucked and fuck you all

MSU
Double major in Physics and Math

pro tips: if you want to pursue a class that isn't offered to underclassmen, ask the professors to let you in anyway. the department usually has something in place for motivated students.

it's still possible, just work hard

>19
>Community College that's not important but transferring to St. John Fisher University next fall
>Pharmaceutical Chemistry
>Graduate CC in 2017, Uni in 2019
I'm so fucked I can barely do CC and maintain a 3.7

you can always kys, or become a skilled laborer eg electrician/plumber

B.A. in wildlife biology minor in animal science
u.c.davis
This is my last year finally

>22
>Obtained BS in CS and Math from UGA
>Currently First-Year CSE PhD at Georgia Tech
>Graduating 2021? Who knows.

Have fun at UGA, user. It's okay to get cucked once or twice. You'll learn quick. And its unavoidable sometimes. Make the most of your time there. Don't fuck up and skip the trifecta like I did. But find someone who has done it before so you don't get caught.

I've thought of both intensively

make your country proud. become a moderate in your homeland

Ayyy how you like Screwston my dude? Put yo H's up

I'm transferring there next year hopefully. Cstat is alright, I'm sure you'll make friends eventually

>18
>Indiana University of Pennsylvania (it came before the state of Indiana by like 2 years)
>Molecular Biology
>Class of 2020

I'm hoping I can get in on some decent research opportunities. There's plenty here, but you have to be at the very very top and I've always floated around mediocrity.

Also, can a molecular biologist potentially make loadsemone working in that field, or would I have to do something unique or discover something wholly profound to get cash?

>18
>Brown
>Chemical Biology
>2020

Definitely going to be a small major at my school, so there will be lots of research opportunities. Should I try to get involved with the research right away, or is that something I should save for later?

>22
>UC school, want to keep it general
>PhD program chemistry
>just starting this september, class of 2021?

not him, but I majored in biochem for my undergrad. Honestly you should just do chemistry and take a couple biochem electives if you are set on chemistry. If not just go do fucking engineering. This field is very saturated and its difficult to find a well paying job outside of school. make no mistake, if i could avoid going to get my PhD to be considered an actual scientist or get an actual well paying job, I would have. thats just the reality with hard sciences.

on the flip side biochem is a good premed major. a lot of my friends went to med school and a lot of people i didnt know so well either.

Brigham Young University
English
15 years ago

Used to work grading standardized tests in English but that job went to New Hampshire and I was unwilling to follow. Decided to return to school for a science degree to increase my options.

And dear lord, you Veeky Forumsentists don't know a damned thing about writing. Listen people. If you want to become a successful researcher LEARN TO WRITE.

Nobody will pay attention to or fund you if you don't know how to communicate.

>18
>UCLA
>Undecided (Probably chem or bio)
>2020

How hard is it to get research opportunities at large schools? And when's the earliest you can reasonably get one?

the day you ask a professor for one

Eyyy I'm a math major class of 2019. If you don't mind, I'm going to dump some advice I might have liked to hear a year ago.

The math department here is amazing for undergrads, your going to have a great time with that. The physics department however, sucks when it comes to teaching. If you're thinking about honors physics, depending on your background, you may have to teach yourself a lot of engineering tier math to do well. The labs are weekly 4 hours of hell.

Lots of students come in unsure of what to do between math and physics (me included) and almost all of them choose math. This is both a reflection on how well the departments teach, the fact that math doesn't begin to get really good until proofs (which begin on the first day at chicago), and because real physics isn't as sexy as pop sci physicists make it out to be (while math actually is sexy).

Now, it may turn out you like physics, and I certainly know people who are physics majors and enjoyed it. The point is that the above experience is fairly typical, so you may want to consider how much effort you're really willing to put into it, especially considering past experience. My experience with physics in high school was a lot like college, except with harder math. I didn't really like it in high school, and thus I didn't like it in college. If you do take it, I would recommend having four classes so you can drop if you need to (I would give this advice in general actually, never be afraid to drop a class if you don't like it).

(cont.)

I can give lots more specific advice if you tell me about your background. With regards to math my generic advice would be to absolutely take honors calculus (there's a version of this which is called "ibl" where you learn via the Moore method, and a regular version where you read calculus by Spivak, both are great). As mentioned before, these courses will represent a shift from high school math to proofs. This is a major shify, and it is known to be traumatic. The biggest difference is that your effort needs to be spent on understanding things, rather than particular techniques for solving problems. If you approach it with that mind set, and are willing to work hard, you'll do well. (Also, if you have seen proofs before, you probably know this, so let me know if you want info on some of the other classes you might take instead).

Devry has an engineering school?
>goes online, sees Devry is not ABET accredited
Woo. Almost had me worried

What happened user?Have you been in school all this time?

Hey! Thanks so much.

I took Multi and Linear Algebra in high school, though it was mostly just a matrix manipulation course so not very relevant. The thing is, my school only offered AP Physics 1 and 2 and I didn't do very well on those AP Exams (4, 2, respectively, the 2 out of protest (surprised I didn't get a 1 desu)). So I don't have a background in Calc-Based physics at all. That said, I have a good math background. Should I go 140s? Will they even let me?

I've done a lot of work on proofs on my own (I've read through Spivak and a good bit of Rudin, and while I won't claim mastery, I have a solid footing in both).

I actually already took the placement test, not sure when I get the results back. I thought I did very well on the MC, and everything on the FRQs except the last one (which I gave a solid effort on, but didn't finish), which was proving a double integral, something I've never learned. So, I don't know where I'll place t b h. I was a big show off on all my definitions so maybe they'll pick up that I'm familiar with analysis, idk. And lately I've been paranoid that I fucked up the delta epsilon proof, but that's probably all in my head (I can't even remember what the problem was or what I put).

What do you think I should do if I don't get into 207? 160s? 159 ---> 203?

As far as I know, you should be able to get in if you ask. The linear algebra you took would be of use to you in the 140s. You would also want some basic (not proof based) multivariable calc. Considering the other math you've done, you probably would be able to teach yourself that stuff on the fly if you needed too. Calculus based physics is not that different from physics 1 and 2, you'll be using Calculus on problems (obviously) and you'll also need know how to do some rather hand wavy derivations by reasoning with infintesmials. If this sounds alright, and you're willing to work, you would probably be ok.

As for math, I will tell you the story of my experience. I self studied Spivak for about a month over the summer (I wasted time with non-proof math), and got through about half of it. It was my first exposure to proofs, so my mathematical maturity wasn't really all the way there. With that level of know though, I did pretty well, got most of the FRQs, and was placed into 159 (though I was shooting for 207). I talked to Boller (undergraduate advisor), and he was willing to place me in 203 (if you get this placement, you should get the same offer if you ask).

In the end, I opted for 161 because it seemed like if you want to get the attention of professors, it's more important to take that course than to get through the major more quickly. I'll also add that I really did gain a lot of mathematical maturity in the 160s, and I did very well and should be in honors analysis this coming year.

Though based on what you've said, I would probably lean towards you probably getting into honors analysis, or at least being prepared to talk yourself in if you needed to. The real thing I might worry about is whether the fact that you only self studied will show somehow. That's really why I didn't place in, but then again, you've read a lot more than I did when I took the test. If you do get in, probably don't take honors physics at the same time.

Where can you get a job with a degree from Devry?

>22
>Buenos Aires University
>Civil Engineering
>No. Idk maybe around 2021.
People here -have- to work besides studying if we want to have a decent life so it takes around 8 years to get an engineer degree with that rythm

>physics

Honestly this placing into Honors Analysis stuff is getting stressful. It's so intense! You said you had a meeting with Boller, how do the results come out? Like does the math department meet 1 on 1 with everyone? I've heard that they might ask you to prove things if you try to adjust your placement? Is this true? Sounds stressful (but probably wise, if you can't prove things you have no business adjusting your placement higher I guess).

Is self-studying a bad thing? Most people don't actually have the opportunity to take an analysis course, do they?

My main concern is that I'd be a bit bored in 160s, honestly. I suppose I could do what you've done: ace it, then take 207. Duly noted about 140s. I'm interested in taking physics at a higher mathematical level, but... don't want to kill myself either (math is my priority as of now).

Hope to take 207 with you!

this had way more question marks than I intended t b h.

Do you have any input on other classes btw

fuck off /x/tard

21, hopefully starting Mathematics and Computer Science next year

im a biologist though

When we got results, it got put on our my.uchicago accounts (I think). They changed the system, so who knows where it will end up, but expect it online. After the results came out, there was a meeting for everyone to discuss class options. After the meeting, he directed everyone who wanted into honors analysis to another professor (Fefferman), who met with people one on one. He asked some questions to see if we could prove stuff. He asked me content I didn't know (but would have if I finished Spivak), so I didn't get in. I think other people who knew more did get in.

Self studying is not bad, it's great. I think I attribute some of the mistakes I made on the test in part to never having had any feedback on my work. But it was probably more that I just didn't know enough math at that point, it's hard to say.

If you take honors analysis, you will be with first years who took analysis and possibly more math at a nearby college after finishing high school math after a year or two. I even know a kid who basically finished the math major at his college in high school and then took honors analysis his first year. He's going to take some grad classes next year in addition to the normal math major track. You'll also meet kids like you, who self studied in. The former case is not typical of most math majors at the university, but it is common enough in honors analysis.

As for being bored, I think you'd have a harder time being bored in IBL. The presentation of the content is different, you have to come up with every proof on your own, and you'd be presenting it yourself. Quarter three will also cover content similar to the first few chapters of Calculus on Manifolds by Spivak, which you wouldn't cover in Spivak Calculus or Rudin. It's also not so bad to have an easy class first quarter. I would warn you to just not be that kid who is overzealous because he already knows proofs while the rest of the class is struggling.

>18
>Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
>Bachelor of Engineering majoring in Software and Network Engineering.
>2020

Had plans to do Biomedical Science, but it fell through when I learnt it was an excellent way to be both poor and unemployed. I'm planning on entering the field through IT and then doing some additional study in that field (I.T management of private biomedical research). What do you guys think?

How the fuck is physics /x/ tier you absolute autismo. Have you even covered a course in biophysics?

Oh, so it'll be on my.uchicago. geez. Sometime over the summer? Did the 1 on 1 meeting with Fefferman about the placement apply to everyone going into 207, or just people trying to adjust upwards?

DESU the material from the latter end of Spivak about sequences and series (series especially) is probably my weakest area rn. So if that's what he's asking I might be screwed. I feel good about the field axioms and stuff though.

Yeah I'll be with people like that, no doubt. I have no delusions of grandeur going into this lol.

I'll definitely do IBL if I go the 160s route. Everything I've heard about it is so positive. And I think I'm self-aware enough to not be a punk like that! I hope. You're totally right btw, an easy class first quarter is not a bad thing.

yes and it was bullshit as hell, but at least not as moronic as what /x/tards discuss here

DESU ---> t b h

>21
>UCLA
>Applied Computer Science
>hopefully in two years

I took Human Being and Citizen for hum, I thought it was awesome. It was a great overview of western cannon, and a good mix of literature and philosophy. When you get chalk, use it to look up syllabuses for classes from previous years and see if the reading list looks interesting to you. Don't stress if you didn't do a lot of reading or writing in high school, that's the point of the core, to teach you how to do this stuff. Just be ready to put in effort. With any discussion based class, the professor will make or break the class most of the time, so read evaluations and ask upperclassmen for professor recommendations.

My general advice when choosing classes is to remember that this isn't high school. You don't need to take all honors classes in order to even be engaged. If you're taking a class which is honors or has a reputation as being hard, you need to be sure you're really interested in the subject, otherwise you're just going to hate it and be overwhelmed. At the same time, if you do really love a subject, don't let others scare you away from taking a hard class. Basically, take hard stuff in stuff you like, and regular stuff elsewhere. Lastly, don't be afraid of dropping a class if it's too hard (you can do this without penalty within the first three weeks of a quarter, and switch down a level in math for up to 5 weeks). That's what it's there for, nobody will judge you if you use it. It has the potential to save a quarter for you.

The meeting was only for people who asked to move into honors analysis.

If you're reading Rudin, Chapter 3 will have a much more comprehensive look at that stuff, so try to get to it.

Sweet. I was between HBC and Phil Per. Now all I need to do is pick a language.

I totally get what you mean about the Honors classes.

My reasoning for wanting to take honors physics is that it seems like people more passionate about physics will be in it, and it will be better prep for the rest of the physics major should I continue on with it. I'm mostly interested in the mathy aspects of physics (t b h I might just do a physics minor so I don't have to do the lab sequence) anyways.

Sounds good about the meeting. I've read chapter 3, and yeah some material I found easier to grasp than others. The basic sequence stuff, cauchy sequences, etc., all good, but the subsequence, limsup/liminf, and convergence tests I don't feel strong with (in part because of a lot of proofs going left unstated).

as an aside, do you know how physics placement is even determined? I see conflicting reports there.

Protip: If a proof is unstated in the book, you need to prove it yourself.
That said, Rudin is a tough text, and often presents things in the most clever way instead of the most natural way. You might also consider looking at the texts by Pugh and Tao if you want a different perspective.

There are plenty of passionate people in the 130s as well, it is an intro sequence to the physics major. Did you take BC Calc? I know in the past that gave placement into the 140s. That said, you probably would qualify into it through the calc accreditation exam.

>24
>Midwestern State Uni
>M.S. Geosci
graduating this year if I don't fuck anything up

I try to prove every theorem without looking first, then using it as a guide. I dunno, I just haven't put as much time into chapter 3 material as I did, say, chapter 2 material, because it felt less foreign and exotic and flashy. I need to brush up for sure.
But yeah Rudin definitely does certainly emphasize style and flair over ease of follow.

Yeah I got a 5 on BC. Good to hear that that'll end up meaning something.

Thanks again for being helpful! I would say we should see if we're in the same dorm, probably not actually.

Hopefully we both get the placement we want and see each other in 207. Ofc, we'll never actually know.

>Used to work grading standardized tests in English
COMMA? -2
>but that job went to New Hampshire and I was unwilling to follow. Decided to return to school for a science degree to increase my options.
EXPLAIN... -20
>And dear lord, you Veeky Forumsentists don't know a damned thing about writing. Listen people. If you want to become a successful researcher LEARN TO WRITE.
COMMA? UNNECESSARY CAPS. STYLE -10
>Nobody will pay attention to or fund you if you don't know how to communicate.
COMMA? RUN-ON. STYLE -15

Am I a good teacher yet

>18
>University of Michigan Ann Arbor
>Physics
>2020