Which languages should one be able to speak to be considered Veeky Forums?

Which languages should one be able to speak to be considered Veeky Forums?

allof them . . . .

English, Russian, French, German, Spanish, and Italian.

In that order.

Ingvaeonic, Aeolic dialect of classical Greek, Tenochtitlan Nahuatl, Xi'an Tang dynasty dialect of Chinese, Demotic Egyptian and Latin. Any other questions?

>tfw you fuck up and forget to put latin first

In that order? What does that even mean. Makes no sense saying you should be able to speak English, Russian, French, German, Spanish, and Italian, 'in that order' - (pleonasm!). Why not Russian, French, English, Spanish, English and Italian?

>Aeolic
Uh I think you mean Homeric and Attic.
>Nahuatl
Whatever.
>Egyptian
Maybe if you're a huge nerd.

>Aeolic
>learning lesbian greek
>not ionic or corinthian
you'll never get laid that way, not even by chicks

english
german
french
greek
latin
(optional: russian italian spanish arabic)

>english

portuguese senpai

English is the most important language in the world.

absolutely

>

>Aeolic

Greek, Latin, French, Russian, Chinese, Spanish, English

These are the only languages worth knowing

The language of Love, bae

German too

Japanese is better than Chinese

Also Sanskrit btw

Latin. It's absolutely worthless for the most part, but it will certainly make you seem sophisticated and refined.

It is physically impossible for weeaboos not to be fucking pseuds? Kys. All Japanese literature (and the written language itself) is based off the respective Chinese classics and Chinese. Modern Japanese ""literature"" is basically the same shit with Europe and the U.S; Mishima doing his poor imitation of European Fascism and Hellenic master morality and applying it to Japan, and Murakami with his community college sex adventure chronicles

>It is physically impossible for weeaboos not to be fucking pseuds?
Statement followed by question mark. Nice.

Plenty of weeaboos are definitely pseuds, but Japan does have its own unique literary tradition in the haiku, as well as an important classic novel in the Tale of Genji.

Has anyone here self-taught Latin? What was your process?

I used the Teaching Company course Latin 101

Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata by Oerburg. Anyone who tells you to use a different method doesn't want you to learn Latin, he wants you to learn to decode it and translate it into English. Also buy the companion to it, Latine Disco, for explanation of finer grammar points.

LLPSI is slower than many other books, but you will learn the language much more fluently than any other text would teach you to be.

Thanks.

Attic or Ionic Greek, Latin, Mandarin Chinese (an ease of access consideration for the most part), Sanskrit, Arabic. German for philosophy, Italian for music. This is not to say you'll want to read in those languages, but knowing them will let you understand commentaries, trasnlations and interpretative works a lot better.

>russian optional

get a load of this guy

>dis nigga
No no no, you want to learn seven to fifteen languages at LEAST, and they need to be either obscure, dead, or both. Then and only then can you gaze upon the glory of Veeky Forums.

>Italian for music
Completely unnecessary. Hell, you'd be better off with German for music, b/c of lieder and much better libretti

And here you are, using an italian term. I'm arguing for Italian for its utility in understanding and interpreting technical works on the subject, not for anything that was written entirely in it.

Japan does interesting things in the 1800s and early 1900s; that's the heart of Japanese literature and why it stands better than chinese. Soseki is virtually unmatched in Asia.

Currently learning French. What books do you suggest I read in what order to improve my French skills? From easiest to hardest of course.

I've been reading le petit nicholas atm and I'm moving onto le petit prince soon, then l'étranger and maybe le peste?

What do you guys think and what do you guys suggest I read after these? I preferably want to read in a way that'll give me progression while still not being all that difficult in terms of reading.

Reading la Peste now; Sartre's La Nausée is much easier and it's metaphysical focus is refreshing after l'étranger.

Sweet. Were you the guy that mentioned it in the other thread?

So how do they compare to L'Étranger? I read the first half a while back and it felt alright.

I actually went ahead and got Le Comte de Monte-Cristo as well (free on kindle, as with most older French literature), and was pondering reading it, though I don't want to start reading something too difficult too fast, just to then read another book later that would've been more suitable for my current level, you know?

If you are french/italian/spanish/romanian then you should learn latin

if you aren't, skip it.

don't forget us lusophones

Are you using a grammer book? If so which one?

Knowing Italian isn't going to help you with that in the least.

>arabic

German and Russian

Ancient Greek, Latin, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian.

I believe he was trying to say English is the most important language to learn, then Russian, etc.

Actually Latin is far from useless (outside of speaking it with everyday people). It's a good foundational language that aids in your understanding of syntactic structure, which is a great tool for learning new languages.

>soseki
>unmatched
weeaboo confirmed

>Italian fags get to read divine comedy in its original format
Jdimsa

Everyone knows about the big meme languages but is there any literary merit to learning languages such as Dutch, Swedish, Irish, Portuguese, Danish, Norwegian, Polish, Ukranian, Welsh, Hungarian, Czech, Romanian?

If you know Irish you can read the myths in their original language, as well as a considerable amount of poetry and a few novels. It's my opinion that every Irishman should be able to read Irish. If you know one of Danish/Swedish/Norwegian you can learn the others quite easily I think and there is a lot of mutual intelligibility, so that would give you access to some great Scandinavian writers I'm pretty sure.

I studied Latin, Greek, french, and Norwegian - That's about the order of importance for me. Norwegian is nice because if you can read it, you can also read Danish and Swedish.

Ibsen is great so is HC Andersen. Norwegian is also stupid easy even compared to French. So I recommend it.

Hungary has produced some very good writers in the last 30 years but my freaking god that language is a nightmare.

Irish has great epic cycles and myths. Same with Welsh to a lesser extent.

Fuck Portuguese, I don't know anything about Polish and Ukrainian literature; Dutch literature isn't really that great but the language is similar to English so if you want to, it will be easy*.

at least three of those.

So if Danish/Swedish/Norwegian is a three-for-one kind of deal for reading lit, which one should you actively acquire so that the remaining two fall into place easiest?

You only need English, but German and French are useful.

I'm Norwegian, and to be fair it'd be a lot of work for the narrow number of classic authors there are. All though if you learn Danish, you will be able to read the Norwegian classics, and the danish ones quite easily. I believe there's more Veeky Forumserary merit to the danish classics.

I could google this, but just for the sake of bumping: are the scandinavian langs inflected?

Honestly Norwegian and Danish are the most simmilar in written form. So I would say one of those two. I'm the poster above, and as a Norwegian I find listening to Danes excrutiating, but their written language is all right.

No. And pluralizing is retardedly easy unlike German.

Furthermore conjugation is dead simple, here is the verb to be:

jeg er, du er, han er, vi er, dere er, de er

>excrutiating

just subjectively or are there objective linguistic reasons? like, relevant things outside the cultural nuances you people like so much and that only relevant between you.

>minored in Spanish
>enjoy talking with others
>colloquial Spanish, however, is very simple
>every time I read a book I get sick of looking up unfamiliar words and just drop the novel
>end result is that I am able to fluently speak Spanish but have never read a book in the language

What do I do? I recently tried reading Charlotte's Web in Spanish and couldn't do it. I'm fucking sick of having to read with a dictionary next to me.

How can you say you are fluent if you can't even read a simple book?

Ok maybe you can remark that it's hot outside or you know how to run a meme script for booking a hotel room that you learned in your shitty class, but there's no way you are able to fluently express yourself if you are being stumped by elementary school level vocabulary.

Even as a non-Scandy when I've heard Danish in movies it sounds really weird.

which books have you been reading?

Is there any benefit at all in studying modern Greek if my real goal is ancient Greek?

Duolingo is putting the finishing touches on a modern Greek course. I've been wanting to learn ancient Greek so I was considering going through the course if it would be of any benefit.

>Aeolic dialect of classical Greek

Homeric and Attic are objectively superior.

>all these idiots saying English
Obviously anyone reading this thread already knows English, you stupid faggots.

It's not very nice sounding and it's hard to understand. Even Swedes have trouble with it.

English. Everything worth reading is translated into English anyways, there really is no need to learn any other language in regards to /lit'

>Duolingo
Honestly vastly inferior to just learning vocabulary with anki, studying a bit of grammar and reading native materials looking up every word you don't know.

That's not what I asked.
I don't need help with my methodology.
Either answer my question or stop memeing.

You must have ignored all established languages and their literature and developed your own. Anyone reading this has failed.

>learning vocabulary with anki
why you mother fuckers always be jerking off to this shit. you make all of it yourself. it can be any application

>memeing

Your life's a fucking meme.

French is a must

I'd rather use the superior Memrise, too.

Memerise is hardly different than DL.

It's completely different to Duo.

Not at all. It's certainly more tedious. Especially in the beginning.

>he uses the Memrise supplied courses

What, and you sit there making fucking flashcards?

No, I use other user's created courses.

Other way is better; ancient makes modern much easier; modern makes ancient a bit easier

Use an online dictionary you ape. Also, why are you starting with such simple shit? Precise actions are highest level in any language; kid's story have lots of these, but rather simple uneventful stories that make studying not feel worth it.

Find some early modern or modern lit and just battle through it. Or do news about a single subject over a few weeks.

Classical Latin
Aeolic or Ionic Greek
French
German

>Has anyone here self-taught Latin? What was your process?

Orberg is fucking dope. I learned Latin back in the days before Wiktionary and google translate. I never would have learned it if not for him.

H.S. Thompson's suggestion...

ancient hebrew, ancient greek, latin, french, russian, english (a bit lesser than the others but useful for reading encyclopedias and comunicating). second tier are german, italian chinese, sanskrit. third tier is spanish, portuguese, japanese (great nation but lacking lit wise). fourth tier is the rest

Meh at Hebrew. You can just read the Bible in translation. The translations are more influential anyway. Arabic and Persian, which you don't mention, are more important than Hebrew

sorry yeah forgot arabic and parsi in second tier
Hebrew is important I'd say because linguistically it's (very) interesting (no 'is' verb, for instance, or letters that reverse a verb's tense), it's also very neat to see how translation of the bible are very off from time to time, it's language with the most mutually intellegible versions not coming from geography but time and it has an continous literature that dates some 2500-3000 years, including very interesting medieval philosophy, contemporary poetry, etc...

Dumbspeak and pretentious. Both of them. Although lingua retardada is a plus.

>Speaking latin ever

If you want people around you to die of cringe maybe.

>Ancient hebrew

Old Church Slavonic

subjectively, but I imagine it's alot like being from London and listening to a really heavy scouse accent.

you dont need to know ancient hebrew.

Ancient Hebrew is a language for rabbis, historians and linguists. Not for people who want to read literature.

Also, almost all the great western writers who considered Tolstoy and Dostoievsky to be geniuses, read them translated.

I speak 4 languages, and for me, translations are very acceptable, except for poetry.

Tolstoy and Dostoevsky read one another in the original, however.

Hungarian if only for the poetry... we also have great lit. but there is no exciting academia or other reason to learn the language. also not so difficult.

No, I just want them to die.

That's why I like dismissing/trumping people's empty and emotionally charged rhetorical arguments with two words of Latin that signify the fallacy they're guilty of using.

Veeky Forumshuanian, of course

You don't consider Hungarian difficult?