Let's get a thread going for all the mathematical and scientific memes over the years

Let's get a thread going for all the mathematical and scientific memes over the years.

>multiplication is repeated addition

2nd grade teacher said this. I convinced my parents to change schools for me.

worst meme ever

imagine you have 5x=10

according to that shitty rule, that means I have

x+x+x+x+x=10

but now I have 5 variables and only 1 equation and thus the system is unsolvable

>"real" numbers
So where are the "unreal" numbers then?

>"complex" numbers
Not that complex tbqh familia.

>"irrational" numbers
How is pi irrational if it is so intuitive and useful?

Not a meme but holy shit they should have taught students in school the difference between theory and model and specific instances of theories or models. I didnt even know this until most of the way through university (although i was a disgusting engineering pleb)

There was always the knowledge that things would become more complicated but they didnt even touch on this

divide by x

>x+x+x+x+x
>5 variables

Do you not know what 'i' is?

Still not complex, mate. Even a 2D vector has more data in it than a "complex" number has.

But it worked for early computers!

I had this one with my students today, apparently told to them from all their previous teachers:

"Zero is neither even nor odd."

I looked into it and it's absolutely embarrassing how many math teachers think it's true.

Pic related is from a 2012 study of 25 elementary school teachers.

Also everything they come in thinking about SUPER SPECIAL MYSTERIOUS PI

>5 variables

are you literally retarded?

>2 times what

Only integers can be even/odd right?

Right.

Well, in that when we talk about even and oddness (parity) of integers we're talking about a property that applies only to integers.

There's "even and odd" functions as well for instance, but it's a case of using an evocative name for a different thing. There's also "even" and "odd" permutations. Again though, different thing.

I fell deep into the whole of learning people's understandings of the parity of zero today and it was depressing.

When maryland rationed gasoline (odd license plate endings one day, even the next) the state had to declare in the executive order that 0 is even.

What were you smoking to reach that conclusion?

Multiplication literally is repeated addition.

>even a 2d vector has more data than a 2d vector

A complex number is a 2D vector.

Different "multiplication." Essentially though.

No. Multiplication has absolutely nothing to do with it; there is no multiplying vectors. The complex numbers are exactly a 2 dimensional vector space over the reals, and this structure is unique up to isomorphism.

...it's *CHAINED* addition, retard.

tell that to my dead 2nd grade teacher and not me shit-turd.

>what is a field
>what are the dot and cross products
>what is complex multiplication

If you're relying on your kid's elementary school teacher to teach them maths then you're fucking up hard.

See:

>Multiplication has absolutely nothing to do with it; there is no multiplying vectors.
This is legit the stupidest post of the day.

>>what is a field
Not what we're discussing here. Field extensions do give rise to vector spaces, which is what we're dealing with here.
>>what are the dot and cross products
Not what we're discussing here
>>what is complex multiplication
Not a part of the vector space structure.

[math] t-4 = \sqrt{\frac{2/3}t}

They all admit a homomorphism into the group with two elements.

No it isn't. Go look up the axioms for a vector space and show me the one where you can mulitply vectors together.

kys

This seems like a "you know what really grinds my gears?" type of thread.

>using the same symbol to represent different concepts
IDGAF what field you're in. Not everyone is in your field. Stop being childish and make up new symbols.

>PEMDAS + GEMDAS / BEDMAS * BODMAS
I'm sure you've had the displeasure of witnessing threads with math problems with shitty notation.

>a number is prime if it is only divisible by 1 and itself

If you ignore the structures that make them different then of course they're different.

There is multiplication defined for complex numbers. I don't know what else to say to you.

>If you ignore what makes them different then they are different.

Come again?

Of course you can multiply complex numbers. I was objecting to this moron.
There is no multiplication on an abstract vector space. Calling someone stupid for pointing that out is idiocy itself.

b-b-but... that's right user.

2=-2*-1

It is referring directly to only positive integers, not negatives. It's for the sake of simplicity.

some low-hanging bait user.

1 is only divisible by 1 and itself, yet is not prime.
>i don't know what divisibility is

wow i've seen that license plate in southern california

I thought Veeky Forums is composed of above average intellectuals yet I keep seeing retarded shit like this.