>Newton_Tears.jpg

NOW WHAT?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_resonant_cavity_thruster
wired.co.uk/article/emdrive-and-cold-fusion
arxiv.org/abs/1505.04254
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So how does this so called "meme drive" . Input memes, output thrust?

There wasn't an explanation previously for its thrust.
Someone posed a plausible explanation
it was peer reviewed supposedly
cool.
That's how the scientific method works. It doesn't mean that it was ever wrong to be skeptical of the vague claims and lack of reputable evidence of its first proprietors.

Veeky Forums BTFO
>yfw typing this

We heard about the memedrive's possible explanation months ago. If I even had any tears to cry over tried and true methods of science winning against the people who just shouted "IT JUST WORKS" like a bethesda employee and learning about our universe, I would've done it then.

>Someone posed a plausible explanation
If it generates thrust, no one has demonstrated how it works without violating conservation laws beyond handwaving wankery. And it is published in an aerospace engineering journal where none of their peer reviewers would be qualified to comment on the aforementioned wankery. This is going to be FTL neutrinos all over again, but these assholes haven't had the decency to say "we measure this, but we think it may be an error we can't account for" and are instead screaming to the heavens that their nearly undetectable 'signal' is a violation of conservation laws.

Aerospace engineering grad student here. I'll be the first to say that reviewers for the AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power probably aren't qualified to comment on memedrive. This is due to their knowledge and expertise being mostly limited to existing chemical and electric propulsion technologies. This one should've been submitted to an APS journal.

IT JUST WERKS

Veeky Forums /newton/ /physics/ BTFO

This is the 100th thread we have had today in the meme drive. By next month we will have had millions of meme drive threads. If the trend continues Veeky Forums will be nothing but meme drive threads by years end.

None of this will change the fact that the meme drive doesn't work.

>tfw amount of memedrive threads exceeds the maximum size of the universe and therefore creates thrust
>tfw it works just like the memedrive
This can't be a coincidence, can it Veeky Forums?

Problems:

1. A peer reviewed explanation of the memedrive's thrust doesn't necessarily confirm the source of thrust is what the creators thought it was

2. Conservation of momentum was an empirical fact when Newton talked about it. Now it's a law established by the basic postulates of all modern physics.

3. Yahoo news is not a reliable source of information about developments in the scientific community. Wait for the paper to be published. yahoo seems to think the title of the paper indicates that the technology is working. The title is “Measurement of Impulsive Thrust from a Closed Radio Frequency Cavity in Vacuum" not "memedrive just works, here's why!"

4. the developers of this memedrive aren't physicists

>tfw a troll-face physics tier drive will enable humans to reach the stars

Cant make this shit up.

How it works was already explained.

It doesn't violate conservation of momentum. The trust is equal to the lost momentum of the interference destruction of the microwaves.

That's the meme

So you're saying NASA is lying that it works?

Problems, Veeky Forums?

Peer review from a shitty aeronautics engineering journal is meaningless. Start making free energy from the memedrive's violation of conservation and I will kiss /x/'s feet. Until then fuck off with this popsci clickbait.

All of this just. works.

You're confusing NASA with Eagleworks, which its a bunch of bozos masturbating to science fiction during their lunch hour. Will NASA tolerate this bullshit under their roof to get more attention? Absolutely. Do they think it actually works? Hell no.

1 year from now it still wont be doing shit.

the chinese already tested this almost a year ago and realized its shit.

I still don't get why people freak out over this.
So what if it violates the rules of thermodynamics slightly. It's not like Newton is infalable (see relativity)
and at that, it may not even actualy violate any rules at all, simply something that we don't yet understand might be happening. Isn't this what science is about? figuring out why we get the results we get? so stop shitting on it, acting smart if you can't explain it.

>the chinese
I found your problem

It wont be efficent in space due to the anisotropic radiation pressure caused by the spacecraft's heat loss.

Ah man, shit, you're right! Damn, you should tell all those idiots at Nasa about this!

people only responded to the memedrive because two chinese institutes happened to have stumbled upon this semi-forgotten concept.

chances are that the chinese are going to launch a satellite payload with an memedrive in the near future.

Woah the Chinese! Thats insane! You should tell the inventor of the emdrive that he didn't invent it at all! ha!

Shawyer or whatever would be happy that he got attention.

It took Cold War paranoia of fearing that the Chinese will be ahead to kick the NASA into their complacent asses to seriously take a look at the EmDrive.

Stop typing you bumbling moron.

But it's true.

/you/ BTFO

Meme magic powered spaceships when?

>I posted shit on Veeky Forums
>this makes it true!

why dont you google yourself?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_resonant_cavity_thruster

The very first people to seriously try to replicate the EmD were the Chinese. In 2008. In 2013, the Chinese published a second paper:

wired.co.uk/article/emdrive-and-cold-fusion

NASA efforts only began much later than the Chinese first attempt in 2011, spurred by fears of falling behind.

>Aerospace engineer Roger Shawyer designed the EM Drive, or EmDrive, in 2001
really makes you think.

never even disputed that.

Only that he was shunned by the scientific community and noone wanted to even take a look at his concept until the Chinese began experimenting with it.

The rest is history.

>Only that he was shunned by the scientific community
He should be shunned. His theory doesn't work and if the meme drive works at all, it is by pure coincidence that the geometry his erroneous approximations said should generate thrust does. Even if you still want to give him credit, the Eagleworks results clearly demonstrate that his theory is wrong.

>MemeDrive Passed Peer Review
No.

>No.
Yes.

Where were you when memedrive pass peer review

Have you watched his interview on YouTube? (from a year ago)

He is so unconfident, and bewildered sounding, its like he knew the whole thing was bullshit, but its totally blowing his mind that something seems to be working and is now doubting his own sanity

What the hell is wrong with you? Even if he was wrong, his failure led to a discovery that may help all of us.

It's not what's wrong with him as much as it is half of Veeky Forums/ This is unironically half of Veeky Forums:
>It doesn't match up with our very fucking basic understanding of the laws of physics, there4 it duz not work :^)

Einstein's cosmological constant was later found out to have implications and uses far beyond what he invented it for, which was to stabilize a static universe.

Einstein still fucked up. He admitted that it was the greatest blunder of his career. Was it a good thing that he derived the constant? Sure, but it was purely coincidence and was based on bad science. He deserves no credit for it.

No.

The "emdrive" is a device and not a paper and therefore hasn't passed peer review.

What has passed peer review is a paper with an proposed explanation why it should work. However it's peer reviewed for an aeronautics publication, not a physics journal. It doesn't mean shit.

are you jelly this complete idiot has possibly bumbled his way into inventing a method of actually getting humanity in deep space whilst all you can do is shitpost on Veeky Forums?

Who gives a shit about credit. Just so long as our technology and science continues to advance it matters little.

Mfw physics is invalidated.

Cúuuuucked'

I hope this shakes up physics a bit, it would be nice to know that our current understanding is wrong.

>electricity can be converted directly to thrust
>tfw one day kids will have space-bikes where they can pedal and it will get converted to thrust

>Even if he was wrong, his failure led to a discovery that may help all of us
You don't know that. You couldn't possibly know that.

>Einstein's great mistake
The cosmological constant should rightfully be included in the stress-energy tensor as a scalar field component. Writing it separately on the left side of the equation adds needless confusion. It was never a problem: he just didn't think of it in the same way that we do now.

You didn't understand the post you were replying to. Read it again.
The MemeDrive wasn't peer reviewed, an analysis of the results were peer reviewed. Furthermore, they were peer reviewed by people who aren't trained in physics. For a regular rocket engine, this doesn't matter, but they're claiming to understand a device that violates the laws of physics.

>"Em drive is a hoax" says increasingly nervous man for the tenth time this year.
/r/in the ebin meme

Except that it in all probability won't. I am far more inclined to believe that the barely discernable thrust is the result of an uncontrolled error than I am to believe it is actually generating thrust.

>violates the laws of physics
But it doesn't.

Have you actually watched the video where he is asked this question directly and answers it?

Strange that this uncontrollable error keeps coming back in separate experiments around the world, and disappears when removing the shaped part of the vessel.

That is the thing with uncontrolled errors in an experimental setup: if the error is uncontrolled and originates in the design of the experiment (i.e. an unaccounted for coupling) they should consistently appear. Also, who else is reporting results in the same neighborhood as Eagleworks? Last I had looked, everyone that reported a thrust had wildly different results.

>acquires thrust
>emits no radiation or matter
>some babble about wave interference destroying microwaves

So what source of electricity is there in space that would make the meme drive worthwhile?

Massive solar arrays? But what about when going into deep space and the sun doesn't shine as bright.... What about when space clouds are blocking the sun?

10 years from now there will still be meme drive threads arguing that it's only a couple of months away from taking us to the nearest stars.

>arxiv.org/abs/1505.04254

A blue laser of 2.28x10^4mW propelled the graphene sponge 40cm. That's 22.8N/0.001m^2. 1m^2 of graphene could absorb 22,800N, and this would elevate it 40cm in a 9.81m/s gravity well. Consider that many, many square meters can be placed in a very small volume - human lungs have about 50m^2. The electrons have to go somewhere - why not out of a funnel?

What happens when you use a stronger laser, and power it with a nuclear reactor? A spacecraft moved by endogenously produced light, leaving behind a trail of electrons.

>Veeky Forums will last another 10 years
I don't know how I feel about this.

>1.2 +/- 0.1 mN/Kw

bump

It's not that hard to explain: Reality is the sum of all perception generated by the post-multi-personality-disorder-split of God's mind (Humanity) - everything is a lie or misconception until it isn't. Stop holding back science with your pessimism.

then you make multijunction photovoltaics with josephson junctions. higher efficiency.

>It doesn't mean that it was ever wrong to be skeptical

HA

you mean the rampant shitposting on Veeky Forums about how it was physically impossible and should be ignored and everyone who believes it works is retarded? go fuck yourself. you're the same person back in those first threads who made the simplest mistake of them all. The idea that somehow theory disproves observation, not the other way around.

>you mean the rampant shitposting on Veeky Forums about how it was physically impossible and should be ignored and everyone who believes it works is retarded? go fuck yourself. you're the same person back in those first threads who made the simplest mistake of them all. The idea that somehow theory disproves observation, not the other way around.
This. I thought I was alone, there were so many anti-science nerd-culture faggots - damn the creators of Le Big Bang Theory and all the actors/writers/other-evil-cunts involved in it's creation. The plebs don't deserve to know enough to argue and be taken seriously, they almost cost us the fucking stars.

Couldn't have put it better myself user

they are the same people who think ufos belong on /x/

because radar reports astronaut and pilot testimonials and video footage isn't real. just accept that people are retarded and can't think for themselves and get on with your life

>info comes from "only for the comment to be quickly deleted."
>on a forum

This is like getting your news in youtube comments.

It is wrong and it isn't peer reviewed. There's no paper in the OP, there's only a deleted comment rumor from a 4th party about a 3rd party about a scientist who "might" have made a peer reviewed paper that isn't even published yet which may never be published, if it exists, because it may not pass the requirements to be published.

Anti-science shill.

We could use Veeky Forums to power a meme drive thread drive

>great we got some shitty ion drive mark 2 but we need to rewrite physics because of it

It doesn't work and even if it did it would cause more problems than solve so it's a waste to dabble in it.

>It doesn't work and even if it did it would cause more problems than solve so it's a waste to dabble in it.
The whole point of the story is that it does work, you were wrong and you should feel like a faggot.

>it doesn't work
I thought they already tested it and managed to generate thrust and that the only meme about it is that they don't know how to explain it?

>If my sophomore level of science can't explain it, it doesn't exist

There's your answer.

Appeal to authority

NASA is the authority, pleb. Rhetorical skills (which you lack in spite of your belief in having them) are meaningless - an "appeal to authority" is only even a piece of rhetoric used by social justice faggots and hippies assuming their feelings are equal to facts.

>NASA is the authority
yeah exactly. thats the point

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

>MemeDrive Passed Peer Review

Only it didn't. There's no released paper, no peer review. Nothing. Just rumor of a rumor of a deleted post.

You mean "pro-science". What you want is anti-science because you don't want proper peer reviewing. This thread is just about a clickbait popsci article. Nothing more.

faggots were still crying about it being fake after legit labs all over the fucking world built working modes.

>people screaming it's fake

you're like the assholes who drive around wikipedia doing nothing but point out where stuff needs to be sourced, but never actually editing the articles yourself or finding sources yourself.suck yourselves.

Reading comprehension isn't your thing, is it?

well, what did I miss? How did you not make an appeal to authority?