Is going to college for mathematics even worth it?

Is going to college for mathematics even worth it?
Is there even any jobs that you can get hired at that pay a good salary?

statistician, also called "data scientist"

it all depends user.
Do you want to be a teacher? The short answer is that math teachers make shit money unless they're at a big college/uni, which means you need a phd and tenure.

Do you want to bust your ass? Then it can pay off bigger with less school. A math degree makes any other scientific degree you get look awesome because they almost universally synergize well. Alternatively, you could get "just" a math degree, and during school bust your ass using math and a programming language (Python, Matlab, R, Haskell, FORTRAN) to model shit like waves or food cooking or whatever. Keep your work in a blog or github. Employers will see you git gud and want to hire you.

Even if you don't get both degrees at the same time, having both will look very good.

The last option is to get a degree, then get a job, like a clerk, at an engineering company of some kind. Your managers will be highly interested when they learn you have a math degree.

Obligatory image.

Anyways, if you are even asking this question then just don't. Don't get a degree in math. What gives it so much value is the fact that for every math grad there are 20 engineers, 5 physicists, 5000 biologists, 10 chemists and 200 computer scientists.

Don't devalue my degree with your lower IQ.

Accountants and consultants make bank for low level math skills but little room improvement. Otherwise cyber security or the rat race of getting funding to do research.

I just switched from CS to applied math. Best decision in my life.

Go into Applied Math. Don't fall for the Pure Math meme. Shit is fucking useless.

You can become a statistician, an Acturary, or do basic physics/engineering if you take more physics/engineering classes. You can also go into finance.

I'm planning on becoming a Quant or an Acturary.

Really? Could you elaborate?

stfu the research done in pure math just doesn't have a use yet physicists and engineers will apply it one day!

The classes are more enjoyable for me and you can easily get a CS job without a CS degree if you self-teach and make a GitHub/blog but you can't really do that with math.

Getting a pure math degree is akin to getting a philosophy degree

>5000 biologists

kek

>not doing both and transcending human limits to become unto a god of Math
sciencefags will never understand

I studied applied math for undergrad and started working in geophysics straight out of college making around $85k. Now I have a phd in geophysics and I make more.

Math and physics don't teach any skill that people are willing to pay you for. However, they teach you how to learn new skills extremely quickly and push them beyond existing limits. So you can choose to go into finance, telecommunications, or aerospace engineering and, although you will start at the bottom, you will be able to pick up that shit quickly and surpass everyone else.

>Only 70% of mathematicians are math majors
I was expecting more like 95% desu.

So it seems I can use the degree in many different areas and still make really good pay.

Don't be a cuck. Get math+anything else.

Math for fun, "anything else" for job opportunities.

>Get math+anything else.
Why, when math degree + anything else self-study will get you the same job?

lol no

lol yes

Don't get a pure math degree. I learned the hard way. Instead focus on "Statistics","Software Engineering" or "Data Science". These specializations matter far more than pure math.

Having a pure math degree puts you in a weird bucket where you don't quite qualify for almost any job due to the lack of experience/skill sets required for most jobs, yet you aren't a retard.

So if you apply for a job at a tech company you aren't qualified to be a code monkey so you'd have to either know statistics to do data analytics or convince them you can learn very quickly. In the end code monkeys will be seen more valuable than you and make much more than you, despite potentially being less intelligent.

Stay away from pure math

Is it median pay per year?

Did pure maths (MMath) at a top university (UK), plenty of jobs in finance for pure maths grads. You can always take a few econ/finance modules if needed.

Why would a financial institution want some fag that knows algebraic geometry over someone that knows applications of PDE, more than one integral transform, and other subjects such as Linear Programming, or Cryptology.

Pure math is a meme, kid.

Because rich finance people don't know the difference. They see math on your resume and hire you.