Who is the greatest mathematician of the 20th century/

name 1 person...thats all

Srinivasa Ramanujan

i would put Grothendieck over Ramanujan to be honest

C V Sukumar

Oiler

Grothendieck had the benefit of literally more than 50 years of living that Ramanujan didn't have. I concede Grothendieck has a larger volume of work. Ramanujan seems, to me, like a 20th century Euler. Ramanujan just had a short life.

perelman

None of Ramanujan's work was as important as Grothendieck's. Even his brief time with functional analysis was more fruitful.

What does "important" mean in the realm of math anyway?

I don't mean to sound like a dick. I'm genuinely curious why something like proving or disproving Fermat's Last Theorem is "important".

John Von Neumann

Who else lol.

Invented the computer architecture used in all electronics to this day? Check
Invented game theory? Check
100% eiditic memory? Check
Extremely fast and immensely complex mental math? Check
>9000 scientific achievements? Check
True polymath? Check
Saved the world from russian domination? Check
IQ > 220? Check
Practical joker? Check
Einstein hated him? Check
Godel had him solve his toughest math problems? Check
Likely the smartest man to ever live? Check

100% peerless math god and unbounded universal genius who will not be seen again for ~500-1000 years? Check check check

Well, that example shows that the tools we've developed are powerful enough to solve a problem that eluded mathematicians for centuries. It's a sign of great progress as a community.

This is not what Grothendieck did. He revolutionized the very basic way we approached fields, shifting the focus to new objects and relationships and then showing this to be fruitful.

In this age, in past ages, in any age, Von Neumann.

surprised no one has said einstein yet seing ass he one-upped everything made by newton

Literally made me tear up

I stopped caring about algebraic geometry when I was introduced to the concept of etale cohomology. What a crock of shit. If the Weil conjectures can only be proved by invoking some mythical "Grothendieck universe" that can't exist, then you're fucking wrong and the math is flawed.

Died believing in the Christian God. Check.

Atiyah.
>yfw

Stefan Banach

Einstein was not a mathematician. And Hilbert would have easily beaten him on this light if he was (and still Hilbert wouldn't be regarded as the greatest of the 20th century).

you have no idea what you are talking about

GROTHENDIEK
MASTER
RACE

Is Grothendiek ? unchecked ffs
Von Neumann irrevocably definitely BTFO forever

john nash, he waz kewl :3 xD

>ctrl+f
>"galois"
>0 results

Died like a total boss too

huh, never thought about it that way. guess you're right!

ebin troll dude

Important is a value judgement. If mathematicians think something important, for whatever reason they like, then it's important to mathematics.

thx man

This desu

Michio Kaku

the truth is we just dont know

it could be anything, even god

if i looked at a wall for around 10 billion years there is a chance for a brief moment i would be able to see through it

god gave us a wonderful toolbox called mathematics

wow, amazing

Provide the measure you would like this decision to be made off of first.

This

No.

We are talking about the 19th century, slut.

Neil degrasse Tyson

>be overrated

check em

>20th century
you massive idiot

With what motivation did Von Neumann go into set theory??

Under the Hungarian system, children received all their education at the one gymnasium. Despite being run by the Lutheran Church, the majority of its pupils were Jewish.[16] The school system produced a generation noted for intellectual achievement, that included Theodore von Kármán (b. 1881), George de Hevesy (b. 1885), Leó Szilárd (b. 1898), Eugene Wigner (b. 1902), Edward Teller (b. 1908), and Paul Erdős (b. 1913).[17] Collectively, they were sometimes known as Martians.[18] Wigner was a year ahead of von Neumann at the Lutheran School.[19] When asked why the Hungary of his generation had produced so many geniuses, Wigner, who won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1963, replied that von Neumann was the only genius.[20]

nice

This guy.

>20th century

>Implying Gauss isn't a time traveller who went back in time to teach himself all the math, creating an infinitely recursive time loop.

Gauss is the greatest mathematician of any century.