Learning latin

Do any Veeky Forums anons know any resources for learning Latin?

Are there any anons that can speak/read Latin? If so how did you go about practicing it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D41CAfmy3lQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I can speak and read Latin.

How did you go about learning and practicing it?

Have you ever learned a second language before?

I've learned a little German, but never a dead language that relatively few people speak.

Well it's hard as tbqh famalam.

The meme answer is to study with a combination of Wheelock for a comprehensive grammatical foundation and Lingua Latina for teaching you how to read properly.

Cheers user I'll check those out. Are there any sites/forums that post in Latin?

How's your grasp of grammatical concepts (clause types, participles, moods, temporal aspect, etc)? If at least fairly strong, I'd recommend Moreland/Fleischer's intensive course. Concise but comprehensive. You'd probably want to study it with a dictionary, however, since it doesn't delve all that deeply into certain vocab nuances (e.g. anima vs animus).

IDK, if there are they're probably just filled with faggots and bad Latin anyways.

Do it the tried and true way and start with Caesar after you learn the basics. I mean you are learning Latin to read the classics not to read some dumbass meme on a shitty forum.

Agree with, but if you really wish: latindiscussion.com/forum/

>How's your grasp of grammatical concepts (clause types, participles, moods, temporal aspect, etc)?

Pretty shit actually. I'm covering those sorts of things in "Getting started with Latin" by W. Linney. It has already covered the vocab nuances you referenced.

>Do it the tried and true way and start with Caesar after you learn the basics. I mean you are learning Latin to read the classics not to read some dumbass meme on a shitty forum.

Touche, I've grabbed an Interlinear copy of "Gallic War".

Thanks.

Also if like learning by watching videos, this guy has a channel where he teaches his class from Wheelock and he has videos for chapters 4 - 23.
He hasn't done a new one in 4 months but the ones he does have should last you a while.

youtube.com/watch?v=D41CAfmy3lQ

Sweet, those books aren't cheap, and my local libraries don't have any.

don't just use wheelock. use lingua latina. pirate it and listen to the audio of the book all day while you're reading it. also use fucking anki.

es stultus puer qui scit nihil

Haven't been able to find it via alternate means you described.

That was my first port of call.

Lingua Latina is a fine meme and all but if you don't go through an actual big boy grammar at some point you're gonna have a bad time.

thats what i'm saying, use both. memorize everything in wheelock and then withdraw and become lingua latina

What is Veeky Forums's opinion on Kennedy's Latin Primer?

latin library (google it) has everything you need to learn latin

worksheets explaining conjugation, vocab lists...

get the textbooks the webmaster uses for his course and you can literally self-teach up to reading classics.

lingua latina seems heavily geared towards developing sight-reading skills.

it's probably a perfect text for intro latin, students will come away with a general knowledge of grammar which they can recognize occurring in their reading. they can hit a proper grammar later.

>get the textbooks the webmaster uses for his course

Any idea where to find those?

It would be "...qui scis nihil," retard. Since qui's antecedent is 2nd person, qui is too.
OP, you've gotten a lot of meme answers here, which is to be expected since this is Veeky Forums. Here is the best way to learn Latin:

Your best initial resource will be Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata. Meme books like Wheelock's, &c. will only teach you to decode Latin like it's a puzzle and translate what you read into English. You've said you've learned some German, so I'm sure you realize how ineffective that is really to learn a language. LLPSI is great because it will teach you to understand Latin as a language, not as a cipher. One weakness of LLSPI is its lack of hard grammatical teaching; the best way to remedy this is not Wheelock's, as the memes would have you believe, but instead "Latine Disco," a manual written by Oerburg specifically to accompany LLPSI. LD explains all the grammatical concepts in English, in the order they are presented in LLPSI.

One warning about LLPSI is that there is a huge jump in difficulty between book 1 and book 2, so it may behoove you to read some of the intermediate readers in the same collection after book 1 (e.g. Satyricon and Fabulae Syrae). If your only goal is to read Latin in Latin you are done.

As regards speaking, there are a couple avenues you can take. You could try finding some buddies on Skype or something to chat with, but that could take a long time and would be difficult to find skilled partners. Probably the best way is to attend one of University of Kentucky's summer conventicula, which are weeklong seminars for spoken Latin aimed at first-time speakers. The professors who run it are very good at what they do.

I read Latin pretty well but can't write for shit.

I learned because I grew up in a Catholic orphanage surrounded by Jesuits and going to Latin mass.

I can't figure out how he sets up the site, but if you google "latin library handouts" or "latin library syllabus" you get to the webmasters course materials.

He uses lingua latina for 1-2 semesters and fabulae graecae for 3-4 semesters.

>english syntax in latin sentence

nigga wtf is this shit

In culo cinaedi istius tot mentulae insunt ut mens eius claudatur.

Not OP but currently about halfway through LLPSI and 1/3 through an old school Latin textbook that's heavy on grammar and loaded with exercises.

>If your only goal is to read Latin in Latin you are done.

This touches on something I've been wondering: Does wrapping up LLPSI volumes 1 & 2, and, presumably, understanding the grammar and maintaining a grasp on the vocabulary in those volumes, leave you ready to just jump into any Latin text? Are the only remaining obstacles new vocabulary and stylistic differences in grammar?

It seems fairly logical that this would indeed be the case once you've locked down major declensions, conjugations, main irregular verbs, and a backbone of vocabulary; however this is my first attempt at formally learning a second language, so I'm really not sure.

Thanks!

Theoretically yes in the sense that you will have learned 90% of the grammatical structures and everything in Latin works; LLPSI book 2 is mostly selections from unadapted Latin works. You may need practice to read some of the most difficult texts, esp. of later/earlier Latin authors that diverge greatly from Classical conventions, but otherwise you should be fine.

>Not taking up Latin in highschool

lmao plebs

I'll have to see if I can find a copy of LLPSI then instead of going the Wheelock route.

Lingua Latina per se Illustrata pars 1 Familia Romana

You will learn latin easily with that.

Just so you know, 99% of the people recommending Lingua Latina in this thread can not read a word of Latin.

Just learn big English words

Are you saying that Lingua Latina is bad or that Veeky Forums is full of memers?

Non dicis veritatem. Familia Romana erat mihi liber optimus pro discendum linguam Latinam.

Rideo hoc legens, nam, etsi Familiam Romanam bonam aestimo, male erroribusque scribitur quod scripsisti.

Isn't the idea of Lingua Latina that it's written in easy to read Latin?

Frater, erras scribendo 'bonam' ante verbum 'aestimare'; est utendum casui genetivo ibi, videlicet 'aestimo boni' aut 'magni', et nominatur 'casum genetivum qualitatis'.

Go to Google Play Books and download any free 'Latin practical grammars'. I have Adler, Peithman, D'Ooge, and others this way.

Just completed Latin at school, and going on to hopefully do a joint honours in Classics and English here. The last year has been practically self taught because school were too shitty to fund a teacher.

You'll want a copy of Kennedys Latin Primer, which will have tables and explanations for every single construction of nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives etc.

Then you'll want a copy of Wheelock's Latin. It's a fat book but if you read every single chapter, copy out EVERY SINGLE TABLE or important piece of information you see, and complete both the "Practice and Review" and "Sententiae Antiquae" sections of every chapter, you should get a really good grasp of the language. You can't mark those sections at the back but there are plenty of solution banks online if you just type in the bit you're trying to translate in google.

Lastly, you'll want a copy of Writing Latin by James Morwood. Once you're perhaps 20 chapters or so into Wheelock, you want to start working on that. Complete every section, take necessary notes and complete Exercise A from every chapter. A working knowledge of Prose Composition is absolutely essential to truly grasping Latin grammar. Make sure to buy the Key in a separate book though, although the Key is a guide, and there are many correct answers. Your best bet is to get a good Latinist to read everything you write.

Once you've finished all these you can get yourself some higher level textbooks of unseens, and you may want to approach harder texts with a translation side by side. A lot of higher level Latin work is essay work on prepared literature, as opposed to unseen translations.

One more thing, get the SPQR app. It's filled with tonnes of literature, a couple of textbooks, a couple of dictionaries and also a parser (ie, you type in any word and it will decline/conjugate it for you and define it).

t. Latinist who loves his subject and got an interview at Oxford

Romanes eunt domus

Cool, thanks user.

>Your best bet is to get a good Latinist to read everything you write.
Are there any online that would read what I write?

>Are there any online that would read what I write?
I've never known any, I've just had to randomly email my teacher and hope she replies in time. Having said that, if you live near a university you may be able to email a classics tutor there and see if they will check your work, or if they can refer you to someone else who will.

Quid mihi modo dixisti, tu canicula?

This is sound advice.

Latin teacher here. Schools have no clue about Latin and generally think it okay to rope the Spanish or French teachers into doing it; this inevitably ends badly for all concerned.

The only thing missing here is:

> practise
> every
> single
> day

I'm in Aus, so I'll be amazed if there's a classics tutor. I'll just email abroad I guess.

Yeh, I try to spend at least 30mins reading a day. The book I have makes it feel like I'm making progress.

>Ego sum nauta. Sum semper optico et Stellae et Luna.
(Literally my first attempt at writing a Latin sentence)

PEOPLE CALLED ROMANS THEY GO THE 'OUSE?!

Wheelock's perfectly fine for Latin. Just get the Workbook; Scribblers, Sculptors, and Scribes; and Wheelock's Latin Reader as well. For some reason the other books in the series are ignored which makes people think Wheelock's worse. Wheelock works well for self-study.

I'd also recommend A Little Latin Reader, published by Oxford.

For speaking, you're going to want an instructor. Otherwise, check out latintutorial and Evan der Millner on YouTube.

Discas bene, frater.

There is nothing better than using Latin, translating a sentence is like cracking a little code.

One tiny tip: you don't need to use pronouns like 'ego', when it's obvious who is the 'sailor'. Just
> Nauta sum
would convey the same 'I am a sailor'

You would use 'ego' or 'tu' or whatever, if you're contrasting 'yourself' against someone else.
> *I* am a sailor, but *you* are a farmer
> Ego nauta, verum tu es agricola

Cambridge latin course. It's what I used in school, and since the latin "teacher" knew very little actual latin, she just made us do everything out of the books. Work through the translations, take notes from the grammar pages and test yourself on the vocab.

>Otherwise, check out latintutorial and Evan der Millner on YouTube.

I'll check that out.

>There is nothing better than using Latin, translating a sentence is like cracking a little code.
>One tiny tip: you don't need to use pronouns like 'ego', when it's obvious who is the 'sailor'. Just
That's one of my favourite parts about Latin, there's no superfluous text (when you remember you can cut extra).

Neat.

Pronunciation is over-rated for a beginner. A naive pronunciation could be used for an entire lifetime without trouble.

Same with stress/accent and long/short vowels. Just ignore them until you're at a certain competence, then retrace your steps.

Ancient Greek is the same. There is no point in struggling with oxytones and dieresis, when struggling with 250 verb forms.

If you want to cut more text, you can use 'que' instead of 'et', joined to the second word

> stars and moon
> stellas et lunam
> stellas lunamque

I had fun learning pronunciation, but I can understand most people wouldn't enjoy it.

Sweet! I haven't learned 'que' yet though. At least I've been exposed to it now!

Yeah I'm learning so I can read. It would be cool to be able to speak Latin, but in Australia there aren't many people that speak a 2nd language, let alone a dead 2nd language.