Human Bipedalism

How did it develop? Were we knuckle-walkers who stood up, or suspensory apes who came down? Were we waders or root-pullers? Was it open woodlands or the savanna?

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100319202526.htm
m.phys.org/news/2013-12-human-ancestor-less-chimp-like-thought.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Our closest relative os the chimpanzee, so we came from knuckle walkers. Eventually, mutations arose that shaped our physiology to stand taller, which allowed them to survive better and reproduce. Things continued to go that way until we became fully bipedal

As for the environment, I'm not totally sure, but humans evolved in Africa, which contained/contains many biomes. But most likely forest, based off the natural habitat of chimpanzees and other related apes

What about Ardi? She doesn't seem to have the long metatarsals that chimps or bonobos do, and seems to have a more bipedally-oriented pelvis.

I'm not familiar with what Ardi is, so maybe I'm missing something but: what about Ardi? It seems like you just described an intermediate evolutionary form, proving what I described

I'm saying that its arms and hands are ill-suited for knuckle-walking locomotion, and its pelvis seems more weight-bearing for a biped as opposed to a quadruped. In other words, the LCA seems less chimp-like and more humanoid (to an extent).

This guy is right. The great apes/their ancestors came first, and they're all knuckle-walkers. We evolved to be bipedal. Some theories as for why are to better hold tools or to cross rivers easier. I personally don't find either of those explanations satisfactory, but we did evolve somehow.

As for this, I don't know what you're asking. If its less chimp-like and more humanoid, its an intermediate stage. I don't see the problem.

>great apes and their ancestors knuckle-walked
What is the orangutan? Also, there is little to no evidence that Miocene apes have ever knuckle-walked. In fact, some suggest that knuckle-walking developed independently in chimps and gorillas, meaning the LCA most likely didn't walk like either of them.

The tree dwellers that humans came from were also bipeds.

lol if evolution is real why dont apes give birth to humans now

If humans gave birth to the internet, then what are you?

i am internets

That is a very bold claim that requires some serious evidence

They do. Human apes give birth to human children

It's a gradual process.
Cats for example can do that for a while, if natural selection favored those who can do it better it would start a process that eventually would lead to bipedal cats.

Seems resaonable when you take Pierolapithecus and Ardipithecus into account, not to mention Orrorin and Sahelanthropus.

sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100319202526.htm

Do we know if the tendency to stand like that is a trait that could be selectively bred for? I wonder how many generations until naturally bipedal walking cats.

Wow, I did not read your post at all.

>Were we knuckle-walkers
What do you mean by "we", Subhuman?

Any phenotypically expressed trait can be selectively bred for. But it takes hundreds of generations in most cases, because most mutations only cause slight changes in an organism. In theory, if a chimp suddenly got a shit ton of mutations that shifted it's foramen magnum and restructured it's hip, that process would take a lot less time. But it's unlikely that that would happen. So evolution really comes down to generation time, rate of mutation, and severity of mutations.

Bump with Orrorin.

Ardipithecus was fully bipedal and she lived in the woods, not a savannah where she needed to "see over grass".

Why we are bipedal is anyone's guess.

Most likely a trait carried over from Pierolapithecus and its descendants. I think they address it as a "orthograde aboreal bipedality."

*biped

Of course we can't be totally sure, but world class experts in evolutionary biology think it was to see over grass and free the hands for carrying tools. You think you know more than them?

You realize it's an even split when it comes to that idea, right. Half think it's the savanna hypothesis, and the other half think we were always bipedal, just in a different way.
m.phys.org/news/2013-12-human-ancestor-less-chimp-like-thought.html