Impressing a professor

I'm in college pre-Calc and want to impress my professor by asking a question about inter-universal teichmüller theory in class. What should I ask, Veeky Forums?

"How can I cope with my autism"

You impress your professor by being a good student, not asking some gay shit that is beyond the scope of the class.

If you're a female, you can impress him by gaping your asshole and sticking a large gummy worm in there.

They are just going to say "what is that?"

Unless your prof was at the conference, they don't know and probably don't care. Don't look like an elitist sperg if you ever want to get pussy at all. You're already on Veeky Forums. Don't make the problem worse.

OP here.

This is a pretty advanced pre-calc class. Our prof even aims to cover an introduction to limits, so I don't think this is too far out of the question

Yes, and thus I will establish my intellectual superiority. I'm only in this pre-calc class cause I didn't try in high school, whatever

>This is a pretty advanced pre-calc class. Our prof even aims to cover an introduction to limits, so I don't think this is too far out of the question
Hope you are being sarcastic

>my intellectual superiority
>in precalc class
>inb4 bait

? pre-calc doesn't usually get to limits...

Well if you know limits u probably have enough background to go and study IUT for yourself anyway

you will probably best impress them by asking about a question that will come up later in the class early. it makes you look like you were studying ahead

50/50 i'd say

he's either impressed or he isnt

Oh my god you're being serious
Let me try to explain: inter-universal teichmüller theory is a thesis is pure mathematics, and is light-years away from calculus-level mathematics. Try to research about the different study fields there are in pure maths.
It doesn't make sense for someone who is not deeply involved in maths (specifically pure maths, wich is probably VERY different from what you might think mathematicians study) to try to discuss such subjects. Somethings can not be transformed into pop-science (specially pure maths) because they are simply not accessible to someone who is not in the field.
If you try to discuss this with anyone you will probably just embarrass yourself, because the maths you study or even know of right now ( like college calc)is 0.0000000001% of the maths you need to understand modern pure maths. Probably your professor is not familiarized with the subject as well.

I've been reading the paper and am a bit confused. I don't see any trig or algebra

So what you're saying is my prof is a brainlet? I kinda thought so. Today we were doing the cosine addition formulas and he accidentally messed up the signs.

really makes you think

Ask him to explain the significance of triple integrals in the Barnett identity.

I don't want to embarrass him. Is it true that nobody fully understands the Barnett identity? that's what i've read

Fucking kek

P=NP
I'm having a bit of trouble with this problem.
Can you give me a hand?

P - NP = 0,
P(1 - N) = 0,
P = 0 or N = 1.

This. Wtf? That's not even algebra 1, like that's pre-algebra.

Fucking brainlet

Professors almost always get annoyed to some degree whenever some jack-off undergrad student asks some asinine question that is far beyond the scope of the course being taught. I remember in one of my freshman classes, after one student asked a chain of questions that had nothing to do with the course and were obviously intended to make the student sound smarter, the professor simply told the kid to stop asking pointless questions in fromt of the entire class. The obnoxious cunt never asked another question.

If you aren't prepared to explain it in detail don't fucking mention it.

It uses letters so it's algebra, brainlet.

OP, don't listen to the haters ITT. Just wait until the prof starts talking about logarithms, and then ask if they have anything to do with log-theta lattices of [math] \Theta^{\pm ell}[/math] NF-Hodge structures. I guarantee he will be super impressed.

This. Also make sure you offer to use BOTH hands to jack him off.

This is really good advice, thanks.

I'm thinking of scheduling a meeting with the department head to ask if I can lead a research team into understanding and perhaps improving Mochizuki's work. How should I formally go anout doing this?

don't forget to mention the Frobenioid

I warn you, if your professor is not a retard, he will not be impressed by the questions you ask, for this reason you are doing here.

But he will likely test your knowledge how you can actually apply all that, then you'd be in deep shit.

Just focus on the tests, getting a job, on what's important rather than on bullshit like this.

Are you really being serious here? As others said, there's a lot of difference between pre calc and IUT. It if better for you to stick to your curriculum and ask relevant questions based on your course. You are not only making yourself look like an idiot but wasting other students time.

Im hoping it will cause him to write me a strong letter of rec for when I apply to grad school.

Meet with him or an analyst colleague a couple weeks prior for an extensive discussion of Kaczynski's work. Make sure you know it back to front. The department will be so surprised they'd have to be fools not to give you your own research group. Subtly alluding to this point will be helpful.

You might even say there's a *universe* of difference

I'm all for good bait but this is way too obvious

Srsly, limits are the easiest shit, im a high school student, whos bad at math and i know that.

Learn advanced shit before you talk shit, he is gonna ask you about it and you wont know shit

Talk him about the Monty-Python problem.

I keep hearing about inter-universal teichmüller theory on the popsci section of an international hamster farming image board..

What is inter-universal teichmüller theory and can I get gud by learning it?

Quality bait

don't forget to lube up

Fuck you guys that do this.

Can you please record it when you do it?

My high-school precalc course covered derivatives lol

Big fan of the big K. His work in Explosive Mail Theory blew the field wide open. I'll be sure to reference his ideas in my meeting

Look idk what this means, if you don't have anything helpful to say or if Mochizuki's work is beyond you, I recommend looking for a job at McDonalds

Stop.

Faculty does not give a fuck about you unless you're popping out papers for them.

Stop caring.

Ok congrats on going to some rich kid school. Not all of us have that opportunity

Until you're taking abstract algebra and analysis, your fucking job in undergrad math is to get As.

Show up to class, ask RELEVANT questions on the material, then shut the fuck up and study.

Want to impress your professor? Get As and keep your goddamn mouth shut

I've already taken algebra and analysis (some schools call pre-Calc analysis). Got Bs and As every semester.

if you are so smart why are you in precalc

Ok thanks for the condescension big guy

Because I was lazy and didn't try in high school...

You know that you have to be 18+ to post on Veeky Forums, right? If you are 18 right now, when the high school year starts, then that means you have been held back a grade at some point in your life, in which case you really have nothing to be proud of for taking a class that is skipping to next year's material.

>smart but lazy meme
sorry user you're dumb

My university doesn't even offer pre-calc courses, lel.

This is good, good shit.

I'm a freshman in college, for your information.

I actually am not. I was tested when I was 5, and they said it was best if they don't tell me my score or else it would make me feel different (meaning I was way higher than average)

Greatest bait of all time.

I lived in the sticks and learned integrals in high school

So you know Riemann integrals, can you prove the Riemann Hypothesis? No? Then stfu braggart

i always enjoy layers of sarcasm
>but i'm an attention-whore enough to point it out
>killme

>mfw derivatives and integrals are mandatory in high school maths in my country
Ferls good.

This is incredible bait, OP. Great job.

This. OP managed to balance the line between full-on trolling and this strange but somehow believable retardedness that just keeps nagging you at the back of your head: 'What if such autism actually exists"? But he blew it. Sorry, OP.

Look is there anything wrong with ambition? I see a mountain, I climb it.

Mochizuki's paper is my Everest. Is it so wrong to want to organize a group of professionals to try to dissect it? Not even I can go it alone.

This

asking in class about advanced subjects beyond the scope of the class is instantly recognized as trying to sound smart.

ITT: jealous spergs who don't know precalculitic IUTT is the ticket to 300k starting

That's the point. I need to prove my intellect and get him to write me a letter of rec for grad school.

>I see a mountain, I climb it.
>Mochizuki's paper is my Everest.
please sir the cringe is making me uncomfortable

Sorry my passions and goals and motivations make you uncomfortable.

>limits are advanced
You better be doing delta epsilon proofs user, even then...You don't have much of a case.

>"prove my intellect"

Jesus Christ just engage in conversation with the man and treat him with respect, together with not acting like a total ass and you'll get a letter of recommendation. It's not like he's going to risk his "reputation" and recommend someone he doesn't know.

alsoo, lolprecalc. Man are you going to hate life when you realize you're not a special snowflake.

newfags aways bite

He's not risking his reputation. I've gotten an A on every test or quiz so far (minus this one inverse trig function quiz but that was bullshit) and have no reason to think my success won't continue.

I've been conducting independent research on epsilon-delta theory. My goal is to use it as my dissertation. Just need my break in the math department.

>Yes, and thus I will establish my intellectual superiority.

Which will make your teacher dislike you incredibly.

hehe yes please video this and put it up on yt, please.

Please take note of this, all. This is how bait should look. Notice how this actually sounds like something a retard would say.

Ask if you can use a probability distribution for limits in calculating a volume.

If your brain can even comprehend what that even means.

Asking a question posed by someone else is retarded because you don't have any self investment into the question ask.

So fuck off actually, if you're pining so much to appear smart to your fucking prof then figure something out yourself holy fuck I am triggered by this masterful bait.

kek

>advanced pre-calc

"advanced"

10/10, quality lulz.

Go vegan and climb the Everest please, we don't need your cleverness here.

If you really can do what you've stated then why try to impress a pre-Calc teacher? Just ask him about the theory in private, or is it that you are just trying to show off to your friends so they can see past your uber autism?

It doesn't make any sense. Someone with enough intelligence would go to said teacher's boss and schedule a meeting so you can skip a few courses through an exam.

I'm pretty sure you just watched a Numberphile video and thought you might impress Veeky Forums but you won't, this just makes you look stupid. Fuck off.

What did he mean by this?

>bootlickers
world would have been better place without you

>I actually am not. I was tested when I was 5, and they said it was best if they don't tell me my score or else it would make me feel different (meaning I was way higher than average)

You do know that actually means you are retarded, right?

Nice bait m8

I don't follow.

Thanks for the review

jesus christ im sorry man but this mans right. They would not withhold a excellent score. Have you been tested for autism or anything? I dont want to be a dick or anything but damn..

kek

>look how smart I am, we are even covering limits in pre calc
I know exactly the kind of student you are, and you are an autist.

Not that I know of. I was home-schooled so wasn't social much but here at Uni I've already asked out like 6 girls

oh my kek

autist confirmed

We need more of this and less of HEY SCI GLOBAL WARMING DOESN'T EXIST.

Thanks m8.

He's at least two more classes away from being ready.

Does every child have to go to that level?

I often hear this criticism of countries that don't require entry calculus for all students but usually the people saying it have already had a big bulk of their young population diverted into the workforce of some other educational path.

Serious question.

I'm really not autistic okay. DONT call me autistic. I'm serious. DONT.

autistic fag