Hi Veeky Forums, my brother is totally in over his head on a physics major. He doesn't know basic derivative rules...

Hi Veeky Forums, my brother is totally in over his head on a physics major. He doesn't know basic derivative rules, and it looks like this problem utilizes the product rule. Although it may break a rule of the board to ask for homework help, I am hopeful that someone genuinely interested in doing the problem will engage and mods will let it slide.

tl;dr
pls halp

Nah

fuck you OP

take the first and second derivatives for a and b
if he doesn't know how to do that, tell him to learn how to first

nice trips but how would you take the derivative here? to break it down further, how would you do the derivative of just the first term? -1.20m/s^4

>physics

Just take the derivative. Once for velocity, twice for acceleration.

there is no way you or he is in university.

he would have needed around an 80 in physics and other sciences to even meet the prerequisites for a physics major, which includes calculus.

this is a problem you'd encounter on the first week of highschool calculus.

d/dx(4x^2) = 8x

learn math

dont do his homework for him user

did you really just redirect me to the paranormal board for physics help? or should i just plug the problem into my fucking ouija board?

hence why i said he is in over his head. he is in uni, i am not though. i know how to do derivatives, but do the rules change when you have m/s^4 or jerk involved? does jerk turn into jounce when you take the derivative? i'm just not familiar with having units like that involved

at least he put some effort into asking, but yeah a quick google would be much faster and more informative for foundations.

i'd check out the calculus video series on khan academy, he will go over all of this in great detail.

why the fuck would jerk be involved in a basic derivative problem
this is unit 1 calculus

yeah khan academy is easily the best option right now

nope its just a scalar wrt x, it's units won't change

tell him to try and google/pirate the solution manual for the textbook he's using.

it will make learning/refreshing things infinitely easier having a step by step walkthrough of each problem.

a)
v= -(3.60m/s4)t3 +(5.4m/s2)t
b)
a= -(10.8m/s4)t2 + 5.4m/s2

not my homework its my bros
i dunno dude m/s^4 looked like jerk to me so i guess i overthought it, is it really as simple as just doing the product rule? i just get stuck right here bc i don't know how to work out the derivative of -1.2m/s^4

x' = -1.2(4t^3) + t^4(

you're taking the derivative of x with respect to t.

so: x = at^4 + bt^2 + c
dx/dt = 4at^3 + 2bt + 0

the units of a and b don't change.

"(m/s^4)" and "(m/s^2)" are constants, just ignore them; just worry with the t's.

top blokes

wait. this is partially wrong.
v= -(4.8m/s4)t3 +(5.4m/s2)t
a= -(14.6m/s4)t2 +(5.4m/s2)

OP's brother here. Thanks for the help guys. I'm a college junior who was a Digital Arts major until this semester. I changed my major to Physics and decided to minor in Digital Arts instead. I learned a lot of this shit in high school, but it's been a few years so I'm super rusty. Only the first week of classes, so this'll all become familiar to me soon enough.

Fuck off and die.

Also been a few years since I've been on cancerchan. Good to be back

Thank you, I was doing by head.

best way to review if it's been a few years is khan academy

really? the responses to you were not very specific.

m/s are just units. you can ignore them when you take the derivative.

think of the original equation as x(t) = stuff

homework

Yeah, def need to binge watch that shit this weekend. Thanks for the reminder

i know the feeling

i took differential, integral, and diffEq all 2-3 years apart

it sucks

how the fuck are people coming out of highschool unable to solve that
what the fuck America

Please refer to