Can you guys help me find the left anterior insula on these MRI scan images of my brain?

Can you guys help me find the left anterior insula on these MRI scan images of my brain?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23777939
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Would you say that there's an unusually low volume of gray matter in the left anterior insula than there should normally be in people?

I don't know how to break this to you OP but you're a brainlet. I know this from the pixels and seeing a lot of MRIs in my time.

Sorry op. Take care.

>I don't know how to break this to you OP but you're a brainlet.

Regardless. I am looking for any physical evidence that either confirms or denies that I have Narcissistic Personality Disorder or Antisocial Personality Disorder.

this is now a post your brain thread

IQ 145 reporting

also holy shit MRI's are low resolution but I didn't know it was THAT low. that's retarded.

It's critically low. That patient has about 2-3 years.

IQ 120 (according to the psychologist who tested me, anyway) reporting.

Here's another MRI image of my brain.

>also holy shit MRI's are low resolution but I didn't know it was THAT low. that's retarded.

Actually the program they put on the disc they gave me allows me to "enhance" the images, making them either sharper or smoother.

>It's critically low. That patient has about 2-3 years.

I thought that abnormally low volume of gray matter in the left anterior insula was correlated with partial and/or total lack of empathy in people?

Didn't know it was any indicator of a person being near death.

Why is your skull so thin>

>Actually the program they put on the disc they gave me allows me to "enhance" the images, making them either sharper or smoother.

yeah, they gave me the same thing for but yours looks like fucking shit dude. is that really how it looks? I thought MRI's looked better than that.

Well I'm not sure what you got. Is that an X-ray or CT or what?

Here's another MRI image of my brain. I enhanced it to make the image "softer".

it's the scout scan before a CT scan

that lost some of the quality as well. CT scans are high resolution, and that was a low dose scan.

Man, now I really want to create a .webm of my MRI but I'm too damn lazy to figure out how.

just download webmcan and record it on your screen

Awesome! It worked!

Thanks.

This is pretty cool.

What have you lost your research engineer or something..? Just do a png dump and encode with some unix command line tools like ffmpeg or similar.

It's not visible in this slice. It's in the frontal lobe, buried behind the anterior tip of the temporal lobe.

And since everyone's posting their brain, the T1 in pic related is mine.

anterior is the front, towards the forehead.
you're pretty far back there, jack

We won't be able to tell. There's much more inter-individual variation in gray matter volume that is unrelated to behavioral traits than there is variation related to it. Especially in an associative structure like the insula. Personality disorders don't just boil down to dysfunction in one particular structure, but span a wide variety of brain regions. Accordingly, diagnoses of said disorders are done based on behavior rather than based on anatomy.

I can still help you to find the insula if you'd like, but it's easiest if you post a range of axial slices.

Depends on the resolution of the scanner and the specific sequence. The stronger the magnetic field, the higher the res.

No, that is the precuneal cortex.

Sagittal sections aren't the best way to visualize the insula, dude. The insula is visually obscured as an invagination the inferior frontal lobes and the superior temporal lobes. In sagittal perspective, though, the anterior insula going to be inferior and lateral to the genu of the corpus callosum.

>invagination
hehe

>We won't be able to tell. There's much more inter-individual variation in gray matter volume that is unrelated to behavioral traits than there is variation related to it. Especially in an associative structure like the insula. Personality disorders don't just boil down to dysfunction in one particular structure, but span a wide variety of brain regions.

Well, according to a recent study: patients diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder had smaller gray matter volume in the left anterior insula.

Link:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23777939

>Accordingly, diagnoses of said disorders are done based on behavior rather than based on anatomy.

I am aware. I've already been tested for personality disorders by a psychologist back in July 2016. The psychologist gave me the following written tests to complete:

>Biopsychosocial History Questionnaire
>Client Problem Checklist
>Beck Depression Inventory – 2 (BDI-2)
>Short Depression Scale (SDS)
>Beck Anxiety Inventory (BAI)
>Endler Multiaxial Anxiety Survey – Social Anxiety Scales (EMAS-SAS)
>Shipley Institute of Living Scale
>Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory – 2 (MMPI-2)

The psychologist then diagnosed me with the following disorders:

>Major Depressive Disorder
>Generalized Anxiety Disorder
>Social Anxiety Disorder

The psychologist told me that I don't have a personality disorder, but that I have what he called a "schizotypal personality style" (not "schizotypal personality disorder".)

However, I've read (on the: DSM-5, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, page 671) that:

>Sustained feelings of shame or humiliation and the attendant self-criticism may be associated with social withdrawal, depressed mood, and persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia) or major depressive disorder.

So what I'm trying to figure out now is if my Major Depressive Disorder was caused by Narcissistic Personality Disorder. So now I'm trying to look for any evidence that may support my hypothesis.

All I'm saying is that your MRI scan won't help you find that evidence.

The study you are referring to compares means between populations. To be able to say anything on an individual person level, you need additional statistics that characterize the overlap in the distributions of the two populations.

>Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Psychiatry isn't even a pseudoscience.

I managed to obtain the following images from that article.

Does this help?

This image in particular came with the following caption:

>Visualization of the reported group difference (red) and the positive association of emotional empathy with GM volume (green) as well as the overlap of both effects (blue) in the anterior insula. Results are overlaid on a template provided by MRIcron and the result threshold was set at p < .005 uncorrected for visualization purposes. The scatterplot illustrates the relation between lower levels of self-reported empathic concern and gray matter volume for the left anterior insula. The effects of global GM volume (covariate in the statistical analysis) on local estimates of gray matter volume in the anterior insula were regressed. Therefore, the scatterplots depicts the relation between unstandardized residuals and empathic concern. (For interpretation of the references to color in this figure legend, the reader is referred to the web version of this article.)

Then there's this image.

Came with this caption:

>Significantly smaller GM volume in patients with narcissistic personality disorder compared to healthy controls as determined using a cluster extent correction procedure (height threshold of p < .005 uncorr. and cluster extent threshold of k > 169 voxels). Significant voxels are overlaid on the mean anatomical image of all participants (see also Table 3 ). Smaller GM volume was found in rostral parts of the anterior cingulate cortex (ACC), medial parts of the prefrontal cortex (mPFC) and in the median cingulate cortex (CC).

>Psychiatry isn't even a pseudoscience.

Not sure what you're trying to say with this.

Are you trying to be sarcastic by saying that psychiatry isn't a pseudoscience, but an actual science?

Or are you saying that psychiatry is so pseudoscientific, it can't even be considered a "pseudoscience", it's lower than pseudoscience?

Also, I think that the diagnosis of personality disorders isn't exclusive to psychiatrists, but also psychologists.

Or are you saying that psychology is a pseudoscience too?

Hey now, don't say that!

Didn't you know that people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder make condescending remarks of their physicians?

You could get diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, or something worse with talk like that!

Its not skull, its underskin tissue, you cant see bones on MRI