I was looking at my brother's math homework aligned with Common Core standards...

I was looking at my brother's math homework aligned with Common Core standards. Holy shit this is like postmodern deconstruction. What is wrong with just accepting mathematical operations at face-value? I don't think my 9 year old brother has any significant insights into the theory of arithmetic. He's not fucking Bertrand Russell.

It's simply just another way to further the genocide of the white male

you cant trust your sensations
you cant trust your rationality
just trust us :)

I've tutored kids taught on common core, and trying to help them with anything, especially math, is like trying to communicate with someone from another language. They have no concept of the fundamental logic behind simple math operations. Everything is obfuscated into bizarre visual metaphors, and trying to read their homework instructions are like trying to decipher Lacanian topology. I'm convinced children taught under such a disarming ideology are going to grow up to obfuscate everything they touch with unintentional obscurantism until politics and science are represented through apples and squares.

>American """""""education"""""""

>until politics and science are represented through apples and squares

Good post, user.

Looked at common core, there's nothing wrong with it. These problems help kids conceptualize math easier. The sooner you grasp the concept of numbers as abstract objects, the better off you'll be

no if anything its the opposite. I didn't just use "postmodern" in a meme /pol/tard buzzword sense. Of course underpinning postmodernism is a tangible intellectual paranoia and vigilence about how we assimilate information which comes from sources of authority. Which basically seems to be the common core method; "empower the kids to think about math in a personally meaningful way." and to what extent they get the "right answers" being important to the philosophy of Common Core -or for that matter its recognition that any "right answers" exist- I cannot exactly say. Overall it seems like another case of keeping culture in a permanent state of suspension in the age of self-absorption.

What the fuck? Is this real? What is this common core thing? And isn't 'add 26 + 17' pleonastic? The plus sign means 'add'. But nevermind that, I read the whole thing again and it just doesn't...add up.

It's the logic of late capitalism

This can't be real. This must be nightmare vision.

>These problems help kids conceptualize math easier
This isn't the case at all. It's a serious growing problem with education in America, as kids are needing tutoring more and more due to the confusion of CC, but nearly everyone who is not a current school teacher is unequipped to teach them. And many schoolteachers are not able to keep up with it either. Its purely a system to artificially inflate grades by lowering the skill gap and receive more funding.

Are they seriously trying to cover up the Vietnam war?

It makes perfect sense to me. They want you to make tens, which is a life hack in mental addition that everyone should be using.

Instead of looking at the problem as 26+17, you should make a number into a 10, and they chose the 26. How do you do that? by adding 4 to 26 and making it into 30, and since you added 4 to one term, you must subtract 4 from the other term. you get 30+13 which is far easier sum.
How are you retards not getting this?

It's basically a "highlights in global cooperation" thing, but still.

But why can't you do it the One True Correct Way, which is to add the ones together, then add the tens together? 7+6=13, 2+1+1 = 4, 43.

Where's Camp David Accords then

And I thought I lived in a shithole of a country, but at least there's none of this...or wasn't when I was in school. Who knows what they have up there nowadays. I never suspected things were so bad.

then how the fuck do "tuition well-wasted" meme books enter into it? Surely The Second Sex is a more important work than Feminine Mystique (which I've never even heard of)

>mentioning random books
>no mention of Bretton Woods or the Washington Consensus

That's called the granny method, and it's antiqued as fuck and you SHOULD stop using that method when you start algebra and beyond because it's inefficient. Unless you have a real hard on for tradition that you're willing to take the long route but it's just dumb and sadistic to do it that way. I'm convinced granny method was conjured up by people who didn't have confidence in the average Americans mental abilities. It's a weird roundabout way for dumbasses. ditch it

>highlights in global cooperation
>9/11 attacks
>Osama killed

You explained it better than that creepy text. And I don't find it easier than adding 26 and 10, then 36 and 7.

I don't know because at first blush I can already say its 43 without having to do anything because its pretty much automatic. How is making a ten going to work when you need to make a thousand?

YOU may not find it easier, but you're not the majority.

It's hard to quantify what people find easier, but I feel it's safe to say that the majority of people find 10's easiest. 36+7 has no 10's in it. Of course if you intuitively know 6+7=13 without having to think about it, it may be the same as 30+13.

Basically in a poll of which is easier [30+13] is will win over [36+7] 100% of the time just because of those 10.

Please stop lying on the internet.

Hey, let's have some data to back up all those claims, huh?

Are you seriously suggesting that helping kids to understand intuitively how math works is a conspiracy?

How does it work for 1000s?

When did people stop learning cursive?

Lel in 40 years I bet kids are going to ask me "You learned PRINTING in school? Super weird! These days we just learn tablet tapping. Anyway, where's that candy you promised us?"

>which is a life hack in mental addition that everyone should be using
Nah. A lot of the most powerful mental arithmetic hacks do not involve "breaking" into 10s.

As a very simple example, I know almost immediately in my head that 24 times 26 is 624. For the same reason p much I also know that 88 times 92 is 8096.

>That's called the granny method
Rebranding at work. It's either called partitioning (applies equally to 46+17=40+6+17=40+23 and 46+17=40+10+6+7=50+13), but what I suspect that dude is getting at is long addition aka column addition which is by far the most efficient written method of the lot esp as the numbers get bigger.

common core teaches several physical methods and a few mental ones so kids can DECIDE which one works best for themselves

sorry missed your question.

Basically you make 100's, 1000's, etc. the trick is the 0's.

for example 2266+3369(random generated problem) my first thought is to make it into 1000's:
5000+3000
then into 100's:
300+200
then into 10's
but I don't usually do 10's since 66+69 is easy enough.
Actually I got 5500 really fast, with just one glance at the problem, then I merely did 66+69

this way is much faster than getting out your pen and pencil, stacking both terms and doing
6+9 carry the 1, etc, etc which is reffered to as the granny method, and is outdated as mentioned above.

...this can't be real.

what is this even trying to teach?

>teach Calculus for a living
>have no idea what this is trying to convey

>which is reffered to as the granny method
But only within common core approved text books.

This shit is weird dawg. What are those US education bureaucrats up to?

This is how I do arithmetic in my head and I'm a physics major...

common core way of explaining things be like
Ayy lmfao whenever you have a 5, say fuck that and make that 5 into 10. the end faggot.
is probably how the common core would explain it..... but basically what I'm saying is double the 5, half the non-5
5*16=10*8
5*78=10*38

I bet Veeky Forums is laughing

It's much easier to just add the numbers in the tens column with the numbers in the ones column.

20 + 10 = 30
6 + 7 = 13
30 + 13 = 43

It's only 'easier' because that's how you learned to do it.

It's also a better method. We can't do much tho apart from sit back and let history decide who is right on this one although I am right on this one so nuh nuh

except this is how you do math in your head anyways?

>tfw Americans will bicker about the best way to do arithmetic as if it fucking matters when there are a bunch of people in the country who unironically think that students shouldn't have to learn algebra and need to be explicitly taught how things like interest work because they can't understand that math classes are for learning concepts and reasoning skills and not for memorizing how to do 50 types of word problems

It's written poorly but that's actually a good trick I use all the time.

You people really don't understand the need for context? Where the fuck do you think you are? Obviously it's a timeline summary of the chapter, where they mentioned all those things specifically. It isn't a summary of human history, it's a summary of the police not they were making. Seriously dense.

>police not

Point

...you mean rounding up and then subtracting the difference?

seriously, add 4 to the 26, add that to 17, then subtract 4 again. much easier.

(26+4)+7=37-4=33

it's how i always did it. balancing numbers before summing them up makes me think of someone trying to balance gold with sand on a scale.

6+7 is a basic fact, that's why they drilled them into us in elementary school with mad minutes.
Adding two single digits numbers should be automatic.

(You)

Are you a kid who was "bad at math"? I remember growing up with these kinds of methods beginning to take root as a child and teenager and my whole college freshman class comprised of mathematical illiterates or people from other countries. In college, the "sink or swim" approach to math actually worked in my favor and I ended up breezing through it with repetition and practice, not "conceptualizing", which is ridiculous because math is already as abstract as possible. I'm sure this works for some people but it forces kids to make math more obtuse than it already Is. Most of the people who struggled with math in college- - the kids who were naturally not gifted or smart enough- - never practiced, always demanded it be explained in a conceptual way, and then never understood it anyways when it was, and never went to tutoring. I'm not even a STEM- drone in the least, but these methods of teaching math are horrendous and I feel lucky that I was given a second chance out of highschool to work the problems in the best way for me. I have no doubt American mathematical illiteracy is going to grow and probably because simple and elementary math is going to become more and more complex in the classroom and in ways that don't teach the brain to think mathematically at all.

>Illegal incursion into an ally's territory to kill a figurehead boogeyman
>Cooperation of any sort

Yeah I do this in my head, never realised how messy it looked on paper though

Common core math is teaching NUMBER SENSE you fucking idiots

Rather than a rote memorization like we used to do of formulas and numbers, theyre teaching kids a sense of the numbers and how they'll work to better understand larger problems

Thanks to rote memorization, i've got my multiplication from 0-10 down pat. Beyond that though i'm a piece of shit.

This is just like teaching kids to read phoenetic vs. identifying the letters at the start and end of the word to know what word it is

It's all just dofferent methods of learning for different goals

Common Core is a good thing, just too sloppy rn

born in '94 here, learned cursive in 3rd grade, was supposed to use it for the rest of elementary school but I didn't.

>Common core math is teaching NUMBER SENSE you fucking idiots
Ya this. You can always memorize a times table but americans have shockingly poor numerical literacy mostly because they're taught memorization rather than the ability to reason about the nature of mathematical structures. That's all common core is trying to do and it's a good thing

>everyone responding to this says this is how they do math in their heads

A-Am I the only one who literally visualizes the numbers on top of each other and performs carry operations?

I finished college for Finance and economics, and this just fried my brain. I have no fucking idea what they are talking about.

yeah I do that alot too.

What do Rachel Carson and Betty Friedan have to do with international cooperation? Oh I see it makes America responsible for Greenpeace and the UN convention against sexism or whatever. Right.

>implying that in a school chock full of Trayvons they're going to do anything other than desperately try to coach the test.

Where I went to school there were honors classes for bright kids, but most children need to have the material dinned into them in the simplest way possible. My school was kind of tragic because the best teachers always taught honors, because the kids were well behaved and personable. It was an easier and more rewarding job. So the idiots got idiotic or inexperienced teachers, which could only have made the problem worse.

Apparently the same thing happens in heavily black areas; competent teachers don't want to work as zookeepers for the rest of their lives, so they get themselves transferred somewhere else.

Not surprising.

Well to me it's more simple to just convert one of the two numbers that I'm adding into a number that ends with a zero so I would add 4 to the 26 ( which becomes 30 ) & then subtract said 4 from 17 ( which in turn becomes 13) to end up with 30 + 13 to get 43. This method becomes a bit more difficult the larger the numbers are though.

Yes i am well aware as an almost-teacher/to-be urban teacher the struggles and problems found in urban settings

It'll take a lot of work but if fuckfaces on both sides of the aisle who know nothing about educational philosophy can stay out, it'll go smoothly

If there's a just god, we'll stop caring about the test just like the other best scoring countries

Standardized testing is a conservative conspiracy to justify defunding public education.

Not sure about that, but the test the world uses to determine a country's educational efficiency is called the PISA test, administered by the OECD—Organisation for Econonomic Cooperation and Development

Yes, a NGO focused solely on developing ECONOMY is what most of tbe world lets judge their education systems. We teach to bolster economy, not to make well balanced citizens or anything like that. Just in it for the dosh

Meanwhile this was an entrance exam to a secondary school in 1913 Ireland.

Common Core is communist, whereas the 'traditional' method is capitalist. Now, hold on while I explain.

Common Core works backwards by attempting to internalize the basic principles before it's provided the structure to which those basic principles apply. In this way it attempts to place the logic of mathematical production in the hands of the people, with the assumption that the people will automatically coordinate with this logic to produce mathematical structure. Because it starts with the logic, it can be considered a top-down, or command pedagogy.

The traditional method is mechanical, and simply provides the structure for students to reiterate without necessarily internalizing the the logic. It depends on mass reiteration through routine: follow the steps, the answer will be correct. Some students may infer the logic of what they are doing, but it is unnecessary for this logic to be known in order for the routine to be followed. In this way, the logic of mathematical structure remains in the hands of that class which can infer the logic of mathematical production for themselves.

It should be noted that the origins of the traditional mathematical pedagogy can be traced to the Renaissance, when children learned math in order to better work with money, i.e. capital. Likewise, America is a communist country, so this reproduction of mathematical pedagogy by the American education system makes perfect sense.

What did you mean by this?

This is some Metal Gear Solid type shit

problem with standardized testing in US is they are legalist, i.e. have only punitive incentives

if we used standardized testing to sort students into different tiers of education, now that would be another thing

What's the problem? Seems pretty conventional

This just sounds like capitalism is bad. Commoncore is not marxist, it is postmodern, which is politically neutral and if anything mostly capitalistic in its current presentation.

There is no problem. I'm showing the decline in standards; from that to common core.

It's really not that bad. It's how you do math in your head. Take a look at It's just a math problem broken up into smaller, easier to manage math problems.

>It's how you do math in your head
I hear this repeated as a defense of the method yet no matter how I look it it's just needlessly complicating matters and slows down the entire process.

The point is it's not maths. It's teaching you how to think in a certain way, not how to do maths. If it actually was teaching you maths it'd be encouraging students to find their own methods, but this common core curriculum actually punishes students who deviate from the approved method. Apparently centuries upon centuries of students developing internal calculations for maths problems isn't good enough for the Americans, they need to make sure everybody solves problems the exact same way even if it hobbles everybody with an IQ above room temperature.

It's self evident that it's fucking stupid. It's the equivalent of teaching kids to speak by telling them to grab their lips and move them in the correct way.

It's just bs straight outta da social science department. Why do we need new methods when the old methods worked for everyone but Jamal and Pedro? I can only imagine the """research""" that justifies common core.

Suddenly I don't feel so bad being in a third world shithole with 'old' history books that try to detail everything

An interesting side note, that in my state, test scores determine how much time you spend on this silly teaching to the test shit. So in the top school systems, where kids kill tests regardless, they teach the test a week in advance and spend the rest of the time on useful stuff, whereas in my mothers town, where they teach basically ESL niggers and spics, they are close to 90% on test prep. The town I'm in allows the honor students to take a 2 week test prep course prior to the exam so they can spend their time on calc and their ap courses. Marx would be proud.

desu people would say I'm a capitalist and I still think capitalism is bad.

>mfw literally all research shows that teaching with higher level pedagogies works BETTER with hisorically low performing groups
>mfw people continue to treat poor kids like their stupid and are shocked when kids act and become stupid
>mfw no face thanks to blinding fury

Huh. Surely there's some kind of story here, or something not being shown? I mean, surely those are all important dates in 20th-21st century international history...but...what do they have to do with each other? What's the theme? It says a Map of Time. Does it have to do with Time Magazine somehow? I'm not really outraged, just very perplexed.

It's for college and they give you an hour. Could do this in my sleep.

I didn't say it wasn't bad but every time you agree with something calling it "marxism" and every time you disagree calling it "capitalism" is no way to live your life.

That "college" was an Irish secondary school, meaning these kids were applying to get into grade 8.

Could someone explain why conceptualizing math with visualizations? da fuq

Could someone explain why conceptualizing math with visualizations is bad?

me 2, but the explanation section is really really wierd. AND you and I are both over 20.

because some mathematical truths(axioms) don't come from reality, are abstract, and only exist so that the math works out. Sherlock said it best, once you exclude the impossible, whatever is left, no matter how improbable must be the truth.

I would agree with that. Too many people assign flat moral categories to descriptions of broad, complex phenomena: socialism = good, capitalism = bad, or vice versa. Good/bad doesn't necessarily inhere strictly with one or the other... the world is too complicated for us puny humans to really understand. desu

I'm a postgrad Math student and 90% of my supervisors proofs are him drawing pictures of trees and sets and describing a particular variation of forcing to be used.

what the literal fuck?

apart from that I think the tendency towards creating dualities is something we really need to be more conscious of. Its the basis of the political spectrum for one thing. There is no "political spectrum" because politics is just too complex a phenomenon to be broken down into two poles. And its certainly in part to blame why the American people are staring down the barrell of Nash's equilibrium in the upcoming election. Its even worse when you try to take philosophical movements and put those on a mythological political spectrum.

>26 + 17 = ?

1. 20 + 10 = 30
2. 6 + 7 = 13
3. 30 + 13 = 43

This is how I do it in my head. Basically the same thing, just less retarded IMO.

Why not

26+17
20+10=30
6+7=13
30+13=43

????

>
It'll take a lot of work but if fuckfaces on both sides of the aisle who know nothing about educational philosophy can stay out, it'll go smoothly

hs teacher dropping in. you are very correct in that statement. the most vocal about common core are the ones that have never taken a class under its guise and have been out of school for years. however, once you start teaching you are going to find education philosophy to be a joke and non-applicable to most of your daily interactions with the students. what they teach you in the program is nothing compared to the actual field. this is mostly true in other academic fields as well. the new generations of students are beyond the educational philosophies you are being taught in your program and will almost always reject the methods you may attempt to employ. you figure out how to teach by figuring out how your students function. aside from that, good luck. teaching is a blast!

This is what I do, too. Maybe that's a bad habit. Supposedly these weird CC methods are meant to impart some kind of intuitive understanding.

33 +43 = ?
3 +4 = 7
3 +3 = 6
7 +6 = 76