What is your passion?

What is your passion?

How did you figure it out?

anime

the Internet

What if your passion is building robots and you're afraid the government is going to use your passion/work to build Skynet? I mean the only people who are doing serious robot work these days are defense contractors.

I don't know, man. My interests change so often and so drastically that I can't trust myself anymore. I feel that if I invest any amount of time in such-and-such an interest, it will be a waste because I will just lose that interest and find another one, so I end up just not doing anything but shitpost on Veeky Forums or other superficial activities.

This shit is debilitating. I feel like I am floating along through life, not really making any major progress with anything. I am at the whims of my emotions. I might decide to work through a textbook one day, but I can never make a real commitment because I am concerned about wasting time, though paradoxically I am wasting time anyway being concerned about that.

bump :^)

I don't have one. I'm just earning this degree so I can live comfortably and distract myself until I die.

People on Veeky Forums have only a sad passion : 'to appear intelligent'

That's it.

sailing

boyscouts

also this

>boyscouts

top yoy

Hobby or career?

For hobby it would be guitar, figured it out after playing 8 years.

For career I seem to just have found machine learning / statistical learning. Still at the beginning but it's one of things I like most since starting in computer science.

Did only go into it pretty late, as I was always was unsure whether my math skills are up to it.
Just do it, if you think you like it.

doing something consequently > being motivated for a short time

but meh, if it couldn't keep you interested it would've been a bad choice

Constantly thinking of my embarrassing nde where I should have been hit by a train
Girls
Math

>Planes

>Have autism

>Got obsessed with anything that flew. This was due to my viewing of a British Airways Concorde at JFK, I wondered what the hell was making such a noise and how it looked so strange. Also my dad used to take me to the local airport because he knew I always looked at the sky, thinking of planes.

Flight and Machines dominated my life. When I was obsessed with prehistoric reptiles, it was the Pterandons and allies. Then it was birds, again they flew. Then cars. Cars had an engine, engines led to you guessed it, BACK TO PLANES.

>Again, the main reason for my passion. AUTISM. That's it. I don't know why I grew obsessed with them. I just am.

I like this thread
Bump

You did a good job mating.

got that YD real bad, huh?

Understanding how life works. It is what drives me day after day.

When I was younger every night before I went to sleep I'd imagine a story for myself. It would be outlandish and strange often fulfilling my own desires and bleeding into my dreams. After a time I realized I needed to know what I wanted so I went through my stories, all of them. It took weeks of thinking and analyzing what I pretended in the safety of my own head. Then I just kinda realized what I wanted and the steps for the in between just kinda appeared like magic. I wanted to understand the border of life and death so I went into biophysics and from there I work using new theories and papers to try and construct a model for cellular death and why some are reversible and some are not. I made a breakthrough recently, hopefully it turns out. I'm trying to put an effective experimental design together but it's exceptionally hard to test these types of things without leaving lots of room for error and doubt.

The best passion is process / understanding oriented I think.

Maybe I was just impressed by fictional media but I thought that robotics would be cool.

But real life is quite sobering. Progress is slow, everything is complex, everything is expensive, there is so much you can do on your own, if you want to be financed your invention has to be practical...

I dreamt of just making all sorts of different robots but in real life everything is done in a team so you only have a small influence over the project. And again progress is slow (at least compared to fiction).

So now I will just spectate I think. I don't really have a passion I guess.

i like being an elitist cunt

also im smrat

so i chose EE

This.

ill give you and everyone else in this thread a hint:

you tell anyone your "passion" is electrical engineering / [insert your STEM major here] and they immediately think you're an asshole. really? you're passionate about solving PDEs and circuitry? jesus christ dude, you're making me cringe and im doing a PhD in this right now.

Databases.

Working with databases.

History, especially from 1400-1700.

I am doing comp sci at uni since I've been doing programming in C since I was 13 and the grad salary for comp sci is much higher than maths or physics for my uni.

I hope someday I can go back and do history. As much as I like maths, programming and learning abstract ideas related to compilers and operating systems, history has an appeal and subjectiveness I have always found very appealing.

Very similar passion to , the life of the cell is completely fascinating, I'm more interested in how we can enhance the human body or cure diseases by manipulating our genome.

I'm gonna be honest with you, the world of Deus Ex sparked the flame.

>you tell anyone your "passion" is electrical engineering / [insert your STEM major here] and they immediately think you're an asshole
Except if you say "quantum physics".
Deepak Chopra has my eternal gratitude.

Anybody got their passion from a video-game? I remember back in 3rd grade when I got my hands on Halo CE. It completely changed my life forever. After seeing the Pillar of Autumn spaceship flying in space, everything related to the cosmos became my passion and utter obsession.

I remember all my personal essays and oral presentation during elementary school and high school where I would just talk about how fascinating space is. My ultimate goal in life now is to become an astrophysicist and uncover the truths of the universe. Of course, I'm just in college now so I'm not really advanced but I will never give up on that dream.

It also made me a huge liberal, because I want mankind to unite to set out to conquer the stars. I'm really thankful my dad let me buy that game as a kid, from that very moment my path in life was already chosen in front of me. I would have probably became a druggie otherwise considering my high school had a ton of druggies and bad influences.

Why that era?
Do you go to ren faire?

animals and computers.

th.physics
was playing god of war at the end of tenth grade while normies were in school doing tests when it suddenly struck me: "yea that's it, I wanna be a theoretical physicist"

>tfw my passion for chemistry made me a druggie, at least for academic purposes
>tfw it's at least 100x as common for people passionate about drugs to get their feet wet in chemistry than the other way around
>tfw I've only actually *enjoyed* NMDA antagonists

I feel you man. Same shit happens to me everytime. Can't force myself to do shit I don't want to do because I find it pointless.

Watching shows like Ghost in the Shell and playing games like Deus Ex make me want to contribute to the advancement of human augmentation. I think we can do incredible things if we can just figure out how the body works.
Alas, I have my degree and after lots of time searching for a decent job I've resigned myself to working as a lowly lab monkey, not really helping the cause atm.

i didnt get why all the other kids complained about math

especially why they hated it

I never tried to figure it out, it just was.
Trying to figure it out would itself likely cause problems. Trying to solve the problem prevents you from solving the problem. Not trying to solve the problem solves the problem.

I really like the religious aspect and
>
>
>

I go to Kent so no

Attention.

I just want attention. All kinds. Fans, lovers, friends. I just want people to know me and think of me and worship me.

I don't know how people manage to find one thing to focus on when there are so many interesting things in the world.

I was like this until my 4rth year in uni.

Then I started get serious, made some blueprints, prepared to launch a startup and then life fucked me over real hard. I got seriously sick for months, got into deep depression, had issues with family.

Now my body and health is ruined, I lost all interest in science and I can't even absorb new information. It's been a year and I'm still not completely fine in terms of health too.

EE/physics grade
Autodidact projects (learning english and Python)
Piano/Guitar YT lessons and sheets
Calisthenics
PUA practice

The best thing I could do in my life is accepting my ambitions and work for them.

To help find the theory of everything in my lifetime

>What is your passion?
I don't know

>How did you figure it out?
Not sure, but would like to. Does everyone have a passion though? Is it necessarily something which would be advantageous to follow?

Masturbating
The Internet

Got to have something to distract you from the spectre of death

Transcending my humanity and becoming a god.

what's the point of being a god if you're transcended your humanity?

Power, independence from society, superiority to all, the ability to do what my current frail human body prevents me from doing, such as living in the poles or leaving this planet forever.

Physics. Figured out I loved it in freshman year of science where we learned basic one dimensional motion

Why would you do anything if you're god?

Why is one configuration of the universe different than any other when you no longer have a goal? Why take any action at all?

I wouldn't be God. I'd be a god. AKA a being who is far above humans. That wouldn't make me nonsentient or anything. Once I achieve my apotheosis I will be free to do anything I want and will have achieved ultimate freedom.

Autism.

You're a special kinda stupid aren't you son? Memeing about robots like you know shit. It's not like they'd be used on assembly lines or anything is it?

GTFO MAGNITO, I'M GETTING BANK CASH WHATEVER!

STEM """master race"""

If you have a better way to achieve godhood than STEM I'd like to hear it.

Take your pedophile cartoons back to .

This is a science board.

Fuck off, love knows no age.

>What is your passion?
Anthropology

>How did you figure it out?

Story time children

Ever since I was a little kid I had a heavy interest in general history, military history, various cultures, and linguistics. I always found it so fun being able to learn more and more about these things like it was filling in the blank spaces of a puzzle for whatever culture I was reading about.

To make a very long story short I took up Biology since I thought it was a pathway to a chill enough and well payed enough career that would make my family proud (they're all scientists, engineers, and business people). Lo and behold I spent 3 years hating what I was doing and ultimately sat there and thought about what it was I REALLY wanted to do. What really drove my fire. What I wanted to put my heart and soul into.

Talked to the Bio department and told them to eat my asshole, got hooked up with the Anthro department and am actually happy for once.

That and being away from obnoxiously lazy and cocky pre-meds and angry autistic bio students makes life less aggravating.

Cometh at me gentlemen.

cognitive science. mainly to do with bridging the gap between what we know about the mind and what we know about the brain. E.g. we can think of a pink elephant, is that just the neurons associated with elephants and pink being activated at the same time?

the above is weed-toking university student tier though. im doing a masters in maths this year and my dream is to be able to study the above using maths somehow although i get that it's not really possible. (something like chomsky's approach to linguistics)

JIMMyIHn.

This helmet looks dumb

If you need someone to explain why your posts were so fucking cringeworthy I'd be amazed if you could get a degree in sociology, let alone make yourself into Jeeby Chreeby.
Kys.

Go away normalscum.

How do I find my passion? I thought it was programming but I don't seem to enjoy it anymore.

I grew up watching mecha anime and all my life I've wanted to build giant mecha. Then I discovered a new motor system that would make it possible. I've done it in small scale and it works! It becomes more efficient and the larger you scale it so huge mecha are not only possible but work best. It's super cheap too. Any person can go to the hardware store and for less than $100 create a motor that's allow for 1 axis of motion. Building enough motors for a 30 foot tall humanoid robot would cost less than $10,000 if base material is purchased wholesale.

I realize it's just a motor and not a robot, but I don't want to be responsible for the robopocolypse.

People will laugh at you but don't give up!

Also maybe reconsider your position on the robopocolypse? Humans are quite disgusting and honestly it'd be quite good if they were replaced.

Post some of your work

>ywn be a renown 16th century polymath whose fields of expertise span from architecture, engineering, cartography, and history to scuplting, painting, literature, music along with numerous sciences and mathematics

Why live, Veeky Forums?

What's the point of retaining humanity when you've become godlike?

>tfw my passion for chemistry made me a druggie, at least for academic purposes
>tfw I've only actually *enjoyed* NMDA antagonists

Now most people would call you retarded for doing shit like that but I can't help but at least respect that. If you're so immersed and passionate about chemicals that you would go so far into them, then that's pretty amazing.

So true my man. For me, everyday I day-dream about it. A dream where I would participate in a research team that develops an FTL drive of some sort that would allow us to explore the universe. Paving the way for mankind's ascension to the stars, which is culmination of the destiny of our species. I know that ever runner dreams of being in the Olympics or every scientist dreams of acquiring a Nobel prize, but for me I don't care if I don't get any recognition at all, as long as I've contributed to my cause I can die a happy man.

I have hopes, but unfortunately reality works otherwise. Reaching the frontiers of knowledge of my field seem impossible as it already is, innovating further just seems absolutely impossible. I'm honestly above-average intelligence at best so I have to work extra hard. But that's what passion is, you keep fighting for something you believe in, no matter how futile or hard the fight is. Even if you're a lab-monkey, you always need to stay with the mentality that one day you'll contribute to your goal. You may not make your dreams come true, but the more progress you make, the better it is for all of mankind. Sorry for the long post but this really hits home. Never give up buddy, because I won't, and I'm hoping you won't either, since we're both passionate. Keep up the good fight.

>elephants and pink being activated at the same time?
No. There's that spot associated with understanding complex ideas that probably takes the input of pink and elephant and does some magic so you can understand pink elephant. R-right?

>implying anybody knows fuck-all about how the brain works

Back to

Actually I basically said straight up that it's assumed to be magic. I don't know how you can get from that to knowing something about how the brain works.

chemistry

since i opened my first chemistry book

Dude, lots of people love what they do in math and science, probably more so than most other jobs. Research is the best job in the world IMO.

try something else that looks interesting

My passion has always been understanding reality at the most fundamental level. I'd really like to solve quantum gravity, but I'm not sure I will ever have the technical knowledge you need for it. Right now I'm working on giving a geometric interpretation to quantum information theory.

hate, violence, war, law, knowing the why of something

experienced what some call a spiritual crisis/kundalini awakening.

Backpacking

Botany

Chemistry

Thats about it

That's the thing I don't know what else looks interesting.

mathematical biology

What is that?

a thing I made up

Want to work for the Census Bureau as a statistician. I've just always been interested in stats desu. Probably 5 times a week I find myself looking up the demographics of random places.

Hopefully that doesn't sound too autistic.

Environmental science/biology/geology/geography/how the world works in general

Happened to be born to a family that owns a cottage and spend a significant amount of my life there. Watching how an ecosystem just works from personal experience is more amazing than words can even describe. It's a shame so few see the world the same way but that happens when there's a disconnect between people and their environment. Can't blame someone for not giving a shit about nature when they're raised being taught that everything is out there to kill them and their only purpose in life is to consume. I guess obtaining a passion is like anything really, it comes down to a roll of the dice when born and the factors that happen to come into play when being raised. No free will means it's not really your fault for not having a passion so don't get too stressed about it.

i feel you