How do I into von Neumann mode? I already got the overeating habit covered

Other urls found in this thread:

pomonahistorical.org/12times.htm
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabian_Stedman
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_ringing
youtube.com/watch?v=VTS9O0CoVng
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Next step is to be shit at maths.

First you need to be born into a very rich family, as well as being born with natural talent. Next you get the best available tutors and have no expense spared toward you as you pursue your hobbies. At this point you should join one of the world's most prestigious schools aimed at fostering a new generation of elites. Internalize your motivations, and never stop trying to attain more knowledge

Be born Hungarian

you sound like a sociology professor. geniuses are geniuses purely because of a roll of the genetic die.

You don't understand how brain development works or how the world works.

That guy made the point that Neumann was in a completely priviliged setting and you get out of it with a genetics argument?

I'm not even arguing for one or the other, but that rant about him being born rich and put with the rich, clever and elevating people ... it's not like he said "you just must be a genius", he basically did the opposite.

Von Neumanns would be a lot more common if they were merely the result of a "have rich parents who can pay for good tutors" formula as you suggest. Not to mention the existence of people like Ramanujan who were born in utter destitution btfo your theory.

>muh indian outlier

He said "as well as being born with natural talents".
And yes, rich people with a great private education are highly overrepresented in the highest levels of academia.

>First you need to be born into a very rich family, as well as being born with natural talent. Next you get the best available tutors and have no expense spared toward you as you pursue your hobbies.
Literally none of this matters in the age of the internet.

*except the natural talent part

No Khan, you're not a good teacher.

>I already got the overeating habit covered
next part is to kill yourself.

kek

>I already got the overeating habit covered

start balding next, then get into suits

oh sorry, I thought this was Veeky Forums

Rich people's representation in academia is completely fair because most smart people are upper middle class, or part of the upper class.

This board is so depressing.

Do you all believe that 'anatomy is destiny' and your intelligence/station in life is all pre-ordained in a biodeterministic manner? Do you just give up if something's too hard for you because you believe you're simply too stupid to understand? I feel sorry for you guys.

sorry fellow brainlet, no matter hoe many tens of thousands of hours you invest in your studies you'll never even come close to von Neumann

the same way no matter how many hours a person who is 5'3" spends practising basketball they will never make it to the NBA

Accepting your genetic limitations is part of growing up

A big part of finding success is to understand your own limitations, and working with them instead of trying to ignore them.
If you don't you're just gonna end up tired and neurotic.

>the same way no matter how many hours a person who is 5'3" spends practising basketball they will never make it to the NBA
What did he mean by this?

Develop an intense hatred for communists
Become a Jew
Speak seven languages

Mugsy was a total meme, whenever somebody talks about him it's always prefaced with 'for his size...'

Tenacity is one of the most valuable traits you can possibly have. Combined with a little bit of skill and passion, anyone can be successful or perhaps even great. Doesn't mean you'll be von Neumann, but that shouldn't discourage you.

On the other end of the spectrum, people who resign themselves to failure tend to live more comfortable lives because they believe everything is out of their control. They never encounter many opportunities in life because they don't actively seek them. This is a fairly stable way to live, but you will almost certainly never make anything of yourself.

>all that false equivalence

Mathematics offers way more freedom and leg room than Basketball user.

We're talking about the same field where priests and high school girls can manage to contribute academic knowledge to the same infrastructure that fucking proffesors and working professionals who spent well over a quarter of their entire lives doing the same thing.

>We're talking about the same field where priests and high school girls can manage to contribute academic knowledge to the same infrastructure that fucking proffesors and working professionals who spent well over a quarter of their entire lives doing the same thing.
Kinda goes against the whole narrative of "all that matters is the hours of work you've put into it" innit?

Most people here are gifted with above average IQs so they choose to pursue math and science. How is that depressing??? Doing something you are naturally good at is one of the most fulfilling things in life.

And here we go.
Nobody is telling anybody not to work their hardest, it's about managing fucking expectations.
Studying because you think it will guarantee you the next Nobel prize is the wrong kind of motivation.

> not knowing that jews did bolshevik revolution and then constituted most of the communists in soviet russia

In reality, they are rich because they are smart, and smart because they are rich

>what came first, the chicken or the egg?

Being smart came first. Then the smart mans children grew up rich. the kids regress to the mean however. An average intelligence person will have a higher iq and success on average in a rich household than a normal or poor one. if a genius kid is born, being rich will grant him much better oppurtunities to nurture his talent set.

Having the genetics is only half the story kid. You need the right nurturing and training and mindset as well

I think I addressed a lot more than that in my reply, which was also a specific response to . If you think there isn't a large portion of the population which resigns itself to failure, you don't have enough experience with people. With that type of mindset, even hard work won't get you very far.

That's not entirely true. All humans are very different. I was a math prodigy growing up in a poor and abusive household, and constantly changing schools really hurt my education. While I have genetics, I more importantly have drive and passion to understand and explore mathematics, which has landed me more opportunities than my intelligence ever could.

Like most things, the answer is neither black nor white. We live in a dynamic reality which is only modeled (locally) using static, foundational systems. I think a feedback loop occurs to some degree: wealth foments wealth and education, while education foments knowledge and wealth, while knowledge foments further education. I visualize a lossy feedback loop that, when reaching a certain critical low, becomes "turbulent," resulting in rebellious rich kids and other radical factors.

Obviously there are millions of other factors at play as well, but that is the model in my head of what happens.

I wonder what it was like to be von Neumann. Obviously his peers we're the elite, but if he interacted with regular everyday people it must be like talking to a dog.

>Kinda goes against the whole narrative of "all that matters is the hours of work you've put into it" innit?

No, it goes against the narritive of needing to be some genetically inclined 6'5" player in basketball or in this case some 130 IQ practioner of mathematics to make contributions or generally succeed in it.

>teacher gives girl extra credit assignment
>girl Improves on mathematical formula for folding just by doing said extra credit assignment.

pomonahistorical.org/12times.htm

>father works for the church and son feels the need to go in the same career path cause older brother does so too
>improves bell ringing and contributes to group theory by composing/ working as a bell ringer for churchs.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabian_Stedman

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_ringing

The examples above weren't some genetically destined people for greatness they were literally who’s given tasks or going into family business and eventually found quirks within an already established system or methodology. Ultimately becoming known because they exploited or manipulated said found quirks.

>because of a roll of the genetic die
>I have the full understanding of how world works but still strugle through basic education: the post
Well, you clearly lost that genetic roll...

>Von Neumanns would be a lot more common if they were merely the result of a "have rich parents who can pay for good tutors"
It's about all the things that maybe his parents and tutors didn't even fully understand falling into right places.

Now you just try to twist everything to fit into your point of view while having no actual evidence.

>we're
I'm not going to say: " 'murican education", but you really need to step up.

>If you think there isn't a large portion of the population which resigns itself to failure, you don't have enough experience with people.
This has literally nothing to do with being able to recognize innate greatness in others and everything to do with a bunch of other mental blocks.

For fuck's sake, people aren't going to turn into slobs because you tell them that, yes, geniuses exist.

youtube.com/watch?v=VTS9O0CoVng

When will they ever learn?