What are the greatest textbooks of all time?

What are the greatest textbooks of all time?

Like, textbooks that actually made you orgasm when you read them?

>inb4 sci doesn't read textbooks

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f4-jbobSll4
gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=hartshorne algebraic geometry&open=0&res=25&view=simple&phrase=1&column=def
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

God's Word, the Bible

If I had to identify one text that generated scores of research, phds, and helped expand the horizons of entire disciplines it would Alexander Grothendieck's Elements of Geometrie Algebrique.

youtube.com/watch?v=f4-jbobSll4

The Bourbaki texts also deserve to be mentioned for their comprehensiveness and influence on style. It's worth noting this group was most active while Grothendieck was a member, but it also includes such titans as Cartan, Weil, Serre, Schwartz.

This, t b h f a m.

>ywn marry a flawless, good Christian woman

>having to read textbooks
>not being born with inate knowledge

I want brainlets to get the fuck out.

sicp

>no Elements posted
very disappointed in you sci

>textbooks that made you orgasm when you read them
>textbooks that made you orgasm
>Made you orgasm when you read them
>Made you cum buckets when you read them
>textbooks that made u ejaculate
>Cant return textbook to library
I don't read textbooks or any books really

Spot the retarded/American CS major.

Spot the uni cuck with 200k student loan

college is free in europe actually. we get paid to study hah

Apparently they must have shitty economics departments if Europeans still believe in the "free education" meme

>keeping a population ignorant is better than keeping a population educated

>intentionally misinterpreting the argument just to shitpost
Why do you SJWtards have to spread your cancer everywhere you go?

>calls me shitposter
>uses SJWtard
Typical ignorant American.

Didn't get enough cucking there boy? Are you waiting for another Bernie revolution to be humiliation fucked again?
You SJWtards are the laughing stock of the society lmao

>y-you're a cuck! ;_;
>s-stupid bernie supporter
>I bet you're and SJWtard. you're an SJWtard. degenerate!!
wew lad

go back to your brainlet containment board /pol/ trash

we Europeans spend our money on free universities and it's a far better allocation of tax dollars than spending it all on the military so our citizens can go die for Israel like you Ameridumbs do

>Bern victim SJWtard unironically trying to look not dumb.
>Posting SJWtard memes

Why don't you give me a few hundred bucks cuckie. You can trust me it's for the revolution ;))

>being a good goy to the capitalist cryptojews
lmao just

>implying Bernie had any intentions to free people
Thats why you're retarded. You can't see a despicable conman coming a mile away.

Came here to post this

>Economic departments

fuck off

that's bullshit in the netherlands you have to pay a shitton to go to university

now you know

related is by far my favourite textbook, in that it is the one that I most enjoyed reading cover to cover. There is no way its the greatest or most influential textbook in bio though since it is too niche.

I would say Cell is probably one of the greats purely for its wealth of info and use as a reference text, but of course "On the Origin of Species" must take the crown. I cannot think of a book that is more influential in biology.

>that pic
>14 hours watching nickelodeon to uncover a conspiracy
Not even frequent /pol/, but having a woman who wrote a book called literally ''cuckold'' write a show for little kids with several references to that book isn't that good/normal desu senpai

>college is free in europe actually

>what are taxes

jfc are europoors actually this gullible?

topkek

Is this what Americans tell themselves to rationalize their tuition fee predicament?

xtian shitposters are worse than atheists.

Landau Series
Feynman lectures
The art of writing reasonable organic reaction mechanisms

Why would you need to read a maths textbook? Didn't you go to a university?

Do you not have a lecturer and a department that prints you a set of notes?

>it's a "computer """""""scientists""""""""""" attempt to rewrite mathematics" episode

kek

Color pages ( newest edition ), great book smell. Presented Linear Algebra in a meaningful way that actually made sense, did not waste your time.

I have a UK friend who has no textbooks at his uni, doesn't work like that everywhere. Pretty rare in the States.

>I have no idea what I'm talking about

>the sum of the product of the sum of the product times the product of the sum of the product of the sum of the product of the sum of the product of lambda of the product of the sum is about equal to the sum of the product, which is about equal to lambda which is about equal to the multiplication operator with is about equal to the sum which is about equal to the multiplication operator which is about equal to nothing which is...

wut

Take your pedophile cartoons back to .

This may be the greatest math book ever written.

obligatatory

shameful it hasnt been posted yet

kek

Well he's got us beat there. It's not all Americans user. It's just the Republicans.
Republican Logic:
>Don't abort the baby, baby killer
>Don't take out welfare. Support that baby on your own with your Carl's Jr $9/hour wage
>Don't help her out by reducing her college tuition. She can find her own way to scam people to make more money
>The child is gay? Oh she should have aborted it when she had the chance

>autism

This is not really a textbook but is more of a survey. Univalent Foundations is not a subject het, but I think posting it is cool because it has the potential of developing into a crucial aspect of mathematics. If Voevodesky delivers on his promise of new foundations, this reference will probably become a lot more than a textbook!

fyi Vladi hates the existence of that book

JP May's "A Concise Course in Algebraic Topology"

Any other good uber-categorical books? Trying to read Ramanan's Global Calculus but it's still pretty nuts and bolts, doesn't even use the word functor. :(

>>>/reddit/

HoTT is already a new foundation.

t. butthurt child

with a 50% tax rate, limited freedom (if any), high unemployment and muslim terrorists everywhere -- no thanks

Axler is my man

I'm not busting balls when I ask why are you so confident that's true? I have yet to come across a single article that appeals to its foundational perspective, and that would be kind of necessary to support the claim it's the new foundations. To me HoTT is an ambitious project that's being developed by some of the world's experts, but that doesn't mean it has replaced set theory or even category theory with its awkward admixture of universes as the foundations of maths. It's worth pointing out Voevodesky himself has placed it at odds with Goedels incompleteness results, suggesting this univalent stuff may accomplish with automated proofs what Goedels results essentially forbid. Those same results have been absorbed for nearly a century, so just to leap to a conclusion and regard UF as a new foundations is hard for me tomaccept without justification.

Sorry, Ahmed. Free uni is for EU citizens

Are you joking? It seems like you know almost nothing about it, go read the HoTT book first.

It does "replace" category theory and set theory in a rigorous sense. The 0-types have been shown to model ETCS, and you can define categories in various ways that make the normal results true. However, that's not really the point of it, the point is to model infinity groupoids.

>>inb4 sci doesn't read textbooks

???

We seriously need to throw the /pol/trash ouf of Veeky Forums.

We need better moderation.

I wish i knew about this book last semester.

Btw is linear algebra taught on first semester in freedumb land?

Depends where you start. It's usually the first proof based class for a Math major.

who need textbooks when you have lecture notes and can google everything?

What does it cover exactly? I have another game theory book that seems to be all game theory and no economics, I'm currently leaning towards that since I'm a pure mathfag and not an economics or stats student.

>got a degree in math (and cs)
>tried to read this
>can't do the first problem
>forever brainlet

Guess I'll just become a computer scientist

>Implies intrinsic deficiency to shield self from effort or self improvement
This is what makes you a brainlet.

Mathematical foundation of games and strategies. Very little economics.

>problem takes more than a few minutes to solve
>therefore it is too difficult for you

Definitely go the computer science route. You don't have to challenge yourself at all.

There's no need to talk to me like an asshole. In my career I've gone through hundreds of papers and have never once seen univalent foundations appealed to within a paper, so it's a practical question I was asking you as a seeming professional how HoTT has replaced set theory as the foundations of mathematics. I'll bet any money by an infinity groupoid you mean a groupoid object in an infinity, 1 category? You're just throwing around jargon because it's clear you don't really have an answer for me. I can hardly believe that UF has replaced set theory and category theory as the foundational aspect of mathematics to create a framework for higher categorical groupoid objects. If you want to answer the question I asked, I'm all ears, but the answer you gave me is the reason it was foolish on my part to ask a semi-serious question on Veeky Forums.

What? When did I say I didn't spend a good amount of time working on it?

Do you think I got through an entire math degree doing only problems that only took a few minutes to solve? lol

Dude... it was just a bit of self-deprecating humor. Obviously I know that I could learn it if I spent more time on it. Sadly, I need to spend time learning math with more applications to CS during grad school.

>Dude... it was just a bit of self-deprecating humor.
You have to realize you're the exception. Any decently informed heuristic would be apt to peg you the way I did.

I won't retract even the slightest of what I said. you should expect nothing less.

I don't even know how to respond, lol.

Do you want me to thank you for telling me the hard truth of my failures?

>buy pic related at thrift store
>sold for $25 because i never thought i'd take AG
>3 years later, taking algebraic geometry

i wish i had this book back, but i can't even find a torrent of it or anything
i would love if somebody linked me to one

also this

gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=hartshorne algebraic geometry&open=0&res=25&view=simple&phrase=1&column=def

So far I've enjoyed reading
>Archaeology: A Very Short Introduction by Paul Bahn
>Frauds, Myths, and Mysteries: Science and Pseudoscience in Archaeology
To be fair I spent the past 3 years not really reading textbooks as they were generally meme books with no information added from my lecture or poorly written.

It doesn't really matter what you do. I'm unlikely to get anything out of the interaction.

You can take the exchange to be largely one sided if you like.

i love you user

np

one of the best introductory mechanics book ever to be made

I'm not gonna spoonfeed you bro. The HoTT community has gone to great lengths to write easy-to-understand introductory material, it's all on the internet.

An infinity-groupoid is an infinity category where all morphisms are invertible.

Also, I'm not claiming that it actually is being used as a foundations. But it has been used enough that we know that it *can* be used as a foundation.

3rd or 4th semester at my school.

The symbols have different meanings in different contexts

Guyton's Physiology
It just werks

Anything by Halmos
Advanced Calculus by Loomis/Sternberg as an example of concise text though problems were too easy.

Sussman's Functional Geometry and his SICM book because it's like magic rewriting math notation into scheme functions and watching them work realtime.

truuuuu

It is taught on 3rd semester in my uni for math majors, but on 1st semester for engineers.

it's hard to find texts that take the Bourbaki style of doing everything abstractly from the start but don't take the Bourbaki style of using prose that looks like it was written by an autistic computer

>flawless
>missing the point this hard

fucking autistic freshmen

Geology-Herak Croatian author, i was reading it for exam, took it as extra literature because recomended book was crap. An oh my, book was reading itslef.

Will make you employable with nothing but Stats 101.

Came to post this, thank you user.

What are the prerequisites for functional geometry and sicm?

>implying the ultrajew bernie aren't goyiming your gullible asshole

one econometrics text a flicked through actually contained a pretty standard treatment of mathematical statistics including maximum likelihood estimators, sufficient statistics, odds-ratios, F-statistics, etc.

would that really be considered stats 101?

Pauling's General Chemistry is pretty interesting, as it basically set the current format for gen chem texts books, albeit it is a bit more conversational.