EMDrive To Be Tested In Space

popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a22678/em-drive-cannae-cubesat-reactionless/

>On August 17, Cannae announced plans to launch its thruster on a 6U cubesat

>Fetta intends the satellite to stay on station for at least six months

>The longer it stays in orbit, the more the satellite will show that it must be producing thrust without propellant.

>2017 seems likely

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=chinese EMdrive
researchgate.net/publication/299453269_Thrust_measurement_of_an_independent_microwave_thruster_propulsion_device_with_three-wire_torsion_pendulum_thrust_measurement_system
translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.golem.de/news/em-drive-der-warp-antrieb-muss-noch-warten-1606-121641.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum_group
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Lets test something that's bearly measurable in a lab in a less controlled environment.
>That'll settle the debate

I fucking hate everything to so with memedrive.

Mongoloid if it works in space then that's it it works and we can use it to go to Mars.

>Missing the point

When can we slaughter brainlets?

You must be in academia.

I know dicking around in the lab is fun, but it's time to get some shit done.

start by killing yourself

NASA what the fuck are you doing

I will bet you 100 digiridollars it doesn't work

Not involved with Veeky Forums anymoe today!

Craig no ;_;

>bunch of engineers say "fuck it, lets just throw one up there"

>physicucks mewling about "muh rigor"

LMAO

> using a 1.2 mN/kW thruster in space

If it doesn't work, would you say the memedrive doesn't work or would you blame it on one of the innumerable things that could go wrong? That is the problem with this test: it doesn't provide the information an experiment isn't supposed to provide because any null result can be easily blamed on something aside form the theory being wrong.

Physfags will still be claiming it doesn't work even if someone is doing space-burnouts with one

You test it in space so you remove the anchoring variables

It's used inside the sat.

It's not being used to propel anything but itself.

>implying we can't measure the position of anything in space to within a millimeter using lasers

>inb4 it shows promise so we need just a bit more funding...

If it works, it works. You can have your faggy "debates" all day long anyway.

>I fucking hate everything to so with memedrive.
real scientific mindset ya got there user.
does the hermetic seal give you a claustrophobic thrill?
I can respect when someone says there is no theoretical reason it should work.
Theory must conform to reality and sometimes reality surprises us.
There once was a time when science believed that EM radiation could only travel in transverse hertzian waves after all.

Wow so you are literally saying that Engineers have no idea about anything

The thing is that we still don't really know if it works. His point was that if you can't do it in a lab, you're fucking sure not to be able to do it in the wilderness

It takes a manned spaceflight program to be able to call yourself a Superpower.
We, the USA, do not have a manned spaceflight program. Ergo, we are no longer a Superpower.
Thanks for making us a Third World nation Obama.

pic related - What we used to do.

Why is it so hard to test this thing in a lab?

>It takes a manned spaceflight program to be able to call yourself a Superpower

naaaah man, it takes a circle in the country's flag to do that, dont be silly

It was Bush who retired the shuttle, if thats what you mean.

There is a whole year or more untill the launch for further testing

Heavier than air flight is impossible, user

Lord Kelvins stated so himself, do you want to contradict the Academia?

Leave scientific research to serious researchers and if you can't do SCIENCE, then don't pollute it with your sci-fi hokum

>it will be on low earth orbit meaning drag will fuck it up and not prove anything
Good job guys.

You can fart in space as propulsion too.
If it works, it works ;)

farting isnt nearly as energy efficient

Farts need fuel.

its more efficient than the anal cavity drive ;)
and meme needs an energy source

>it's happening
>No launch date has yet been announced

Doing that could push the cubesat around and mess up the results. People will scream "laser assisted!!", brainlet.

Uh, user. This is about satellite thrust power, not lifting things into space. Maybe you should go back to /pol/?

Because it doesn't work in a lab, it can only work in spess.

Why is /pol/ the go-to when stupid people post stupid shit, anyways? Haven't really spent that much time there, but I always figured it was more of a racist hellhole and not a stupid hellhole.

It's a mixture of both desu.

It turned into /x/ 2.0 since Trump became a thing.

political discussion is directed to the politics board

It's a meme perpetuated by sjwtards in every thread to spread their cancer everywhere they go. They're just trying to compensate getting btfo'd by Veeky Forums

>he thinks I'm a cute anime girl
thanks senpai

Cause theyre all retards

It won't work. The chinese already did a test on the EMdrive with its own self contained power supply and measured no thrust.

Politics go in /pol/.

It should be much clearer in space than in a lab, as the effect adds up over time.

In a lab, there are lots of things to push off of. In space, there's just solar radiation, very thin atmosphere, the Earth's magnetic field, and onboard material that might be accelerated away.

If it provides useful thrust in space, it's an interesting device no matter how it turns out to actually work.

Anyway, cubesats are pretty cheap.

source or utter bullshit

google.com/search?q=chinese EMdrive

I bet this is the same kind of guy that rambles on about "muh engineers r stooped" every day.

So if it doesn't work, will it demonstrate that the device does not work?

Nope. It isn't under controlled conditions. in a lab. The only thing they can hope for, that is a solid answer is to have it work right the first time.

um... F = mdotVe + P(Ai-Ae)
Don't bullshit an Aero Engineer OP

>google is a source
I want pop-sci fags to leave

If the experiment cannot disprove the theory, it is a bad experiment.

Exactly.

I wouldn't consider this to be an experiment.

researchgate.net/publication/299453269_Thrust_measurement_of_an_independent_microwave_thruster_propulsion_device_with_three-wire_torsion_pendulum_thrust_measurement_system

And for laymen:
translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.golem.de/news/em-drive-der-warp-antrieb-muss-noch-warten-1606-121641.html

inb4 we lose track of it and we spend the next two years trying to figure out possible trajectories.

inb4 it blasts off and we never see it again.

inb4 the launch fails and other delays stretch out further study of the meme drive until the mid 2020's.

inb4 there's no thrust

If drag does fuck ot up it will pretty strongly indicate the tech is garbage

The theory is that it doesn't work because the meme drive contradicts all modern physics theories.

>no atmosphere
>drag

how is this even?

You do realize that the atmosphere doesn't just stop, right? And that pretty much anything in LEO gets some kind of drag?

I suppose I should have said hypothesis, but this aside, the hypothesis being tested is that meme drive works. If throwing a cubesat into space and getting a negative result does not invalidate the idea of the meme drive, it is a shitty test.

>american education
>on fucking Veeky Forums of all places
mathtards are so fucking ignorant

This is why I switched to engineering, much more freedom to try new ideas.

>much more freedom to try new ideas

A positive result is confirmation, a negative result is inconclusive. Not ideal but hey you work with what you've got

>wish for a magic rocket that requires no fuel
>get it, moves so slow its pointless

This is some monkeypaw tier shit

im american and we have pretty tough creation classes fuck off

>mN/kw
how many years will this take to move an inch?

post pixxx

This. Farts will get you further than the inefficient weak meme drive

>fuck it. Throw it

Which is how most of the important discoveries have been made

Practical is for the doers

Theory is for the fags

Theory has merit only because it is based off of concrete observation. Why you are trying disregard the drive based on the reverse logic is actually shameful. What the fuck is wrong with you? At worst they will send it up there and discover sources of error that demonstrate it does not work by X known mechanism.

It's actually really sad to see even this tiny corner of the science community trying to bury something new just because current theory says it doesn't work. That's actually baffling to me.

All of this is real but if you want the real whole flying sauce technology ypu want graviphoton pairs from vacum that extended heim theory predicts.

They use a super conductor and gyroscope to produce the gravitphoton pairs in H*8 that decay into gravitons in R*4

pine gap engineer reporting in.

EmDrive seems to be 288 mN/kW (if it works), given a 6U cubesat is 12 kg, if it can generate 250W of power (if they put a hugeass solar array on it), 72 mN of thrust. 1N = 1 m/s^2 on 1 kg = 1/12 m/s^2 on 12 kg. 1/12 * 72/1000 = 0.006 m/s^2, so that's about 6 mm/s^2 of thrust, or about 0.002 g

>engineers disprove relativity and the gravitational model of the universe
>modern cosmology finally gets unfucked
>unified physics finally happen
>all the old fucks still pushing Einstein's bullshit throw a fit while the rest of humanity finally starts exploring the solar system with technologies based on science which actually works

And nothing important was lost.

Oh great. Why don't you just go and do it then?

Hear Hear Gravity Bro.

I get so pissed pissed when i tell my friends the reason we are not on the moon and mars is social-engineering by the elite. Not technical engineering.....

whatever.jpg i am the life of parties.

Precious metals. Some of the alloys involved are more expensive than gold. Remember that episode of southpark when they cured aids with money ?

You get propellentless propulsion with money. Ask you selves why en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum_group are so financially precious. Yes they are used in industry but not that much... they are horded.why ?

>t. Fundumental Physicist conservative
History was never on your side friend

Okay, no. Let's put it this way: If it's not feasible to colonize Antarctica, it's not possible to colonize extraterrestrial bodies.

Let's finish colonizing Earth first.

So you never tested it or saw a working version, yet you know it works eh?

>EMdrive might work
>???
>engineers disprove relativity and the gravitational model of the universe

Yeah, no. The fact you believe these two things are related shows how little you understand science. Standard cosmology dominates not because people are dogmatic but because it is by far and away the most successful model, nothing else comes close.

I've never been to France. Does that mean it doesn't exist?

>is by far and away the most successful model
It will prove it is not as good as it gets

But it has been, many times. When the superluminous neutrino thing happened Veeky Forums had many threads about "Einstein BTFO" and such, but that was wrong. When the BICEP2 result was announced Turok (a theorist) said we should be cautious because foreground contamination may be an issue, he was right. Cold Fusion. Pentaquarks...

But it doesn't, you can only do that by actually building a better model. EMdrive win or lose, says nothing about cosmology.

>Electric Universe
Is not science.

It is far from perfect
It is so far from perfect that cant properly explain the gravitational force and we are forced to make up shit like the Dark Matter to work
There is possible that not only we are missing something but we have gone down the wrong way

>successful
>has to make up things like dark energy and dark matter to explain away that it doesn't make any sense
>needs imaginary time as a concept
>gravity has no effect on a small scale but is somehow the dominant force
>universe somehow expanding while gravity would cause the opposite
>all experimental "evidence" of the more dubious claims find linear regressions in a cloud of random data points

Plenty of sound models use electromagnetism as the primary force behind cosmic events and make better predictions. They're being passed over for the same reason Pasteur's germ theory was passed over for so long.

Nobody said it was perfect. Dark matter is a testable hypothesis which makes very specific predictions like the universal density profile or hierical clustering. It can be tested without even knowing what it is.

>has to make up things like dark energy and dark matter to explain away that it doesn't make any sense
Those are hypotheses, all models include them. Does it change it's ability to model the data like the CMB powerespectrum or it's prediction of the existence and parameters of the baryon acoustic peak in the modern universe? No.
>needs imaginary time as a concept
No it doesn't.
>gravity has no effect on a small scale but is somehow the dominant force
It's quite simple if you aren't stupid. The nuclear forces are short range. The electric force rapidly falls off in the real universe as things tend towards quasi-neutrality. The magnetic force isn't immense for the same reason. Also note that the dynamics of the solar system are modeled with extreme precision for spacecraft navigation, with only gravity. Even on human scales we see gravity become the dominant force.
>universe somehow expanding while gravity would cause the opposite
Without an expanding universe to start with there is nothing for gravity to collapse.
>all experimental "evidence" of the more dubious claims find linear regressions in a cloud of random data points
I don;t even know what you're trying to say there.

>Plenty of sound models use electromagnetism as the primary force behind cosmic events and make better predictions.
Show me. Which electromagnetic model described the CMB powerspectrum? Which one explained the origin of the BAO peak?

>Nobody said it was perfect.
My point is that we had to make a hypothesis like Dark Matter as to not compromise Newtons third law, since Gravitational pull were seemingly appearing out of nowhere
If this thing disproves Newtons Third law the next logical step is to check if we actually need Dark Matter to keep our model consistent and revisit many concepts on Cosmology

If you think this is just "a cloud of random data points" then you're quite insane.

>no atmosphere
the boundary of an atmosphere isn't well defined.
The exosphere of a body is technically infinite, or exists only so far as it's gravity can reach (which we assume to be infinitely far).

>If this thing disproves Newtons Third law the next logical step is to check if we actually need Dark Matter to keep our model consistent and revisit many concepts on Cosmology
That's a very different claim to saying EMdrive working is proof of the end of gravitational cosmology.

gang

>That's a very different claim to saying EMdrive working is proof of the end of gravitational cosmology
Is it though?
It is the first thing that is going to be affected and who knows to what end
It will keep being used (as old models are still in use) due to practical reasons until we come up with a solid replacement but I dont think it is going to survive with just some add-ons
And the fact that the Gravitational Force is a hypothesis itself doesnt really help