Recommend some good graphic novels. Now

Recommend some good graphic novels. Now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eSt62K70o0E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Watchmen is reallyenjoyable

Sandman, Sandman, oh and Sandman.

The spin off with Lucifer is meh.

The "Death" spin offs are great.

If you want some pretty sci fi, "Saga" is alright.

Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea
Palestine - Joe Sacco
Habibi
Persepolis

t. based leftist

From Hell, Moore's Swamp Thing, Sandman, Blacksad, The Bus

pleb test
pleb taste

T R A N S M E T

It's cyberpunk Hunter S. Thompson.

Came into the thread to say this.

Moebius

From Hell
Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
Asterios Polyp

Reading this now. It has its moments but reads too much like a power fantasy. It matches the style and invective of Thompson, but lacks much of his actual political insight. All the villains are basically strawmen and the series abides by a totally black-and-white morality.

No such thing.

>Persepolis
>>>/tumblr/

Southern Bastards, The Fade Out, Hellboy, Two Brothers, Daytripper, Tungstênio, Persepolis, The Fix, Five Ghosts.

New Construction, The Wrenchies, Low, and Zero are probably my favorites.

Watchmen was surprisingly enjoyable. It met the hype for me.

Sandman is awful

leftist as fuck but still good

patrish

Literally the most edgy Reddit trash ever printed

god-tier patrician

Also god-tier

The Crossed series is easily one of the best; anything by Garth Ennis will keep you engrossed and simultaneously disgusted.

Alan Moore is also a co-writer in some of issues, he wrote The Killing Joke, V for Vendetta and many more great graphic novels.

If the crossed is too much for you, you can read other toned down work by Garth Ennis, like preacher, which is also a great series

>muh shock value

comics are truly plebe

It gets better and better as the chapters go by.

But do make sure you read at least the first 3 chapters. The conclusion of the first arc, which ends in the third chapter, is glorious. Then the 4th one is retarded, but it's

The several arcs about the campaign are pretty much Thompson's Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72, but with characters much more... well, evil, than Nixon. Though I think The Beast is actually Nixon, who actually gets a lot of props in the end of the arc that was his climax, and The Smiler is what would've been if Thompson would've had to fight something much more evil than Nixon - and funny enough, even though it was written in the '90s, The Smiler and Obama share so much in common...

Anyway, keep on reading.

see, this is what I hate.
Someone's interested in comics, the most underdog of mediums with some legitimately patrician contributions to art as a whole, and reddit teens come flying out if the woodwork to circlejerk over the most edgy, saccharine, overwrought, horrorgore-actiontrash and now no one is interested anymore.

There's really great comics out there, man. You just have to get past this motherfucker and this shit.

The US took a literal shit on comics, but they're making a comeback

I do indeed enjoy fantasying about reading nuanced literature that only connoisseurs like you can understand; until then I will be listening to GG Allin, and reading the crossed, maybe one day I can be as pretentious as you to dismiss plebs.

Maybe one day I can stop browsing Reddit so I can be accepted by philosophers like you.

>greentext

>Literally the most edgy Reddit trash ever printed
Kill yourself.

There's much edgier shit that has fuck all substance. Transmetropolitan is edgy because Spider is Thompson, and Thompson was edgy. But that's just the storytelling device. The real substance of Transmet is the politics. The Smiler's tactics are incredibly related to current news. For example, when he kills both his wife and Vita for the sympathy vote - a parallel can be made with the Brexit Remain side and Jo Cox.

Is pic related worth reading? I don't usually read graphic novels but it seemed interesting.

>horrorgore-actiontrash
Moore's take on Crossed is miles above all the moody navelgaze that ignorant hipsters push these days

The thing that I hate about Jodorowsky is that he always uses the same critics and the same metaphors (like the cross) who were used by many people before.

Do you mean "comic books"?

>The real substance of Transmet is the politics.
The political commentary is what kills it for me.
especially the page you screencapped.

like a shirtless guy with a spider tat on his head isn't enough, now we have to sit through the infinite wisdom of his political diatribe

Oh. So you haven't read Transmetropolitan and are just bashing based on a single page.

Do yourself a favor and go read the first 3 chapters. Don't stop 'til you've finished the third. And then, the first arc is only the tip of the iceberg.

Ennis is pretty edgy, but the original Crossed was pretty entertaining. Moore's Crossed +100 is decent. Avoid everything else under this title though. Crossed Psychopath especially is objectively shit, glad I just dl'd it.

nobody is arguing a distinction.
graphic novel is a subcatagory of comics, means it was released as a whole and not as a periodical.

I'm 5 volumes in. Autism compels me to complete the entire series, but unless I'm really won over by the final half I can't imagine ever reading another Ellis book.

You're right, I haven't, but I've read several random pages to test the waters and it just felt suffocatingly up its own ass.

I'll read it, and I'll be open-minded.

But I'm probably going to end up shitting on it.

Planetary is his best. I really recommend it.

You'll be won over by the final half.

But Ellis' other books are really different. Transmet is the edgiest one, followed by The Authority and Nextwave (both of which I'd say are shit. They ARE edgy for the sake of being edgy, while Transmet actually has a reason). Global Frequency, Fell and Planetary are quite tamer, but boy are they good. Then there's Doktor Sleepless which... I mean, I like it, and it's a much tamer cyberpunk, but it's not his best work.

Now, his novels ARE edgy as fuck, but they're p good. They remind me of Murakami Ryu.

>it just felt suffocatingly up its own ass
because
Spider
is
Thompson.

If you've ever read Thompson, or if you're a pleb who haven't read Thompson but at least you've watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Rum Diaries, you'd notice how much Thompson was suffocatingly up its own ass.

Well, ok. We'll see where Transmet goes and worst comes to worst I'll at least look into Planetary. Cheers.

I really enjoy The Goon and Saga

Bone is good if you're ok with a simple light hearted adventure.

The Incal

I know it's manga but it needs to be recommended, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

punpun and yotsuba are the only manga that i have any respect or love for. less sure about american stuff.

>Then there's Doktor Sleepless which...
Which has been abandonned, like everything he was doing at the time

What about Azumanga Daioh? Written by the same person who did Yotsuba.

Fell is the one that hurts the most.

I blame the Marvel animu contract.

You really need to read Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix.

And Urasawa Naoki's mangos. Specially 20th Century Boys.

And Hoshi no Samidare.

berserk ofc

>tfw you babysit your godmother's only child and he's a precocious twelve year old with a good sense of humor, no television but a piano, and deep admiration for anyone between the ages of late teen - young adult
>tfw you've been paid near nothing, to read comics and books to him, and enjoyed every moment

He has good taste.

S A N D M A N
A
N
D
M
A
N
also watchmen

Enigma is like a literary Watchmen.

Transmetropolitan

>cultivating a young patrician mind

You're doing the lord's work, user

Enigma is great. Read The Extremist of you haven't, also from Milligan.

Angel Catbird

Nextwave isn't edgy. It's mostly just stupid in the right kind of way.

These threads never mention Love & Rockets, probably because there's so much and the beginning is literally the weakest point.

I think Jaime Hernandez might be the greatest storyteller in comics, though for some reason I find that people love to say Gilbert is a better storyteller but Jaime's a better artist.

The Girl From Hoppers collection has the most famous original stories, but the recent Love Bunglers collection has Jaime's most recent work from New Stories collected, and those are the ones that hooked me on them in the first place.

Glad to see people referencing Enigma, felt like that was the best comic I read that I never heard anyone talk about.

X-Statix, from Milligan and Mike Alred, is also criminally underrated, superb meditations on fame and mortality.

Zander Cannon's Heck is also very very good.

Twelve year olds need babysitting now? And to be read to?

Lost Dogs made me hurt all kinds of ways for being a 120 page one shot

Sandman is great

Ed th Happy Clown is the fuckin bomb

+1 Transmet is fun, but planetary is much more substantial.

this.

the lost girls is the greatest graphic novel of all time.

harvey pekar
john porcellino

Daniel Clowes
>Ghost World
>David Boring
>Death Ray
He just published a book called Patience, is it any good?

Also Asterios Polyp is a fun read.

>Ctrl F
>No 'Black Hole'
The fuck?

I read Bone in high school and fucking loved it. Finished it in like 3 days.

20CB is shit.
At least recommend Monster instead.

I really liked From Hell.
The explanation for each scene at the end of the book really made it worthwhile to read.

Fucking this
read it in one night and it kind of broke me for awhile

this is supposed to be funny right?

conan iis dumb he likes bekets and fsulker so what

transmetropolitan is literally one of the 3 or 4 Veeky Forums memes i can think of that go all the way back to 2004.

also, sandman is GOAT.

Joe's Bar by José Muñoz and Carlos Sampayo

watchmen will probably remain the greatest graphic novel of all time. if it wasn't so damn perfect maybe i would enjoy the snyder adaptation more...

Sara, stop being a dyke.

youtube.com/watch?v=eSt62K70o0E

>Autism compels me