Do sniper account for the Coriolis effect?

Do sniper account for the Coriolis effect?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=jX7dcl_ERNs

There are people debunking the guy. What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossby_number
thearmsguide.com/5329/external-ballistics-the-coriolis-effect-6-theory-section/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

have you never played call of duty you pleb ?

they do yes

Do planes going Mach 2 have to account for the Coriolis effect?

sounds fake and gay

for example if i were in a helicopter and i went straight up and hovered for a little bit, in theory i should be in a different place, but i wouldn't

so yeah

"when the bullet leaves the barrel of the gun, it is actually leaving the surface of the earth, so as the bullet leaves the barrel of the gun, the earth is still rotating and the bullet is not rotating with the earth"

Layman's terms? more like stupid terms.

You would only have to account for it if you were shooting a massive distance and it would only be pronounced if you were shooting due north or south, especially at high lattitudes. So if you were shooting from the south pole at someone in argentina then you would have to account for it yes.

Otherwise no, wind and initial release conditions would be affecting the bullet more

Well, the bullet is actually rotating as well, only that since it isn't in contact with the ground anymore it slows down.

More like dumbfuck terms.

Yeah its an actual thing that has to be allowed for

No but icbm's might have to

The bullet is affected by it. But for all intenses and purposes it can be ignored by your average sniper

When the bullet exits the barrel it's still "rotating" with the Earth, and the motion of atmospheric gases couldn't have any noticeable effect on that sideways motion unless you were firing at a target several miles away. You'd have to account for actual wind more.

How much it matters depends on how north or south you're shooting. Directly with the Earth's rotation wouldn't matter.

Eotvos effect is barely noticeably for small arm ranges but it matters quite a bit for long range ballistics like artillery

>Well, the bullet is actually rotating as well, only that since it isn't in contact with the ground anymore it slows down.

No, it's not because the bullet slows down, it's because of the inertia of the bullet as is passes over a long distance over a rotating body. There isn't anything wrong with his explanation.

This is something that isn't really covered in marksmanship classes. The whole notion that the Coriolis effect makes any major contribution to the accuracy of a bullet is a joke. Many contributing factors will effect it significantly more, such as wind, breathing, surface effects, and many other things. Earth's rotation wouldn't be significant enough to change the ballistics.

>earth turns from east to west.

>for this experiment we will shoot paralel to the spin of the earth

good fucking job

Here is a pic for retards like

That experiment has too many uncontrolled and unstated variables to be taken seriously. At the very least, they should have checked the tilt of the table in both directions, established for the viewer that the targets were precisely the same distance away and at the exact same elevation (for example using lasers). The gun should be fixed to the table instead of being aimed that freely. Things like wind, optical effects of heat etc. also can't be ignored, although they are pretty much impossible to compensate or neutralize outdoors.

But thats not got anything to do with the rotation of the Earth, just the curvature of it.
Clearly not what the man was talking about.

>What do you think?
I think that you can test it in a notebook by applying theory and see if the divergence is worth be taken into account for snipers

I literally just finished doing this and found the effect to be too insignificant for my calculator to be capable of doing the operation

Might wanna do it yourself anyway though because I have been known to be wrong

Nah I believe you
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rossby_number
>inb4 wikipedia
Well seems like none here have ever heard of it

>Barrett Sniper Rifle
>853 m/s muzzle velocity
>Effective range ~2kms

For f(max) = 2Ω

R= 857/(2000 *2*7,25*10^5)
R=0,78*10^(6)

The only answer to the argument is: LMAO

Sorry
0,29* 10^(6)
Not that matters at this scale anyway

For reference a tennis player that hits the ball across the court(24m) at WR speed (264 km/h) has a an R number of

R= 73/(24*2*7,25*10^(-5)) = 0,21*10^5

So Coriolis effect is about 10 times more important to a tennis player than a sniper

/thread
so
Not only did you make the piece of shit in the you tube video look dumb but you also disproved Coriolis compensation for both plane and bullet and debunked the earths spin.
post your reasons on the you tube comment section in the op.

thread is over.

>Heres a picture for retards

More like made by retards.. Do you even know what the coriolis effect is?

I'm a 10 time army sniper and I'll tell you that 5 things matter when shoot haji from over 3 miles away.

God, country, a bit of super glue, a fuck ton of luck, and that sweet pussy back home

Nice. I especially like how you reduced the issue to some muh feelings bullshit instead of posting scientific fact. How many confirmed kills do you have? Because from your post I gather you just eyeball every shot and somehow manage to hit anyway.
> 3 miles away
Bullshit.

Wiki
>a bullet does not fly straight from the barrel to a target. The Coriolis force minutely changes the trajectory of a bullet, curving the path of the projectile into a more arched 'semi-circle' shape. This effect only affects accuracy at extremely long distances and is therefore adjusted for by accurate long-distance shooters, such as snipers and other trained professionals.[18]

dispoved by

thearmsguide.com/5329/external-ballistics-the-coriolis-effect-6-theory-section/

This source says:
>firing a 175gr bullet at 2700fps muzzle velocity, from a latitude of 45° in the Northern Hemisphere, the deflection at 1000yds will be of 3in to right.

does this not add up?

The average velocity during flight will be less than half the initial velocity, obviously.
Spin drift is a bigger correction, but CE makes a difference.

I'll save that picture for a talk on science illiteracy thanks.

Have ANY of you stupid fucks ever taken a Physics course? This shit is basic kinematics. If a bullet is shot horizontally, it's velocity is the vector , with the y component being 0 because it was shot horizontally. Then, by Newton's second law, the only vertical force acting on the bullet is its weight, which would cause it to accelerate towards the earth.

You can all go fuck yourselves.

> Newtonian physics

>obviously.
why is that obvious?

To be fair I can't believe it took Veeky Forums so fucking long to realise it's insignificant. The guy in the video is an absolute pleb.

>"the bullet leaves the surface of the Earth"

No shit Sherlock but it still has momentum in the direction of the Earth's rotation. When I jump up and leave the surface of the Earth I don't change position.

>inb4 well you leave the ground for 2 seconds, that's not comparable

Same principle as when you fly a plane round the planet, you don't travel at your velocity plus/minus the rotation of the Earth, because you already have that fucking momentum.

It's literally as simple as this diagram, where the river velocity is the Earth's rotation.

>this river diagram having anything to do with the coriolis effect
holy shit shut the fuck up
just shut up

Fucking retard its not about velocity. Its abut the fact that the bullet is moving in a straight line but the earth rotates underneath it. The effect is only noticeable when moving north/south, and is most pronounced near the poles. So being in fucking iraq or sudan or whatever shit hole is getting bullets flying around will not get affected by coriolis enough for it to matter.

I've probably looked at the CE wiki's three times prior to this and never understood it reading it casually. Who writes Wikipedia's articles to be so unintelligible? Could just say "the linear velocity of the surface of the Earth changes due to the change in radius/distance from the axis of rotation, which changes drastically as you go north to south. An object like a bullet maintains its original east to west velocity when shot, which causes the bullet to appear to curve in relation to the ground."

you do know that you can actually edit wiki pages yourself?

Yeah I know, but none of the scientific pages on wiki would pass muster for teaching laymen. It's alotta work guy.

>it's not obvious that a bullet slows down as it travels
I don't think you belong here

Yes it slows down. That's not the question. The question is why this statement is true:
>The average velocity during flight will be less than half the initial velocity, obviously.

External ballistics is an exercise in estimation, not precise calculation. CEP is calculated for a 50% hit rate, and even if you're shooting sub .5MOA some of your shots are going to miss. It took Furlong 3 shots to make his famous kill in Afghanistan, and Hathcock's target stopped on a spot he'd already sighted in.

The Coriolis effect is just one more thing that you have to toss in there at a certain point, it's not like we calculate each holdoff perfectly every time.

samefag

The Coriolis effect is far to insignificant to affect a bullet over a distance of 1000yards, about as far as most snipers are likely to fire.

People vastly overestimate the coriolis effect, the Simpsons has a lot to answer for!