ROSETTA FOUND PHILAE

Many will not have much emotional reaction to this slow USA holiday headline, but the imagery is so definitive, and so important for the small amount of data that was captured and transmitted, that I post this thread for the few who feel an attachment to this little lander, and the new knowledge that she is not lost to the mission.

esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Rosetta/Philae_found

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEAR_Shoemaker
esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Rosetta/Frequently_asked_questions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_space#Radioisotope_systems
youtube.com/watch?v=H08tGjXNHO4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Here is how Philae has been oriented under the rock awning.

who cares about some old laptop

Man that's pretty damn cool actually, good for them.
So is Philae completely dead?

RIP lil piker

>So is Philae completely dead?
I believe the comet is too far away to make contact from Earth, and Rosetta isn't going to waste energy to get it going. I assume they've given up doing anything with it.

;_;7

Sleep well lil fella, you'll be remembered for eternity. Very far in the future, some astronauts may come by to this comet and say hello

There has always been a remote possibility that the 3-axis tumble of the comet could expose the solar panels to generate enough charge to wake up and make contact, but the increasing distance, and decreasing light levels make it more unlikely each day that will happen.

Philae is also dependent upon Rosetta, in orbit, to relay any information, and Rosetta will be crashed into the comet, on purpose, for its final planned observation suite.

6.45 years from August 2015, the comet will be back for another pass around the sun. There is the smallest possibility that a "Rosetta virtual machine" could be constructed to try to talk to whatever might still work on the lander, but the cost is prohibitive, and the chances vanishingly small. Philae is in a permanent irreversible coma, but we know where, and what happened. We have a solution, and the memory of a historical first.

Hours before

F

>stuck in a shadow
>only has solar panels

If you are landing on anything or leaving the solar system, you fucking need an RTG.

>you fucking need an RTG.

Guess how much they weigh.

That's not the problem. The problem is the ESA didn't develop RTGs. Lol europoors.

So low quality it can't even earn a bait image.

YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROPYUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP
YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROPYUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP YUROP

There were faint plans on partering with Russia to provide a RTG to Philae after NASA dropped out of the project because of low budget and a feeling that "landing on a comet was impossbile" (lol amerisharts). The idea was rapidly dropped as a RTG would almost double the mass of Philae and would require a long boom to prevent radiation from polluting instrument readings.

Actually, the us landed on an asteroid more than 10 years ago. We didn't find too much value in doing it again unless there was additional science to be done (hint: there wasn't)

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEAR_Shoemaker

Calling anything you disagree with bait is not an argument. The ESA admits they have not developed RTG technology here:
esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Rosetta/Frequently_asked_questions

>> All previous deep space probes have used RTGs [Radio-isotope Thermoelectric Generator]. Why did ESA choose not to use them for Rosetta?

>>ESA has not developed RTG (i.e. nuclear) technology, so the agency decided to develop solar cells that could fill the same function.

source for any of that?

>asteroids = comets
Lolm8. Comets, on their elliptical orbits, for first are much more difficult to catch that asteroids, who have simple, planet-like orbits. As from the science that can be retrieved from each, this really, really has absolutely nothing to do with each other.

ESA doesn't develop RTG indeed but using one for this mission was not acceptable. Not without redesigning the whole spacecraft.

And Japan returned samples from an asteroid. Asteroids aren't comets.

>.m

that is not a source user. Why didn't they choose an RTG when they were designing the spacecraft?

Because mass.

The mass of the RTG itself, add to that the needed shielding you have to staple onto sensitive instruments, the complete redesign of the lander itself to make room for the RTG's size, the additional room and adjustments that would have to go onto Rosetta...

It wasn't a hard choice to run the way they did. Amerifats might like to drive themselves further into debt, but its not for everyone.

Oh wow, they found it? That's pretty amazing shit. We talked about it in one of my physics classes

It would have made the lander twice as heavy and the radiation arising from the RTG would have needed to be blocked. This would have been possible either with a long boom, either with thick shiedling.

A long deployable boom would have been impractical since Philae was half-incorporated into Rosetta for most of the mission. The boom should have been deployed during cruise to allow from Rosetta's isntruments to work. But then you can't un-deploy the boom (since these things almost always use on-use explosive bolts), making the dynamics of Philae very weird and fucking with its centre of mass. Shielding was not acceptable either since then, the added mass is off the charts.

Solar panels were greatly sufficient for the nominal mission. And even as the mission didn't quite go as expected, Philae did complete its primary science programme

source: I worked on the mission as a master's student, but this can probably be found on the rosetta blog as well.

>all these retarded brainlet excuses

RTGs have been in space for many decades now, kid.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_space#Radioisotope_systems

>we don't want to waste money
>so instead we build something that fails and wastes fucking everything

KYS

please go back to /x/ if you dont know shit about spacefaring

Thank you for your oh-so precious comment. All space agencies around the world are grateful to you for having provided us with this wikipedia link.

Your reading comprehension is zero. Back to/r9k/ with you.

Take you insecurities elsewhere, murishart

>RTGs have been in space for many decades now, kid.
And nobody is claiming otherwise?

Just report and hide the troll's posts, don't feed him.

It is. But in the history of space exploration, it is also so satisfying. Despite the intellectual acknowledgement that anthropomorphizing machines is facile and stupid, everyone knows that the more involved in the mission, the more some people feel like they have personalities.

In a very removed analogy, Philae's body was not lost or left on the field. She was found, so we can remember each time the comet comes around, every 6.45 years, we know she's up there.

This desu. I always shit on ESA for their lousy PR (it still very lacking imho), but they did great with this one. And more importantly, the hype matched the scientific/real-life significance.

They even got CIA for a short film, their meme game is on point.
youtube.com/watch?v=H08tGjXNHO4

>being this ass rekt over the truth

Are you European or something, kid? RTGs are the only proper long term power solution to anything in space that may not be able to use solar 100% of the time.

that is still not a source user. You have not supported your assertion that "NASA dropped out of the project because of low budget and a feeling that "landing on a comet was impossbile."

>>source: I worked on the mission as a master's student
That is not a source. If you indeed did work on the mission then you could cite some of the design documents where these design trades were made, could you not? I am also sentient AI based upon a canine, but that doesn't matter, because this is the internet.

Well, the one time they tried with PR, that whole "patriarchy shirt"-thing happen, so they might stay low for a while? God help us if some fem-nazi social studies barista gets offended again.

>I am also sentient AI based upon a canine
Wolfman 2.0 confirmed?

Good to see you again, fella

F

What impresses me the most is how rough the comet terrain is. Not really a place where I'd try to land high-tech brittle electronics. But they did it and the mission was still kinda successful despite all the unknowns. Much respect

Congradulations space sproket... sauce

Sleep tight space pupper, you did your job

>so instead we build something that fails and wastes fucking everything
An RTG based lander wouldn't of increased the science. Philae's experiments activated. Those that didn't work did so because of it's crash landing, something which has nothing to do it being solar powered.

And we needed that science to unlock the next tier of parts at the science center

>RTGs are the only proper long term power solution to anything in space that may not be able to use solar 100% of the time.
And space based reactors don't exist in your world? RTGs are not a magic bullet, they are low output and expensive. You use solar as much as possible hence why Europa clipper is now solar as opposed to EJSM.

>they are low output and expensive
And really fucking heavy

You're a big comet

I really enjoy this picture.

PHILAE?

This.

Holy crap no wonder those harpoons didn't get a hold on anything.

YOU HAD ONE FUCKING JOB PHILAE

Years before

BRING HIM HOME
R
I
N
G

H
I
M

H
O